What's new

Star Trek II: CE delayed :-( (1 Viewer)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
According to the Bits, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Collector's Edition has been delayed from its tentative 6/25 date (although this was never formally announced anyway). It should be coming out later in the year.

Well, always the optimist, at least it'll be one less thing to spend money on in June.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
changing the dvd to a Director's Edition, which means a new cut of the film, is probably the reason for the delay. In that case, I will wait happily for the new release date.

PS- I didnt' mind the stuff reshot for the ending (the genesis planet stuff). Thought it was just fine. Don't know why Meyer doesnt like it, other than the fact that he didn't have say in it. Anyone know?

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
As I recall, Nimoy wanted OUT of the Spock cycle. So he wanted Spock killed off dead. Then he changed his mind, so they slapped up an ending, and brought him back.

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
I know! It sucks! It will be worth the wait though. I've heard it has been changed to a Director's Edition now. So now does the ending get changed? It was shot without Nick Meyer's involvement.
Am I alone in thinking this is bad news? I wasn't that impressed with The Motion Picture's Director's Edition, and am worried about them messing with The Wrath of Khan.
If it's only a matter of adding back deleted scenes, like the one where we learn about Scotty's nephew, I'm OK with that. But does anyone really want new CGI effects to replace the perfectly good originals? I don't. :frowning:
I'm holding on to the original DVD.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
If I was tied in a chair and forced to choose which special effects sequences to "fix," I'd first opt to clean up all the matte lines and then I'd say go ahead and remove all the stock footage that was cut in from ST:TMP. Upon further torture I would agree to having the fake-looking Genesis Cave redone.

The rest is perfect as-is.

This movie could be made to cut more seamlessly into The Search for Spock if the Enterprise is shown leaving Spacedock instead of the drydock. (Drydocks are for refitting and building ships anyway, not docking at Starfleet Headquarters.)

Of course, I am very much against putting digital alterations in this or any other movie.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Okay, maybe I'm just crazy, but here's what bothers me about the ending:

Genesis creates life from dead matter. In the demo film that Kirk watches, Genesis is shot into a dead planet and it becomes a living planet.

So, when Khan's ship blows up with Genesis aboard, how does his ship become a planet?

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly, the matter of the nebula is used to form a planet.

Whether this could ever even work is doubtful, but within the context of the story it seemed to make some kind of sense.

Great movie, not only in terms of "Trek", but for science fiction in general. Here's hoping the video is cleaned up a bit more and the sound track is just as active as director's editon of "The Motion Picture."

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Yes, I remember that they were in the Mutara Nebula, but I just don't see how Genesis turns the nebula into a planet. :confused:
Perhaps it has an invisible touch. :)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I will gladly wait a little bit longer for Star Trek 2, to bring it to the status, that The Motion Picture DVD is.

Star Trek The Motion Picture DVD was GREAT!

and I'm not a Star Trek fan.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
i also wouldn't mind the deletion of TMP scenes of leaving drydock and the addition of new CGI shots of Enterprise leaving Spacedock instead. Would help with the continuity.

Also, in the widescreen version, some of the mattes of the Mutara Nebula are visiably unfinished in a few shots.

So, CGI the sucker, but don't go overboard. Just do it ala The Motion Picture, and it'll turn out fine.

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
Wow, I guess I really am alone. Adding Spacedock to ST2? That's a horrible idea! I love Spacedock -- it's one of my favorite things in ST3 -- but it doesn't belong in Khan.
While we're at it, why don't we go back and put Spacedock in TMP? Hey, let's also digitally replace Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis (for continuity). They should also refilm everything so that Sulu is the Reliant's first officer; this will correct the famous mistake where Khan recognizes Chekov. :rolleyes

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
the Enterprise was not being refitted, just crewed. You don't use drykdock for simple crewing. Spacedock is the one used. It would simply be fixing a mistake.

I can buy the creation of the planet from the nebula.

What I want to know is, where did the star that the planet was orbiting come from??

Matt_P

Second Unit
I'm wondering if all of the eventual Star Trek DVD re-releases will end up being "Director's Editions..." I'm sensing a trend due to this delay. If so, I hope they improve these films tastefully, instead of jazzing them up to the point where new shots stand out like sore thumbs (can anyone say Star Wars SEs?). What I admired most about the TMP DVD is that the new shots were designed to emulate the special effects capabilites of the late 1970s, and not the computer techonolgy of today.

Also, if you look closely at the yellow/gold spine for the TMP DVD, you can kind of see an image fragment which resembles part of the Enterprise in drydock. Did anyone else notice this? When all these Trek SEs are released, will the spines join to create an image, similar to the VHS releases of years past?

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
As explained in the novels (II and III), when there was no sun for the new planet, the genesis torpedo activated the sun building routine.

Makes some sort of sense.

Also as far as Chekov goes, since they never introduced him in the original series, he just shows up, then we can say that Chekov was there the whole mission, he just wasn't on camera, so maybe Kahn saw him in sickbay and struck up a conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks