Star Trek DVD future release info

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nelson Au, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I posted this within another thread, but it's fading fast. I think it's of interest, and in the past, these are frequently asked. Here goes. If the admins wish to remove, please do.

Richard Arnold writes a question and answer article for the Star Trek Fan Club magazine. He's also the resident Trek expert .

This month's issue sees a batch of DVD related questions. He asked Paramount Home Video for information, and the answers are as follows:

Re: More DE's of Trek Films? Only Star Trek 1 and 2 will have directors cuts. The rest are Special Collectors editions with theatrical cut. ( I assume Trek 6 is the home video cut)
    Re: Star Trek V redux? no plans, only theatrical cut, coming this fall
    Re: TNG CE's? expect to see CE's, too far out to know specifics
    Re: TOS Animated Series? No current plans, not likely if you ask me.
    Re: Voyager DVD's? Likely expect to see them following DS9.
    Re: TOS reissue in box sets? Possible, but nothing on the drawing board yet .

No word on Enterprise on DVD. Interesting tidbit, some one asked if Star Trek-The Motion Picture DE will be used on TV rather then old cut. He couldn't get answer, but likely not, due to fees already paid and extra fees needed to pay for the new cut to actors, director, etc,etc.

Nelson

2. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

In a recent online Q&A session for the Deep Space Nine Avatar website, actor and writer J.G. Hertzler, who worked on the bonus features for the Star Trek IV CE DVD, said that he is currently hoping to work on the bonus features for the Star Trek VI CE DVD. However, that may change with other projects he is working on.

Mr. Hertzler did confirm that he is not going to be involved with the Generations special edition DVD, but that he did get to see the tribute video to Matt Jeffries that is going to be included on that DVD release.

3. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

It's nice to get some word from the studio on their future plans. It's too bad there won't be a DE of Star Trek V, I might've been interested enough to check that one out, though I understand them not wanting to spend more money on a weak film.
    I'm glad Voyager's going to be released too. I think most of us assumed it would come out after DS9, though given the series lower profile, it didn't seem as sure a thing. Personally, I think seasons 3 through 5 would be worth picking up.
    If TOS series were to come out in a more affordable season set form, I'd like to pick it up too. Though, even the Star Trek season sets seem to be priced at a bit more than similar sets of other shows.

4. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Come on! At least give us the Theatrical version of ST VI.

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'm hoping for seemless branching on Star Trek VI.

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I don't suppose there's any chance of seeing the theatrical cut of TMP?

Oh well, at least I have my laserdisc.

7. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

8. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

9. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

If TOS series were to come out in a more affordable season set form, I'd like to pick it up too. Though, even the Star Trek season sets seem to be priced at a bit more than similar sets of other shows.>>>>

Agreed. That's too many single releases to have laying around, and not a space saver. This coming from a Dragonball Z fan with about 40 individual releases sitting around.

Although, I wish they'd re-work the effects like they did for TMP. Sicne the original show is on DVD, fans shouldn't have a problem with a 'remake'.

getting a bit further off topic, Now that I think of that, wasn't there supposed to be a 3D game based on new recordings found of the original cast? Whatever happened to that?

10. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I'd like a TOS boxset too along with the interviews they did with the cast when they first aired the remastered episodes.

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

12. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Dewitte: Sorry, sounds like you misinterpreted my post regarding Arnold and the TOS animated series. All he said was that there were no plans, I added my own opinion that I didn't think Paramount would release it. Though I think I recall hearing him say it was not canon at a convention once.

Britton and Mark Wilson: Regarding Trek 6, again, I was assuming it would be the home video cut in my post. I don't know what the real cut will be used for the DVD. But given the past laserdisc and DVD, I figured it would be what's been released already.

Neil V: Regarding your comment about redoing the effects on TOS, Did you know that some enterprising guys tried to do that in the late 90's? I happen to download a short video clip they created. It was a sequence from the Doomsday Machine where Decker is attacking the machine with the Enterprise and Kirk and Scotty get the Constellation going and fire at it to distract it. This guy actually took scenes from that episode and edited in his own CGI effects of a wrecked Constellation moving and shooting phasers and a redesigned CGI Doomsday Machine. It was not bad actually. I didn't care for the machine's design they did.

Nelson

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

14. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Are you sure about Rene not being in the theatrical version at all Jason? I seem to recall the scene with him and a pointer outlining a rescue plan and saying he will "clean their locks" in the theatrical version.[​IMG]

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The old phrase is "Clean their clocks". [​IMG] Try this on for size.

You know, I have never seen this in theaters. So I hope both versions are included...the one I'm familiar with, and the original theatrical presentation.

Since I already have the old DVD, I alread have the version I'm familiar with (the "Scooby Doo ending", as y'all like to call it...which I've never considered to be bad at all!). So getting the alternate, original edit would be superb.

16. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    The line in the film is "clean their chronometers". And yes, all of Rene Auberjonois's footage was added in for the video release. So was the scene just before the trial where Valeris, Spock and Scotty talk about about the torpedo inventory. The scene is also notable for having Kim Cattral sliding down a pole, several years before Sex in the City. [​IMG]

Neil