What's new

Star Trek III - no new cut (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Kahn was supposed to have those scenes put in, and it should have included the Peter Preston footage. Meyer regretted cutting it VERY early on, and restored the footage for the TV version.

The movie is that much better for it. Those 2 minutes add a much greater dimension to Scotty's character

TheoGB

Screenwriter
It's a shame it's taking so long, though. I'm sure ST II SE was meant to be out already but it's bloody August. :frowning:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I don't have specifics on what was cut from ST:FC, but I do know it was more vivid gore with regards to the borg. There may be more than that, but I know that much is true. They discussed the possibility of revisiting the footage on home video, but such has never happenned. This was discussed in interviews with Frakes back when the theatrical release was still a month off.

I'd also like to see any material left out of Generations, this can be presented as deleted scenes though. I know for a fact that an alternate ending was filmed. I know much more was scripted that may or may not have been filmed. I think the Geordi torture was filmed, but the opening with Kirk may not have been.

On Insurrection I think there was an alternate ending, and there may have been deleted scenes.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I'd also like to see any material left out of Generations, this can be presented as deleted scenes though. I know for a fact that an alternate ending was filmed. I know much more was scripted that may or may not have been filmed. I think the Geordi torture was filmed, but the opening with Kirk may not have been.
There are plenty of cut scenes from Generations. And the alternate opening with Kirk "orbital sky-diving" was indeed filmed. As was Geordi's torture and an alternate death scene for Kirk.

Neil

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
In addition to the secens mentioned above, I think there's also a scene at the end of Generation with Picard being picked up by a shuttle from where he buries Kirk. I remember seeing a picture from this scene on one of the page-a-day calendars.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is an alt ending for Insurrection. It took hours and hours to film, and then it was cut. I know that Frakes gave the actor whose name escapes me at the moment a copy of the footage because of all the hard work he put in

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand why no one thought Star Trek I was the best. This movie was more close to the TV series than any of the other films.
I disagree. I think ST:TMP closely resembles the way many people regard Trek, but the series itself was rarely so slow-paced, dull and ponderous. It also featured precious little of the excellent chemistry among the castmembers - that wouldn't return until Khan. I see very little resemblance between that film and the reality of the original series...

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Was the Insurrection alternate ending the part where Ru'afo becomes younger and fights with Picard? I have read about it, and I know that it was cut...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. I think ST:TMP closely resembles the way many people regard Trek, but the series itself was rarely so slow-paced, dull and ponderous. It also featured precious little of the excellent chemistry among the castmembers - that wouldn't return until Khan. I see very little resemblance between that film and the reality of the original series...
I didn't find it slow-paced, dull and ponderous. This was more of an intellectual movie, and because there wasn't lots of "action" with spaceship battles or phaser guns being used in the movie, many considered it a disappointment. (Star Trek original series was more intellectual than it was action packed. Most episodes had philosophical and political/social ideals.) The story of ST:TMP closely resembled an original series episode. I thought the overall "feel" of the movie captured the original series.

I also thought that seeing Spock come into his own and finding out who he was was key.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's it. Basically F. Murray Abraham had to stand still for about 9 hours for the complicated morph, and they ended up not using it

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't find it slow-paced, dull and ponderous. This was more of an intellectual movie, and because there wasn't lots of "action" with spaceship battles or phaser guns being used in the movie, many considered it a disappointment. (Star Trek original series was more intellectual than it was action packed. Most episodes had philosophical and political/social ideals.) The story of ST:TMP closely resembled an original series episode. I thought the overall "feel" of the movie captured the original series.
I'm sorry, but I found ST:TMP VERY slow-paced, dull and ponderous. Calling it intellectual doesn't change the fact that it took 5-6 minutes for Kirk's shuttle to get to the Enterprise, and we get to sit through every second of it. It also doesn't help us survive the endless scenes of people staring at the viewscreen, pretending to be awestruck at the size of V'ger. The story probably would have made a good TV episode, which is 45 minutes without the commercials, but it should never have been used as the plot of a 2+ hour movie.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Have you seen the director's cut of ST:TMP? I think it is a vast improvement. I was always bored to death by that film, and I am by no means a Trekkie or even care about any of the films after Khan, but now I like ST:TMP alot. On the DVD commentary, Wise talks about why they kept every inch of the scene when the Enterprise is slowly "revealed." He said he wanted to show how huge the ship is so that Veger would look even more massive later in the film. Also, I think a few of the "blank stare" shots later in the movie are cut shorter.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I suspect Star Trek II may be the last "Director's Edition" in the DVD series. Star Trek IV certainly has some cut scenes (Sulu meeting his Great-Great-however-many-Great Grandfather) but I'm sure they are all unusable for one reason or the other. Maybe they could reshoot the child actor who didn't feel like acting that day, but only if they have credible footage of George Takei reacting to him. Star Trek V is a total lost cause. Star Trek VI already is what the director wanted, so there's really not much sense is hyping something we've been seeing on home video all along. Generations could stand to show a little more Kirk, Scotty and Chekov (and Lord knows they have the footage), so maybe there's hope for that one. First Contact is fine as-is. Insurrection, however, needs a major recut to remove much of the misplaced idiocy (like the joystick scene and Worf's zit) and also restore some important parts (Picard and Anij actually kissing), but re-editing this limp mess would require reshoots, which is pretty much impossible now.

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
Have you seen the director's cut of ST:TMP? I think it is a vast improvement.
Yes, I have, although I don't know if I can directly compare it to the original, since I haven't seen it for at least 10 years. I also listened to his comments on why he made that scene so long, but I can't help but compare that to the opening of Star Wars. It was very effective at showing how massive a Star Destroyer is, and yet it lasts what, 15 seconds? And it's an exciting scene to boot. I think he could have conveyed the size of the Enterprise just as effectively in a MUCH shorter scene.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
but I can't help but compare that to the opening of Star Wars. It was very effective at showing how massive a Star Destroyer is, and yet it lasts what, 15 seconds? And it's an exciting scene to boot. I think he could have conveyed the size of the Enterprise just as effectively in a MUCH shorter scene.
Yes, or how in TESB they made the Super Star Destroyer seem so massive in comaprison to a Star Destroyer, again, in a fairly short time.

Britton

Screenwriter
IMO, there's a big difference between the Star Destroyers and the Enterprise. Whereas the Star Destroyers were simply vehicles some characters used for travel, the Enterprise was a CHARACTER, just as important as Captain Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. That unveiling scene in TMP was a reward for the fans who kept the interest alive and brought it back from the dead. I know if I was alive back in 1979 and saw the movie on the big screen after a 10 year wait, that scene would have really, really meant something special to me. Besides, it would be a crime if they broke up the scene, which would necessitate destroying that wonderful piece of music Jerry Goldmith composed.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I dunno. It wasn't nicknamed 'The Motionless Picture' for nothing, you know. I would like to see the SE, if only to work out if it's a lot better than I remembered in OAR and uninterrupted. I know I always had in my mind that Superman was pretty slow and boring but the DVD totally changed my mind on that.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Calling it intellectual doesn't change the fact that it took 5-6 minutes for Kirk's shuttle to get to the Enterprise
Do you know why it took that long? That scene was MADE for Trekkies so they could get their first close-up, detailed scene of the Enterprise. Just listen to the musical score of the scene while the tour of the ship is being made. Star Trek fans' mouths dropped when they wee able to see such detail from Enterprise in that scene. Your comments are taking that scene VERY much out-of-context.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks