What's new

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I care! To quote a character from another franchise.

That's very nice of you to offer your extra slipcase to the first person who asks. I'm going to keep my extra slipcase. Might use it and save the 50th Anniversary banded slipcase for posterity. :)

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Today the German BD arrived and I watched it instantly. As expected the Sulu scene is the fixed one.
I'm very happy with the PQ.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Received my replacement disc today with more than I sent in!

Attachments

• IMAG00639.jpg
    IMAG00639.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 106

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got my mailer but I haven't had a chance to drop it in a FedEx box yet -- but I am appreciative of the speed at which Paramount got it out to me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I sent the disc back yesterday, July 18. I will post when I get the new one, so we can measure the turnaround time.

I received the replacement disc today, July 25. I came home to a message on my machine from FedEx, asking if I received a package and to please call them back. I called and said I did not (because I hadn't). Turns out FedEx delivered to the wrong address, had to go back and retrieve it and bring it to me - which they did, in the same day.

My copy also had movie cash, although I have already seen the movie, so it arrived a bit too late for that.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I dread posting this but....

Anyone experiencing audio drop outs with the DC of Khan?

I got my replacement Khan this afternoon and was able to watch the Directors Cut end to end. Unfortunately, I am experiencing some periodic audio dropouts. There were perhaps 1/2 a dozen times throughout the film, and I would say the drop outs are only a second or so in length...very brief. If I back up and play the same scene again, no problem.

This is a TrueHD sound track, and I am bit streaming from an Oppo 93.

I have never, and I mean NEVER have had an audio drop out of any kind with any disc before. When it occurs there is no indication on the display of ether the player or the AVR. The video is un-affected. Connection is HDMI, player set for bitstream. The AVR is a Denon X4000.

I have read a bit about older players having issues with bit streaming TrueHD from discs authored with branching. The solution is to run PCM, which I am OK with doing, but won't be able to watch Khan end to end again for a few days at best. I also won't be able to see if the Theatrical is affected.

I have no clue about the authoring of this disc but given it has a DC and Theatrical on the same disc, could it be authored with branching?

As this is a first time occurrence, and my rig has been stable with no changes at all for the better part of 4 years, I am suspicious that the authoring of the disc is somehow tripping up the Oppo.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I dread posting this but....

Anyone experiencing audio drop outs with the DC of Khan?

I got my replacement Khan this afternoon and was able to watch the Directors Cut end to end. Unfortunately, I am experiencing some periodic audio dropouts. There were perhaps 1/2 a dozen times throughout the film, and I would say the drop outs are only a second or so in length...very brief. If I back up and play the same scene again, no problem.

This is a TrueHD sound track, and I am bit streaming from an Oppo 93.

I have never, and I mean NEVER have had an audio drop out of any kind with any disc before. When it occurs there is no indication on the display of ether the player or the AVR. The video is un-affected. Connection is HDMI, player set for bitstream. The AVR is a Denon X4000.

I have read a bit about older players having issues with bit streaming TrueHD from discs authored with branching. The solution is to run PCM, which I am OK with doing, but won't be able to watch Khan end to end again for a few days at best. I also won't be able to see if the Theatrical is affected.

I have no clue about the authoring of this disc but given it has a DC and Theatrical on the same disc, could it be authored with branching?

As this is a first time occurrence, and my rig has been stable with no changes at all for the better part of 4 years, I am suspicious that the authoring of the disc is somehow tripping up the Oppo.
My Oppo BDP-80 has the same problem with Dolby TrueHD discs with branching. The fix is to have it output PCM instead of bitstream.

Neil

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I'm actually experiencing a bit of lip sync issues with the new disc during the final 10 minutes of the film. It's only off by a fraction, and I was able to correct it by backing it up a few seconds (have no idea why this worked). It was a bit annoying. Don't know if anyone else has had this issue, or if it's my player, which is a 4 year old Sony BD player.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually experiencing a bit of lip sync issues with the new disc during the final 10 minutes of the film. It's only off by a fraction, and I was able to correct it by backing it up a few seconds (have no idea why this worked). It was a bit annoying. Don't know if anyone else has had this issue, or if it's my player, which is a 4 year old Sony BD player.

When I was Googling my audio drop out issue, I think I did run across users saying that they had both problems with discs authored with branching. Are you bit streaming? If so, perhaps try PCM.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've experienced a bit of lip-synch issues too on other discs. I haven't tried the new Star Trek 2 disc yet. What I'm finding is the culprit is the processor in my pre-amp. If I switch the pre-amp to by-pass, then back to HDMI, it's ok. I've found HDMI more trouble then it solves.

I'll try to test out my replacement copy of Star Trek 2.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I had the same problem, and I also have a Sony (BDP-S790). I assumed the player has problems w/ branching. However, I haven't noticed this problem w/ other branching discs (Close Encounters, Star Trek TOS).

Todd Mattraw

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Glad that a lot of people have gotten their corrected discs, but count me as one of the unlucky ones who haven't even received the return mailer yet. This week, I've begun to get steamed about it. I sent them my address when the program was announced, on June 22, and here it is July 20, and nothing. I wish now that I had returned the disc to Amazon and been done with it, but I'm well past the cut-off date for that. As far as I'm concerned personally, Paramount has been exceptionally incompetent on this and nothing more.

Just to update, I did receive the return mailer on July 25, followed today (July 27) with an email from Paramount letting me know that the mailer had been sent out on July 20 and for me to let them know if I didn't receive it within 3-5 days. So it was nice of them to follow-up and I greatly appreciate that. Disc was dropped off in a FedEx Express box this evening, hoping for a week turnaround, and then I'll be happy again.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Just to update, I did receive the return mailer on July 25, followed today (July 27) with an email from Paramount letting me know that the mailer had been sent out on July 20 and for me to let them know if I didn't receive it within 3-5 days. So it was nice of them to follow-up and I greatly appreciate that. Disc was dropped off in a FedEx Express box this evening, hoping for a week turnaround, and then I'll be happy again.

Todd, My turn around was one week. Dropped the disc in a Fedex box on 7/19. Paramount received it and sent the corrected disc on 7/21. Received new disc on 7/26.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Hats off to Paramount/Technicolor Returns Fulfillment Team for honoring my overseas order to Sweden(!!) (from amazon.com)!
I got my replacement disc this week through FedEx.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Hi All,

Could Paramount be changing the way they are proceeding with the replacement program?

I ask because I contacted Paramount to initiate the replacement via email and a voice message on Wednesday afternoon, yesterday afternoon I received an email from acknowledging my request and asking for pictures of my Blu ray (UPC Code) as well as a copy of the original receipt from the purchase. I proved the requested information right away.

This morning I received an email from then thanking me for the information and that a replacement Blu Ray is on its way.

No return mailer or anything.

I suppose it could be possible them they are trying to streamline the process. Has anyone else experienced this change in their operations?

Take care, Christian

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
BTW, I got an email follow-up, asking if I received the replacement disc. Pretty thorough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks