What's new

Star Trek Nemesis SCE (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Originally, John Logan had wanted to utilize Leonard Nimoy to an extent in "Nemesis", according to a TV Guide interview from 2002. Nimoy was unable to participate in the film, however.

Nimoy had also been considered late in the pre-planning for "Generations" as well, both in a cameo as Spock and in a directorial position. (This is referenced from Nimoy's autobiography, "I Am Spock".) When Nimoy got an early draft of the script and saw the limited amount of screen time the Spock character had been given, not to mention the limited amount of time for preparation in bringing "Generations" to the screen, he informed Rick Berman that he couldn't be involved but gave them best wishes on the project.

However, Mike,

can we say William Shatner and "Star Trek V"? :D

Joel C

Screenwriter
Colin-

I guess I have heard worse (I've reviewed some 500 DVDs). Nemesis just stands out because it was one I watched for my own enjoyment, not for review purposes, so it seemed worse. I only made it through about 20 minutes, actually.

The teaser trailer that initially got me excited for the movie used Elfman's Planet of the Apes score, so maybe that's why it isn't on the DVD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I want to see Rick Berman and John Logan apologize for this movie. But since that's never going to happen, the longer cut (seamless branching works fine with me) is a near must. It's not like anyone's going to upgrade the existing disc because of a three new featurettes that all say how great the movie is and that franchise fatigue is why it didn't do well.

I want to see both trailers and all the TV Spots. And if this is really the last TNG movie, I want a nice, juicy featurette about what TNG meant to the real world. Interviews with Stephen Hawking, Mae Jemison, some NASA folks and some larger than life fans really telling what the show meant to them.

Maybe a quick montage of all the famous folks that have graced the TNG sets from Majel Barrett to John de Lancie, Mick Fleetwood, Michelle Phillips, Hawking, Jemison, Ashley Judd, Leonard Nimoy, De Kelley, Mark Lenard...so on and so forth.

I want the real story about this movie, why Spiner really wanted Data to die, whose idea B4 was and what the thought process was behind some of the more inane concepts in the movie (the Argo, for one). I want a fan commentary track, MST3K style. If there is any Trek film worthy of being ripped to shreds, it's this one.

Make this the end all and be all of Trek movie discs. Leave no stone unturned, no actor un-interviews. Throw in everything plus the kitchen sink.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I didn't hate or dislike Insurrection, I thought it was more than fine as a TNG movie. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that both directors shot the script exactly the same... I don't think Frakes would have left all the TNG 'family' stuff (the wedding, everyone moving on, etc) on the editing room floor like Baird, his first time in the Trek world, did. Since Frakes intimately knows the world, the actors & the fans, I can't help but think Nemesis would have been a better movie.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Baird had a completely impossible job,making that story and that same "shields at 45%!" blabber work and making those same friggin hallways and consoles and the yellow, wrinkled Data work cinematically. Would a longer wedding and epilogue really help anything? Having said that, I would contradict myself and buy this dvd if Baird tried a radically different cut. Even if it failed, it might be worth a try, and the regular version still exists.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I came out of the theater thinking this was an OK movie, but I tried to rewatch it and couldn't stand it. It doesn't even seem like Trek to me. The CGI looks impossibly cheap (I hate the shots of the Romulan senate of 8 people) and the villain is utterly ridiculous and non-sensical in terms of Trek lore (plus, Jean Luc wasn't bald at 20, I don't think).

Insurrection, on the other hand, is total fluff but really fun, even if it does rehash Data's stupid plotline AGAIN. A much better series send-off, for me.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I would hope that if there is to be an extended cut, they have more/better stuff to restore than the deleted scenes from the current DVD. While deleted scenes are always interesting to see as a bonus feature, I didn't find these (with the possible exception of the Data/Picard scene) worthy of reinsertion. They were "good cuts".

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
An extended cut with unseen footage, not just the deleted scenes from the original disc, inserted is the only way I would re-buy this movie. Sure Paramount will get some completists that MUST have every CE even if they already have the other versions, but not many will double-dip for Nemesis as the original disc already had a ton of extra features.

I never bought any of the previous Trek movies on DVD until the CE came out. The only one I picked up was Nemesis as it looked to be a pretty complete package.

Paramount would have to shock me a la an extended cut to get me and obviously a lot of other people to re-buy this.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You are correct. There were a few flashbacks in the TNG episodes that showed him with hair when he was younger. The two that I can remember were when he was in the Academy, and when Jack Crusher died.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
The one major episode that I remember where Picard was not bald when he was younger was Tapestry, the one that dealt with his artificial heart and Q giving him a second chance at life and all that. Like I said previously, an extended cut would benefit the sales of the new DVD, but knowing Paramount and their habit of doing dumb things with some of the Star Trek properties, I'm not holding my breath.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Keep in mind that the 2-hour, 45-minute version was a rough cut, so I wouldn't want an extended DVD to be exactly that, but a version with some of the scenes reinstated would be nice.

I agree that some of the deleted scenes were rightfully taken out, but I thought the Picard/Data scene near the beginning was essential. It foreshadowed Data's death, it made Picard's later "new worlds" comment to Shinzon more relevant, and it was something that the final film needed more of: a genuine character moment. It also was one of the only scenes shot for the film that truly captured the essence of Star Trek, IMO. It was basically the equivalent of the "needs-of-the-many" scene in Wrath of Khan.

I also felt the original ending (especially the final line) could have been a nice sendoff, albeit with a little trimming and some music.

As has been stated elsewhere, Baird has said that the theatrical version was the "director's cut," but it could be nice if he indulged the fans (much like Jean-Pierre Jeunet did with Alien: Resurrection) with a longer version. It wouldn't fix everything in the movie, but it would make it a little more complete.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I think there are 2 or 3 possible explanations for Shinzon's big bald noggin: 1) his hair fell out 'naturally' because he was genetically modified to age rapidly (The Romulans wanted an 'insta-clone'), 2) he shaved his head to 'mirror' Picard, to help convince him that he was indeed a clone or 3) he was emulating his Reman 'family' and divorcing himself of his humanity.

It's 'pick your favorite explanation to the big ol' plot hole' day in the neighborhood. :D

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Speaking of plot holes:

Just having Wesley back in a Starfleet uniform is a big one! In the novelization of Nemesis, in fact, he's a full Lieutenant, and about to join Riker on the U.S.S. Titan. One would think, after the unceremonious way he dropped his combadge on Picard's desk in TNG's "Journey's End", he'd be lucky to be given a crewman's job swabbing out plasma injectors.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It's not just Shinzon's big bald noggin that's the problem. There is a scene in the film where Picard is looking at a younger photo of himself from the Academy days with the same big bald noggin!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Did they even mention accelerated growth in the film? Shinzon would've had to have been--the Romulans wouldn't have even KNOWN about Picard (much less stolen his DNA) until the end of TNG Season One when they "came back", only some 14 years previous.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Yes they did, when Beverly ran the DNA scan on the blood. She specifically mentioned that he was a clone, genetically enhanced to skip a few decades of his life. In essense, that's accelerated growth.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Digitals Bits announcing that Star Trek: Nemisis SCE is being released on 10/4/2005. MSRP $19.99. Extras to be announced.

Digital Bits

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks