What's new

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Honestly I'm worried this might not happen after all. I know TNG sold pretty well on Blu-Ray, but what is the cut off for DS9 or what fraction of casual Trek fans will bite on a Blu of this great series? I know If I stopped with TOS, and TNG I'd be happy. That's not to say I wouldn't buy DS9 in a heartbeat if it were released because I would. But I think the hardcore trekkies (trekkers..whatever) would be overjoyed, and a majority of the casual fans (those with Blu-Ray players) would be into it. But do those numbers equal the costs of remastering?
I'm still upset the X-Files on Blu-Ray has gone quiet. I thought at Comic Con We would have heard something. Maybe next year....along with Buffy.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's easy for me to forget what a big project TNG HD was. And DS9 would be even more difficult in terms of recreating the SD CGI. I remember hearing Rick Berman saying during the last season of DS9 something to the effect that polls and ratings show that most people felt like they had "had" their ST with TNG. They were in high school or college during TNG and now they were grown up with families and really not watching ST anymore. How is that relevant to DS9 HD? Simply that there weren't/aren't as many ST fans to buy it, because not as many ST fans (by far) ever really watched it. Who knows if that would be the reason not to do DS9 HD, but I would think that reason certainly wouldn't help the cause.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
smithbrad said:
DS9 is probably the most wanted series on my list of remaining shows to get.

With respect to the Star Trek TV series in general, I picked up the remastered TOS DVD's before upgrading to BR. With Enterprise I ended up with the UK release on DVD before upgrading them to BR. With TNG I managed to hold out until the BR releases. I was really hoping to do the same with DS9, but all this talk has me leaning towards getting the UK DVD's as insurance in case it never makes it to BR. I probably would have done it sooner except for the questionable reviews about the video quality of such a dark series. Especially, the last season. The R1 releases are just too expensive for me, but the UK sets I could handle. Decisions...decisions.

Brad I hope if you do buy that you get the real thing. I bought Chinese bootleg from Ebay several years back along with many others. We all got together who purchased and we or I should say I received my money back and bought the real thing direct from Amazon. I reported on what happened to me many times way back on this thread. I just do not want other members to fall into that trap.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Mark Collins said:
Brad I hope if you do buy that you get the real thing. I bought Chinese bootleg from Ebay several years back along with many others. We all got together who purchased and we or I should say I received my money back and bought the real thing direct from Amazon. I reported on what happened to me many times way back on this thread. I just do not want other members to fall into that trap.
Yes, I remember reading about that. Unfortunately, Star Trek series are heavily in the counterfeit market and not always easy to identify. I recall hearing about Dark Shadows counterfeits, as well.

I ordered directly from Amazon UK, not the market place. It came to $136 shipped for the whole series. I checked a disk from each season and all are completely filled dual layer disks. I recall that knock-offs usually compress to single-layer disks. Thanks the refreshing my memory about the warning.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil Middlemiss said:
Well, that made me want to re watch the entire series...again!
+1

I keep putting it off hoping for a blu Ray announcement.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Although anything is possible, it is highly unlikely the series will be coming to Blu-Ray any time soon. It would cost substantially more than TNG did, and the return would likely be far less.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
At some point DS9 and Voyager will be given the HD treatment. It's the only way to keep the shows viable to an audience that is used to watching high def television. When that happens, there will be a blu-ray release. It may take a regime change at CBS; someone new to say "we have to protect our assets and put them to use." The shows may not get the Cadillac treatment that TNG got, but they will get some kind of upgrade eventually.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The transfers for the DS9 DVDs are so bad that I honestly believe if they got the one-inch and upscaled it, massaged the picture and sound, they could release an HQ DVD set and make some $$$. I'd buy it just because watching the DVDs I have now is painful. Of course it's not ideal, but what we have now could be greatly improved and it wouldn't cost 7 million to do it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Carabimero said:
The transfers for the DS9 DVDs are so bad that I honestly believe if they got the one-inch and unscaled it, massaged the picture and sound, they could release an HQ DVD set and make some $. I'd buy it just because watching the DVDs I have now is painful. Of course it's not ideal, but what we have now could be greatly improved and it wouldn't cost 7 million to do it.
Not only that, but I heard also (I may be mistaken) that the packaging was not that great either, in that it was very hard to keep open to get the discs out. Is that true?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, I actually took my discs out and repackaged them (all my ST DVDs for that matter) because all the packaging for every series was terrible. Just terrible. The worst I have ever seen, both in safely storing the discs and in ease of use (with the exception of TNG, it looked bad on the shelf, too).

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Yes, the dvd packaging of DS9 was terrible. I thought that it was the worst that I had seen, until I bought Hogan's Heroes and Stargate SG-1. Both were packaged in cardboard (!) sleeves that scratched the data side of the dvd! Unbelieveable!

I returned the Stargate set for a refund, as the discs were badly scratched when I first opened the box. I was able to salvage Hogan by carefully removing the discs from the cardboard sleeves, then storing them in my own sturdy plastic cases.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It amazes me that after all this time, studios still don't "get it," and continue to package their product in not only hard-to-use containers, but containers that damage their product. They also fail to grasp the "shelf friendly" concept of packaging. The only thing I can say has improved is that, on the whole, the packages are thinner than they used to be, and do take up less space.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
rjd0309 said:
Yes, the dvd packaging of DS9 was terrible. I thought that it was the worst that I had seen, until I bought Hogan's Heroes and Stargate SG-1. Both were packaged in cardboard (!) sleeves that scratched the data side of the dvd! Unbelieveable!

I returned the Stargate set for a refund, as the discs were badly scratched when I first opened the box. I was able to salvage Hogan by carefully removing the discs from the cardboard sleeves, then storing them in my own sturdy plastic cases.
That was the major reason why I praised how Shout! did that full-series Barney Miller release: because the discs of the same were packaged in jewel cases (5 in the first case with Seasons 1-2, 6 apiece for the 3 cases with the remaining six seasons, and one more case with 2 more discs for Fish), and as such were very well protected.

As for salvaging the discs by moving them to sturdy plastic cases: some have done the same with that full one of M*A*S*H, so what you did with the Hogan's Heroes release was a very sensible thing.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
If they put DS9 out on Blu-ray, I'd buy it without hesitation. Maybe without even looking.

Of course, I might come home with a box set DVD of "The Land Before Time" movies by mistake, then go back to the store and buy DS9 and watch all of them anyway.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The OTA sub-channel Heroes & Icons
logo_home.png

is running apparently all of the Trek shows but the DS9 transfers look horrible and are in Mono :( . The Voyager ones are slightly better. I don't think I've seen the Classic or TNG ones on H&I but i hope they're using the transfers used on MeTv - at least for Classic ...
http://www.heroesandiconstv.com/allstartrek/

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
H&I is indeed using the high-def masters for TOS and TNG. I've only seen small parts of DS9 and VOY, and they do look bad in comparison. I've not seen ENT on that channel yet - it's on past my bedtime - but I wonder if it's broadcast in 16:9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks