What's new

Star Trek II: CE delayed :-( (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
You know, I always assumed the Genesis Planet in Trek III was the planet Kirk and Co were "buried aliiiiive" in. I haven't seen it in a long while. If I watch Trek, I always seem to reach for 4 or 8.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
I always assumed that the Genisis torpedo had to be detonated on or near a dead planet.

As for alterations, I'd love to see some cut footage inserted that explains Peter Preston's relationship to Scotty. Since nothing's ever mentioned, most audiences probably don't understand why Scotty seems so broken up over his death. Was he Scotty's son, nephew, godson, gay lover? Who knows? Actually I believe in the cut footage, it's revealed Scotty's his uncle.

As for instert Space Dock in Star Trek II, it seems like a good idea. Since Trek II's overuse of stock footage cheapens the film a bit (I saw Trek I and II back-to-back in theatres years ago and people broke out snickering when the Enterprise leaves the Drydock - again). But I think adding Space Dock in II would somewhat diminish its great entrance in III.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
this will correct the famous mistake where Khan recognizes Chekov
Yes, it was a "mistake", but the simple explanation that everyone from the staff gave at the time was that Chekov was part of the crew, just not yet assigned to the bridge complement, so Khan encountered him during the ship takeover (Chekov probably put up a fight, or screamed one of his girly screams or something, and so Khan learned his name...the ST2:TWoK novel explains that Khan never forgets anything; part of his "powers").
As far as altering the movie goes: just leave it alone, warts and all. If they want to use seamless branching to include the deleted scenes, then okay I'm all for that. But I want the original version in my library as well. I already have the current DVD release, so I suppose I can just hang onto it, but I hate having the same movie on my shelf twice, y'know?
FX alterations and other mistake fixes...nope. Not for me! This is clearly NOT a situation like ST:TMP, where they had to leave it unfinished and blah-blah-blah (I'd STILL like the original version of TMP to be on DVD). This is a situation where the few nitpicky bad decisions made (using drydock stock footage, etc.) are being questioned and asked for correction 20 years later, and changing FX that were a product of their time.
No, I won't be a part of this revisionist filmmaking. Leave it the way it is! Thanks,
smiley_Spock.jpg

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I always thought that the SpaceDock was new and not yet finished at the time of ST II. That is why they are in the Drydock. But they could always add a shot of SpaceDock and say she's almost finished, or something like that.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
FX alterations and other mistake fixes...nope. Not for me! This is clearly NOT a situation like ST:TMP, where they had to leave it unfinished and blah-blah-blah
Right on; TMP was a different situation. It was truly an unfinished movie; they were so rushed that Robert Wise hand-carried the final reel to the premeire in Washington.

If Meyer wants to create a director's cut of Wrath of Khan, fine (by the way, do we know for sure if this is the reason for the delay or are we just assuming?), but they need to leave the effects alone. The only other Trek film that I think needs a director's cut would be Final Frontier. Lots of stuff was cut from that one, and say what you will about Shatner, I really don't believe the low quality of the film was completely his fault.

At any rate, I don't mind waiting a couple more months for Khan. I'd rather them take a little more time to do it right.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with ya on Final Frontier. Shatner's original cut, even after all the shit Paramount and Bran Ferran (effects) dragged him throguh, was 125 minutes. At the very least we should get that. And redoing some of the F/X would be welcome. New F/X too, like the rock creatures that were supposed to attack the shuttle after they torpedoed God and the tracking wide shot of God chasing Kirk across the desert (shatner has said he cut the scene because, once the effeccts were put in, it looked like he was being chased by a light bulb).

As it stands now, its a fascinating but deeeeeeeply flawed movie. And the camnpfire scenes are classics, and truely show the bond of friendship between the three men.

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
As far as altering the movie goes: just leave it alone, warts and all. If they want to use seamless branching to include the deleted scenes, then okay I'm all for that. But I want the original version in my library as well. I already have the current DVD release, so I suppose I can just hang onto it, but I hate having the same movie on my shelf twice, y'know?

FX alterations and other mistake fixes...nope. Not for me!
I couldn't agree with you more. My comments about "fixing" the Chekov mistake were meant to be sarcastic.

I wish this trend of altering movies for DVD releases would end. The original versions of some of my favorite movies are being thrown away forever, and it makes me sad.

StevenA

Second Unit
This is of serious concern!:angry: Despite whether or not TMP was improved with the changes, I was very disappointed that the film, as originally released, was not preserved on DVD also.
But are they now going to alter the whole series??
Please, preserve the theatrical releases, along with whatever other cut is presented.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Steven,

Other than ST:TMP, each Star Trek film currently on DVD is the theatrical cut. I see no problem creating director's cuts now for the new ones.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Trek VI isn't the theatrical cut either - insert standard rant about wanting the stupid Scooby Doo ending and the rest of the extra footage expunged from the home video version here.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I can buy the creation of the planet from the nebula.
I can too because the Genesis Torpedo simply (hee hee) rearranges matter (according to a specified matrix) from non-living into living. The source of that matter is irrelevant.
The Mutara Nebula is an incredibly huge source of matter in gaseous/plasma form. Our sun and every planet in our solar system was originally formed from such a nebula, so I see no problem that there is enough matter in Mutara to supply the raw materials for a planet (and sun).
I've always wondered what the plot device "proto-matter" is, as it explains away how the Genesis torpedo does what it does.
Proto-matter must be some super-special stuff, for if the sheer amount of energy needed to accomplish the creation of a planet/sun were contained in a device the size of an arcade game, with energy and matter being interchangeable, a device the size of the Genesis would essentially be a small star or black hole with the associated concentration of gravity. How do carry something like that, much less replace its batteries?:D
But in ST's defense, reality and physics never got in the way of a good story, and warp drive, matter beaming, and controlled singularities were everday occurances as readily available as a Dell PC.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hang on!

Donner recently did a MIGHTY fine job soiffing up "Superman" for DVD IMHO. He fixed the infamous "Green suit" shots!!! I for 1 think it's a better film now.

And since trek 2 already has a decent anamorphic disc out already, who CARES if the director releases a new cut as well?? If you don't want it, don't buy it! Nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head!

Sheesh! All the Blade Runner rants and now TREK 2!!!

These aren't everybody's films, they are the director's. THEY made them. If you don't like that they want to tweak their OWN films, make your own!!!

And show your displeasure the way it CAN hurt the studios, DON'T buy them! I thought SW Episode 1 was CRAP, and I won't buy the DVD. I'm hoping EPISODE 2 is good, but if it's not, I won't buy that DVD either!

Peace!!!! D

John H Ross

Screenwriter
SuSo, when Khan's ship blows up with Genesis aboard, how does his ship become a planet?
Surely it was planetoid that Kirk and co. were marooned on that became the Genesis planet...?
John

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I had sold my original TREK II DVD on eBay when I found out about the special edition, but I just re-ordered it from Amazon.Com(only three left!). I'll buy the Directors Cut, but I like KHAN as it is now and want to have a copy of it in it's original theatrical release. Especially if Meyer decides to excise some of the "There are always possibilities, Spock said" stuff near the end that he was opposed to. I have always loved those sequences.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Can anyone refresh my memory as to what was altered from the theatrical cut from VI the Undiscovered Country?

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
I'll never buy the original Trek II DVD again. I sold mine when I heard about the special edition and I haven't looked back since.

I just can't stand Shatner Durden inserted into the torpedo scene! (People with a close eye know what I mean!)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Rolando,
I think there might be more but, from what I know, all of the Colonel West footage did not appear in the theatrical version of Star Trek VI. That is why he isn't listed in the end credits.
And let me just say how happy I am. I think this might be the first thread I have started that has lasted longer than 10 posts! :)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Joel,

In the theatrical version, the assasin was never revealed to be Col. West. So the implication is that this was just another Klingon conspirator. The extra footage added a nice touch, as it further touched upon the prejudice within Starfleet.

Regards,

D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks