What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 09/17/'03: "Anomaly" (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
episode title: "Anomaly"
episode: #54
original airdate: September 17, 2003
writer: Mike Sussman
director: David Straiton
synopsis: "The mission to find the Xindi takes a grim turn when Enterprise is crippled by inexplicable, destructive spatial anomalies that distort the laws of physics. With systems down, alien pirates board and raid valuable supplies from the ship. The crew captures one of the marauders and a determined Archer interrogates the prisoner."

Well, now maybe we'll get some specifics on these "anomalies".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The ad for this episode had the captain decompressing the cabin where the prisoner was held in what's practically a shot-by-shot ripoff from an episode of Firefly.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Oh, thank goodness. I was afraid they'd come up with something that's already been done on Star Trek.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
A(nother) decent ep. Enterprise isn't using it's reset button. :emoji_thumbsup:

That's no moon...

Those who had problems with the gravity anomaly last week are going to have a field day complaining about this ep.

The main arc is progressing well. Nice to see them referencing things from last week's ep. If only they had some decent dialogue to match the improved story and editing.

Was that really Robert Rusler under that make-up? Seems he survived his Starfury exploding afterall. ;)

(edited to remove spoiler tags)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Oooh, I cant wait.

They are running out of ways to titilate the audience.
Whats next, the sex toy planet?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Very good episode. This show may have found some traction under its feet after all.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Who is your daddy and what does he do!
LOL!!

Good episode.. Coulda been alot edgier.. Malcolm could've been forced push a grinning Archer out of the way to open the door, etc. Be a nice change up from the "We're too good to sink to their level, We're Enterprise, dammit" norm.

Kinda getting sick of the "crew knocked unconcious (or something)and thier ship is pillaged" bit..

Best of all, only one scene of people in various stages of undress!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why the major wasn't in this episode leading the MACO's with Archer. Maybe cause Archer was leading the group.

Only one nitpick, Archer referred to the search teams as "Away Teams". I thought that was a term only used in Picard's time, Kirk would call them landing parties.

Other than that, it was pretty good.

Nelson

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
Good episode tonight - I enjoyed it. The tension was better than in any previous episode, and I'm willing to forgive the forced nature of Archer and Trip's 'tudes if they keep up the good work.

Better action, better camera work, and I daresay that it's probably as far from any re-hashing as this series has been to date.

I hope that Archer and Trip's anger/frustration strategy is groundwork for character development. That is to say, I hope that Archer's actions will have consequences as the episodes go by. I like that he's walking a fine line; however, he's a Starfleet captain, and if there's consistency in the characters, Archer will have to answer for many of these 'edgy' actions. If there isn't consistency, then one day the writers we'll get some one-liner by an Admiral exonerating Archer for all the nasty things he did, just so they can move the plot along.

But enough of that - there'll be plenty of ridicule for this episode...but I liked it!

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
Archer is starting to remind me of Kirk in that episode "Obsession". He has a single-minded focus on the hated enemy, and it is affecting his judgement on the safety of the crew and the ship. It also is a lot like Buffy in her last season.

Not that this ever happened to Picard or Janeway. We usually only had to see Dark Picard or Dark Janeway for one episode at a time. A whole season of Dark Archer might be a bit much. The new direction doesn't seem to lend itself to any lighter, more humorous episodes to break things up.

I'm not sure why T'Pol decided to stay with the Enterprise. It's not like Archer or Trip ever listens to her advice.

BobV

Second Unit
Excellent episode, now if that's a sign of the 'new direction', bring it on. One of the best yet of the series.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Bare with me for a moment please, I watched the first dozen or so episodes of the Enterprise than didn't watch it for awhile, not by choice. Just watched my first episode last night. I found out most of the answers to my questions already but Why is T-pol not in Uniform anymore?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not bad. Mike Sussman co-wrote some decent episodes over the last couple of years, and turns in a pretty strong one here. I can't help but think that all the other writer/producers are much more tuned in to what works on Enterprise than B&B: We get spacesuits, hostile/unusual environments, a general feeling that the galaxy is less safe, but also more interesting, than in Picard's time. The production values are a whole lot better than last week, too - the soundtrack isn't bland wallpaper, for instance, and the camera work is interesting, even in the FX shots. The environments, from Engineering to the giant station, also looked good.

That said, the anomolies are still deeply stupid, and they're overplaying Archer's aggressiveness. That scene of him tossing things around in the pirate base is goofy (considering what the pirates stole from you, those could be damaged antimatter weapons, dumbass), and some of the more level-headed crew members should really start worrying about his behavior soon (which would give Malcolm, Hoshi, and T'Pol something to do). The pirate's "you're too civilized" talk also didn't ring true.

Speaking of Hoshi having something to do, some consistency on the language barrier thing would be nice.

So, the show's flawed, but it still can be pretty entertaining when someone other than Braga or Berman writes it (you hear that Paramount?).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
but it still can be pretty entertaining when someone other than Braga or Berman writes it (you hear that Paramount?).
And, looking at TrekToday, I see they don't have any writing credits until at least October; maybe the mountain's wising up. I also notice John Shiban doesn't, either, and I don't think I saw his name in the credits last night as a producer. Did B&B chase off another good writer who was a threat to their job security?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode was a bit better than last week's opener. Maybe they'll be able to translate it into some story momentum this season...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks