Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Scott D S, Sep 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Just bought the updated version. Will give my current one to my brother who will love it. Thanks for the info guys. :)

2. Ted Van Duyn

Ted Van Duyn Stunt Coordinator

It's funny that you see the multi-season arcs as a problem when I look at those as one of the definitive elements that got me so invested in the series to begin with.

When it comes to TOS and TNG making a majority of their episodes standalone stories, you kind of give your story a predictable element in that if none of these stories are supposed to matter, nothing will ever happen to these characters and everything will be played safe. While there are some moments where previous episodes are referenced and followed up on, they were few and far in-between.

When you have a show like DS9 where you have a cast of characters who are stuck in one place, it opens the doors for more character exploration and development since everything you do will matter in the long run. Plus it's a series that Star Trek desperately needed in order to flesh out it's own universe by having actual aliens be the main characters and letting the universe of Star Trek itself be more fleshed out. I know a lot of fans prefer stories where Humanity is supposed to be represented as the glorified perfect race who have solved all of their problems. It's a darn shame that no one realized that when you actually try to convey how awesome you are, all you wind up doing is sounding smug, arrogant and selfish, and that is Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG in a nutshell.

benbess likes this.
  3. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Second Unit

WHAT? So the hardcover version of the Cushman book I bought only two months ago from Amazon has already been revised and expanded? Good grief. As much as I love it, I'm definitely going to hesitate buying the remaining volumes if they are going to issue better versions just a couple of months later. Sorry, but I'm feeling a bit ripped-off now.

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Mark, you are not the only one feeling that way. If you care to, the These Are The Voyages Facebook page has two very good posts that give the reasons.In short, Cushman had to take a leave for medical treatment, cancer. He trusted the publisher to properly proof the book, plus he was rushed by them to get the book to publish and didn't include materials he wanted to include, plus he disliked the cover design. And in response to a lot of feedback, he thought swift action to correct the mistakes would please the fans. Instead, a lot of hate came out of this. I think the Facebook page will answer all the questions.

Osato, Mark_TB and benbess like this.
  5. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Just to make sure: I just got "Star Trek: Stardate Collection" set from Amazon (seems to OOP now?). Can I now sell "Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection" set?

6. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Aren't these the same transfers?

7. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Second Unit

Nelson, thanks for pointing me to the Facebook page. I was unaware of the details behind the updated edition. I have sent an email to the publisher. I hope they are offering a favorable solution to the situation. It IS a great book -- it's too bad something like this has happened to distract from that.

8. Osato

Osato Producer

Thanks for the update on the book. I was hoping to order it soon, but held off. Good thing I did!

Is the updated version available now on Amazon as well?

9. Nelson Au

If you want an updated copy, it's probably best to order it from JacobsBrown directly. I didn't see it on Amazon.

10. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Second Unit

The new edition is available from Amazon. They have both the Kindle and paperback edition, as well as fulfilling the hardcover orders for publisher Jacobs Brown. Just make sure you order the 2nd edition. Also, for some odd reason, the paperback is $32.47, while the hardcover is only $24.95.

Osato likes this.
  11. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

david dennis
    Well as of 5/9/2014 Amazon is listing Star Treks 2, 4 and 6 for a new release. There are no particulars listed, but I would be %99.9 sure this is just a repressing of the existing cuts.

But why?

Anybody know anything about this?

Osato likes this.
  12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Were the Star Trek movies included as part of the Paramount/Warners distribution deal? If they were, then I'd say that this a re-release from Warners. The only difference I've noticed between a Paramount 'original' disc and a Warners re-release is that there's Warner logos on the packaging and disc.

If it had anything new on it, there'd have been some kind of announcement so, as you said, it's the same disc.

13. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    The major franchises (Star Trek, Transformers, etc.) were excluded, and you are right, if there was anything new about them we would have seen some sort of an announcement.

Osato and TravisR like this.
  14. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I swear The Digital Bits had something on this not too long ago, but I can't find it. IIRC, they're simply reissues.

Osato likes this.
  15. Osato

Osato Producer

Still hoping for the director's cuts of The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country in 2016 with a new Star Trek film too.

Jason_V likes this.
  16. Nelson Au

Yes, I've been hoping the same for TMP as you know. :). But I wish it was sooner, a lot sooner.

Osato likes this.
  17. Camper

Camper Supporting Actor

david dennis
    It's kind of strange to say, but..............

if there is going to be a "Director's Editions" release to coincide with a presumed 2016 new movie---they'd need to start the ball rolling soon.

They would need to find all the film elements for Khan and Country that comprise the added scenes.
    They'd have to revisit the FX elements for TMP and get them to 1080p.
    They need to find any deleted scenes from all 6 movies that are out there.

(Hint: hey Paramount, the rough cut of Khan is safe and sound at the UCLA film school. You know where you donated it all those years ago. I've seen it---it has all the deleted scenes from the first 75% of the movie. Perhaps you could ask them to let you make a copy!)

They'd have to record any new features or new commentary by surviving cast and crew--Takei, Koenig, Nichols, Judson Scott, Chris Lloyd, Alley, Dorn, Warner, Luckinbill etc.
    They'd have to revisit the film elements of 1 and 3-6 and get clean transfers without near as much DNR.
    They'd have to find the correct color timing balance for Khan so it isn't so blue.
    They'd have to find any more promotional material---trailers and teasers and TV spots.

So if they wanted to do it right, they would be compelled to start soon.

But I am so desperate for the Director's cuts--I'd buy the movies with the added scenes for Khan and Country as upscaled.
    It's only 3 minutes and 30 seconds for each.

So perhaps in the next 6-8 months Bill Hunt may get a scoop. My guess would be that the first hint and the first thing that need to be done are the FX shots from TMP. If they wanted to do the project---that would be the starting place.

Why don't they want my money? I would pay $125 for such a set---NOT $125 MSRP---I would actually pay that much or even more.

it's my holy grail and the last catalog titles missing from my Blu-ray collection (I don't own the current set or will I ever.)

I am resigned that it will never happen.

Osato likes this.
  18. Osato

Osato Producer

Great post! I think 2016 still seems like the logical release date for a new set.
    Hopefully Paramount puts in a lot of effort with all of the TOS films this time too.

19. Nelson Au

I wish it was sooner.

20. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Second Unit

Thomas
    Wonder why they're reissuing II, IV and VI (and the 2009 film) on Blu, but not III, V or TMP at this time?