What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 5/26/'04 "Zero Hour" (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Randy's post #128 makes sense and shows a remarkable effort on the writing staff or one writer of Enterprise to maintain continuity between this show and DS9 regarding Kemocite and it's temporal effects. So the last controversial 5-10 minutes of Zero Hour is likely explained.

This season also tells us that such a long arc can be a bad thing because if you miss one show, you miss that one subtle clue. I didn't hate the last 5 to 10 minutes, it does have me guessing what did happen and how they'll resolve it.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I watched most of the episodes throughout the season and still thought the cliff hanger was stupid and pointless. Trek used to use time travel sparingly and then it got more and more pronounced. We finally got to the point where it was hard to believe Janeway wasn't locked up for all the timeline changes she was involved in.

Then along came Enterprise and raised the bar again. Not only do we have the stand alone type episodes of time travel they have entire seasons with long running threads using it. First we had the Suliban and whoever the future person was that was controlling them, and then we had the Xindi also being controlled by being from the future. It's just sad that they not only capped off the season with time travel but that it's the best they could come up with.

There are lots of decent SF writers out there that can write stories without time travel, or even without it every 5 minutes. I think it's just time to admit that this particular plot device has gone way past being a crutch for the writers. It's even gone past being a wheelchair. An electric wheelchair perhaps?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, given the individual episodes of Enterprise I've seen this season, that's setting the bar pretty low. And remember, it was that terrible story arc that basically pushed me away in late April. All the good things I'd heard about this episode prodded me to give it a try, and I found it to be just as incompetent as the previous episodes.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Joseph Bolus wrote (post #154)

You may be right on the quality of the writing, but, as I've said before,---and I've read several articles on this in the press over the last decade---the reason we have so many "cliffhanger endings" between seasons is that tv producers and their marketing people got the idea of using this device to build an audience for the next season, and expect "water-cooler" word of mouth to help them build an audience for an "eventful" season opener (often by drawing a summer-time audience for the repeat episodes of the outgoing season). It's not the writers, necessarily. It's pure "marketing-think" that’s behind the trend.

Don't expect that to change. Marketeers always take the "easy way" out in doing their jobs.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I do think it will change if only because the market is changing - studios will find it more valuable to have a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end for the DVD set, and re-runs for serialized shows are now all but gone. Besides, I think the sheer number of shows doing cliffhanger "finales" has diluted the impact quite a bit since "Who Shot J.R.?"; look at the lengths NBC went through to hide the resolution to Crossing Jordan's cliffhanger.

And, wow, that's an ugly sentence I wrote there. Ugh.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Good thing they dont have Holodecks on the their ship. We would get a lot of that plot contrivance too.
Wasnt they whole reason Enterprise and Voyager were created was to start new but as always Enterprise always falls back on the been there done that.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Not to resurrect what may be a dead horse, but I watched the episode again on Sunday and something hit me. Chances are it might even be a clue...

Bob V posted in Post #123:

I stopped the TiVo at the same point in Bob's pic and noticed the insignia is missing the red stripe commonly found in the Air Force (then Army Air Corps) symbol. The AS designation may indicate the air field it came from, but couldn't it also stand for Allied States?

If World War II has gone on longer than it should have, isn't it somewhat feasible for some of the nations to unite into some kind of confederation? History does seem to have gone haywire after all.

De

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I know what you're getting at but unless there has been even more changes to our history, WW 2 couldn't go on for much longer than it did. The bomb would have been invented (by either side) and/or the Axis would have run out of gas and other raw materials they needed to keep their war machine going.

(I think) I hope that Archer is in Germany, and that it's like 1942. I also think it would b neat if Archer took advantage of what he knows about WW 2 to get out of town ASAP.

Glenn

PS - and no, we're not a dead horse.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Captain Archer has taken a QUANTUM LEAP into the body of some other person in the past. If he can "right" the "wrongs" of history, he may be able to make that final leap... home. :)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Now that would be nice. Leaping from Starfleet Officer to Starfleet Officer to make things right.
Ziggy will be joining the cast next season in a semi regular roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks