What's new

Star Trek: Insurrection SE on June 7th (1 Viewer)

Britton

Screenwriter
The one thing I didn't like was that the writers with each successive movie scaled back Data's ability to feel emotion. First he had the option of turning it off in First Contact, but Insurrection took it to a whole new level by letting him remove it. I feel that giving him emotions was a mistake and served the short-sighted goal of providing comic relief for Generations, but they should have had the guts to roll with that developement once it happened. By the time Nemesis came around, that whole issue was completely ignored.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

This is true, too. I guess my main problem with some of First Contact (and to a much greater extent Nemesis) is not that it contradicts the series' history (although there are some minor instances), but that it ignores so much of it. Like Ocean said, they were trying to appeal to a wider audience, but you don't have to go so far that you forget about the longtime fans. The fans are who they should be aiming for first, and then expanding from there. I think that's been the main problem with Trek over the past several years, until Manny Coto took the conn on Enterprise.

An example: Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home are considered the most successful of the feature films and tend to be the most popular with non-fans, yet both of these films were very much intended for fans of TOS and even contain references to specific episodes. In fact, the whole time-travel plot device in Voyage Home is set up by a reference to "Tomorrow is Yesterday." However, the films still managed to be entertaining to the non-Trekker crowd.

I guess that's another reason I liked Insurrection; it seems to have been honestly made for the fans. Of course, an acknowledgment of the brief Troi/Worf situation could have been cool, and it would have been interesting to see Data continuing to struggle with his emotions, and...well, there I go again. :rolleyes

Now, how's that for total geekboy-ness? :alien: :p)

Joel C

Screenwriter
The main thing I didn't like about Insurrection was the Data story with the boy, all, "What is this 'fun'?" It didn't just go back on the emotion chip from Generations, but a lot of his growth in the series itself, I felt.

Still, I like it a lot as long as I don't dwell on that aspect, or the other problems.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Why would they have the same accent if the clone grew up in a totally different environment (world)? And I believe they explained the differences in facial features with him having been in several serious battles and having a rough life overall in the mines. That may not be the most plausible, but it's something.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
It's especially not plausable because Shinzon supposedly has gone through several accidents, and yet his nose still looks better than Jean Luc's! Those Remans must have some amazing cosmetic surgeons. :)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
One thing never addressed is how rapidly this Picard clone grew up.

The Romulans had long been in seclusion until TNG's first season episode "The Neutral Zone". That aired less than 15 years prior to the release of Nemesis, and the TNG timeline seems to be following along at about the same pace as the real world.

Since that was the earliest opportunity for the Romulans to have even heard of Picard, much less steal a DNA sample, Shinzon had to have endured the ever-convenient SF staple of "accelerated growth". But it was never addressed.

How's THAT for geek mode? ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I've not watched the movie since the DVD came out, but I thought there WAS some mention of that issue. Isn't that why the clone's disintegrating or something? I recall the clone being sick and I thought there was some discussion of his accelerated maturity in there. Could be wrong...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

In a future where you have a little zappy thing to heal cuts on contact, I find that acceptable.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Touche. :D Still, if the Remans were using Shinzon to get at Picard, you'd think they would have zapped him back to his original Picard appearance. As it stands Picard looks like he's had a few accidents compared to Shinzon's near perfect looks.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
I need to find something else to preorder that's going to be released during the same week as Insurrection, so that my order includes more than one title...

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Tom, thanks for the correction. I don't have an HDTV yet, and was just assuming, because it was an earlier ST DVD, that it wasn't anamorphic. Anyway, even on my old 32" CRT, I still thought the image was overly sharp (this I noticed on my 2nd, sober viewing, not the first one!).

Doug

Lars_J

Stunt Coordinator
Ernest,
I think you may be attributing more planning and foresight than Paramount deserves. I doubt thay had this master plan all thought out - they just tried to make the best movies they could at the time.

I also disagree that a TNG movie has to "earn" its fun (a well written comedy can be fun at any time) - or that "Insurrection" actually was comedy.

"Insurrection"/TNG in general was certainly not perfect by any means, but I think "Insurrection" is the trek movies that most closely resembles the series it was based upon - warts and all. And that's not a bad thing at all, if one is a trek fan. :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek V was better than this stinking piece of crap (the worst Enterprise episode was better than this!). The end of the line for the Star Trek franchise indeed. Nemesis was pretty pathetic too.

I may pick up First Contact SE for the DTS 6.1 track because that was the only Next Generation film I sort of enjoyed.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks