What's new

Star Trek - Nemesis (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
So is the Trailer on this disc or not? Traolers are probably my favorite "Special Feature" and I hate it when they are omitted. I love to see how they were advertised. I not only want to see the main trailer, I want the teaser and TV spots too! I was really disappointed that Generations idn't have the trailer. I guess that will be fixed on the Special Edition in a year or so.

About the movie.. I liked it, but there's always those little distractions that bother me... No explanation why Wes or Worf are back in uniform, no mention of Lore... Goin' hog wild on a planet with no concern for the prime directive. A photo of Jean-Luc from the Academy days with no hair! I know it's sounding like I have a lot of complaints... But I did like it, honest!

Hey even my favorite ST movie had me wondering how Khan could recognize Chekov, since he hadn't joined the show til the following season.

I guess in trying to make a movie for the broadest audience, they end up alienating the true fans that made it a hit in the first place.

Ric

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
What's really odd is that the teaser for Nemesis is included on the Star Trek III SE re-release from last year. So Paramount can't go to the "music rights issue" card on that one.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
They want to force you to buy ST3 or one of the TNG box sets (I forget which one) so that you can see it :)

I do have a cool looking Nemesis mini-cd that (I think) has the trailer on it. It's really neat looking, too bad the content is pointless. I think it came with my TNG season 6 box.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I was really disappointed that Generations idn't have the trailer. I guess that will be fixed on the Special Edition in a year or so.
I'm not sure but I swear that I read somewhere last year that Paramount was only going to do special editions for the first 6 original cast movies only. I don't remember where I read it so I don't have a source but I'm pretty sure I remember this. Of course I hope I'm remembering wrong because I want a Generations SE with deleted scenes like Kirk using the jet-pack. Can anyone clear this up. I wish they would skip ST5 and release ST6 SE, it's my favorite behind Kahn.

On the topic at hand, I throughly enjoyed Nemesis and thought that it was the best TNG movie.

Britton

Screenwriter
If they don't do a full on special edition of Generations, the least they can do is put out an anamorphic version of the movie. It will be really odd if it becomes the only movie that is a 4:3 letterbox transfer.

Rosano

Grip
By the way..I just bought mine here in Montreal at the local Future Shop....did you guys know that "until quantities last" we get a bonus Nemesis CD-ROM with this DVD. Its in the shape of the Romulan bird of prey. Its not insisde the case but its underneath a removeable cover that glued to the back of the case....pretty slick!!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Picked this up this morning and took a peek at it. Like I said, it's still a decent movie; just disappointing when you think about what it (very easily) could have been.

As for the deleted scenes, as with all movies, some of it is rightfully taken out, but now having seen the actual footage of the Picard/Data scene and the original ending, I am still trying to fathom why they were left out. The former is integral to the plot, and the latter would have been so much fun for the fans, whom the film was supposed to be for. It also would have provided the series with a decent ending if this is to be last film.

I'm disappointed that the missing wedding footage was not included, as it contained information about Beverly's leaving the ship, and the reason why Worf is back in a Starfleet uniform.

At any rate, even though the B4 subplot was frustrating (and it was probably Brent Spiner's idea, anyway), it's clear from the script itself that John Logan knew what he was doing. Sure, it rips off Wrath of Khan, but unlike First Contact, it understands what its ripping off.

Two scenes and some more wedding footage wouldn't have perfected the film, but it would have made it better, and it would not have made the movie that much longer. And the last scene would have given fans a little better feeling at the end.

I really did think the movie was okay (I still bought it), but like I said above, it's really annoying to realize how much better it could have been with just a little more careful editing.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Looked at my copy last night. Transfer is nice. The film is still the film, though. Soulless, by-the-numbers, what one would expect from the current regime. They wanted so badly to live up to the even-numbered image they ended up dishing out a TNG-ized Wrath of Kahn. But we know about B&B and their ways.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jack-

And the rip-off of Wrath of Khan was exactly what John Logan was going for, the best of the best of Trek's past. The stuff Logan loved as a fan.

I would not totally blame B&B, just Berman and Logan and Spinner and Baird. The rub is that they all thought they had a great product. It did look good on paper, Logan wanted everyone in the crew to have a moment, pay homage to the past, and try to include all the stuff that Trek fans love. But going by the numbers didn't work here. Too bad.

Nelson

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Enclosed: Free Nemesis CD Rom
According to BestBuy's ad, each store will have about a hundred of these DVD's.

NOTE: I noticed that some DVD's Yellow Circle tags were almost covered 80% by the BestBuy Price tag :angry: - so if you're not sure, turn it over and the back cover will have the little die-cut Romulan Bird shape CD Rom pictured in the middle.

Phil

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the promotional CD-ROM, but I can't for the life of me get it to fit in my PC's disc tray. Odd shaped CDs are a dumb idea.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I've got the promotional CD-ROM, but I can't for the life of me get it to fit in my PC's disc tray. Odd shaped CDs are a dumb idea.
Look under the little CD Rom, and you'll notice a small circle shape raised edge. Place and fit the raised edge into the CD Rom Tray, ... matching the small circle (indent) pattern and that will register & align it in the right CD Tray location.

My CD-R/W drive didn't read it, but my regular 50x CD Player did.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
The only Start Trek film I never saw in the theater...after "Insurrection" I gave up. (NOTE: This poster can't believe they actually pawned "Insurrection" off as a theatrical movie)...

I purchased this one but haven't looked at it. I know I would likely buy it on DVD anyway, so I figured I could miss it in the theater.

I just hope it is better than "Insurrection"...could have been called "Star Trek: Insufferable"...

Eric Berger

Agent
DDD has dropped the price to $15.78. It seems it pays to wait a week or so after a title is released as for several big movies I have noticed this trend of a $5 to $7 price drop shortly after release.

Heck of a deal at this price.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
FYI-

I checked the CD-ROM that came with the Star Trek TNG season 5 set and the content looks like it's the same, just the shape is a round disc. The interface is slightly different, thanks to Phil for posting the images. Can anyone who has both confirm the same content?

Regarding deals, I bought Nemesis at Costco today and the reciept has a printed mail in rebate of $4.00 dollars, so the Costco price drops from $17.97 to $13.97. Pleasant surprise, perhaps David Lambert already knew this...

nelson

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Well... I went into this not being a fan of TNG- either the show or the movies. When I say not being a fan, I mean I was just never interested- benign neglect, I guess.

I LOVED it. It was the most fun in the old HT in quite a while. Now I'll have to rent the others to see what I've missed. Anyone looking to show off their HT, this will do it. Great looking, with plenty of spatial sound.

I feel this really stood on its own, no need to be a fan to thoroughly enjoy it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know what, I'm not really a Trekkie, but I am a fan. I have seen all the previous movies and have my likes and dislikes, though I don't attribute blame to persons/entities like B&B or whatever, I don't know the ST world well enough to do that.

For background, I can say that I loved Wrath, I liked Voyage Home, I liked Undiscovered Country, loved First Contact, and mildly liked Insurrection. Given that, I loved Nemesis. I rank it right up there with Wrath and 1st Contact. Maybe a tad behind, but definitely a good ST movie IMO. If they recycled Wrath a bit, well a lot of ST films have been criticized for not being as good as that movie, so I don't see the harm in a little recycling. It ain't the only fantasy movie franchise to recycle itself...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I love the space scenes. Ive never seen space look so majestic and beautiful in a film before.

Also found the battle scenes to be pretty exciting.

Not the best, but not the worst either. Great performance from Shinzon. Better than Generations I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks