Star Trek Enterprise and Braga comments

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nelson Au, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I haven't seen any new discussions about Enterprise, so I thought I'd risk the "bums rush" and start one.

Two interesting events. New "Star Trek Enterprise" promos airs last night for season three. Bakula is doing a Captains Starlog regarding the new mission to the unknown Expanse and finding the Xindi. The traditional Starfleet arrowhead logo is now used to promote the series as well as the "Star Trek" name.

Also interesting story excerpted and summerized on Trekweb which Brannon Braga is interviewed by another site and discussing how he is tired of fans criticizing him for playing fast and loose with continuity. He admits to bending the rules, but never did he show a Romulan or said that Kirk never existed. He challenges the fans to cite examples, He wants to know where did he break the rules.

Interesting he is doing this. Is he in touch or out to lunch? I would only suggest that the biggest continuity issue is how the Vulcans are portrayed. We'll see how this Xindi business and TCW is handled, and how it could affect Kirk's time. Read the Braga interview here.

Nelson

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The fact that you can't play the "we never CALLED them that" game?

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, I'll give him one: "Stigma", where mind melding is only able to be done by a minority of the Vulcan population, and is frowned upon. Damn, things changed a lot by Spock's time. [​IMG] All of this for a lame AIDS parallel episode.

Mostly his treatment of Vulcans are just bad. Course, the biggest problem is the show is now going where every Trek has gone before. Nice to have an interesting premise, then just go ignore it, just like Voyager. Sorry, Brannon, but you bore me.

Jason

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Great. I've been backed into the position of defending Braga.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

In a Los Angeles Times piece that ran two days ago (can't link you; subscription site), Braga expressed further puzzlement over Enterprise's declining ratings and promised that in Season Three Archer would be "more rigid" (exact words) and that T'Pol would "loosen up" (exact words). Braga also said that there would be "more action" (exact words) and "lots of interesting new aliens" (paraphrase).

The heart races with excitement.

7. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

Grrrrrr, Braga and Bermen, you've devolved the ST universe, and now you're mucking with iconic characters and challenging fans to boot?!? What a way to drive an even bigger wedge between the franchise and the fans! Have they not learned with Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: Insurrection, Star Trek: Nemesis, and now Star Trek: Enterprise?!?! Mr. Roddenberry is rolling over in his grave!

Brrrraaaaagaaaahhhh!!!! Berrrrrrmaaaaaannnnn!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8^B

8. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

All I care about is watching 40mins of well-written, well-acted, imaginative science fiction. Continuity is nice to have, but let's get the basics right first. Beavis and Butthead should take a good look at some eps of DS9 and Farscape.

9. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    This guys ego and pompous attitude are two reasons why I dont like the guy, the other reason is he doesnt know how to write good characters that you like.

Nuff said.

[​IMG]

10. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Forget about the Vulcans and Romulans. What about the Klingons? The very first episode of Enterprise showed a future day Klingon (Next Generation era) with the long hair, uniform, etc. before the ship ever took off into space and we are supposed to be meeting the Vulcans for the first time, etc.

In the days of TOS the Klingons looked a lot like the Romulans and this was explained away in TNG and DS9 with Worf talking about the cloning that went on with the Klingon Empire. This changed their looks.

Enterprise has been full of all sorts of bad stories, poor writing and more. The should have stopped the series about Voyager and given it a rest for a few years.

Parker

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I just think it's sad that the producers of the show and its "fans" are hostile toward each other. The idea that Berman is challenging fans... ugh. Kind of goes against the very nature of Trekdom.

12. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

13. BobV

BobV Second Unit

A Star Trek walking encyclopedia will be able to correct me [​IMG] ... but I believe Worf said that it was a "period in their history that they don't [like to?] talk about". From those comments, the Klingons very well could have looked as is orginally (Enterprise)... then had these 'issues' or whatever later (TOS)... only to later overcome/change/renew/fall-back-to/correct/whatever the 'issue' later in TNGs time.

I see no continuity problems there. That and I accept that we have better makeup technologies and budgets nowadays that they can be made to look 'more correct'. The same reason why I have no problem that the interior of the current Enterprise looks a-way more hi-tech than Kirks piddly cardboard-and-etch-a-sketch-like sets.

14. Rollie

Rollie Stunt Coordinator

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

16. Will_B

Will_B Producer

17. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I wouldn't even mind if Berman & Braga somehow miraculously started writing good television again. I'm just not going to accept mediocrity any more, and I don't see much evidence that B&B are capable of anything better right now.

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hence the need for the revolution.