Star Trek 6, uneven letterboxes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Peake, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I picked up Star Trek:The Motion Picture and ST:The Undiscovered Country last night.
    I noticed that on TUC, the letterbox at the top of the screen is much thinner than the one at the bottom. It is a very drastic difference, about a full inch on my 32" TV.
    Anyone else notice this? Is there a reason for this, or just an error in mastering the DVD?
    I havent noticed this problem on any other DVD's yet.
    Jeff Peake

2. DanL

DanL Stunt Coordinator

It might be one of those movies where the movie is pushed up in the frame to allow more room for subtitles.

3. Anton Ruzic

Anton Ruzic Stunt Coordinator

Apparently both the laserdisc and DVD versions of ST:TUC are incorrectly framed, as the film was shot in Super 35 and transfered without the supervision of cinematographer Hiro Narita.
    Anton

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Jeff,
    They just used the incorrectly framed, D2 composite laserdisc master for this DVD. It too was shoved up on the screen for the subtitles.
    The upcoming SE, I'm sure, will correct this as it will more than likely get a new HD transfer.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes this is so. I believe that the subtitles do not correctly fall into the lower black bar either, pure hell if you want subtitles and you are viewing on a 16x9 screen.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

6. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I would have thought that the uneven letterboxing was done to be 16x9 friendly, even though it was not anamorphic, but I've heard that on 16x9 monitors zoom mode, the subtitles are cut off.
    Of all the Star Trek movies, I think this is the one most in need of a Special Edition reissue. I have never understood what was up with the 2:1 AR.
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

7. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Heat on laserdisc is the same way, though I can't recall any subtitles in the film...
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

8. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

STAR TREK 6 seems to have been transfered using the full Super 35 negative exposed. The film was shown in theaters in anamorphic 2.35:1
    I have found that using my mattes and matting slightly at the top and more at the bottom to 2.35 gives me an appealing, natural looking composition.
    Hopefully when PARAMOUNT graces this film with an anamorphic transfer, they get the aspect ratio right at 2.35:1
    ------------------
    LuvLBX

9. Osato

Osato Producer

Has work begun on an SE for 6? Any idea when the disc will street?

10. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot

11. Osato

Osato Producer

It seems like a long wait. I thought the 007 sets were done very well and they were all out in about a year? Paramount and DVD seem to be working on another schedule though. Also, the have a lot more films to get out I suppose. It would be nice to have everything out sooner that one every six months. (7 months then for Star Trek 2?)