What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If four of them have been destroyed, you'd think they'd retire the name "Enterprise." Apparently it's bad luck to use that name.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Joel for confirming that. It does seem like more then three times!

Johnny, Kirk's original refit 1701 was destroyed in ST3 and replaced with 1701A at the end of Star Trek 4, Picard's 1701D is destroyed in Generations, Picard's 1701E crashes into Shinzon's ship in Nemesis wrecking the saucer, but the ship is intact more or less and wasn't outright written off, but repaired. So in this new Kelvin timeline, this is the first time the Enterprise is wrecked and replaced with the 1701A. This follows the pattern in the Prime timeline.

Of course there's the off screen destruction of 1701C from a TNG episode. 1701B from Generations appears to have survived the encounter with the Nexus.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
An often glorious looking action-adventure that does its characters right, which grounds it very well despite a bit more fireworks than Trek traditionalists prefer. The best compliment I can give it is that this is a film that would have fit in with the original cast films in the mid-80s if that era had the budget and the technology. 9/10

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw it again today in Dolby Cinema. Liked it even more.

I noticed a strange thing. When Kelvin Spock was looking at the pad of Prime Spock's death I believe it said:

Ambassador Spock
2230-2263

33 years old? Am I missing something?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw it again today in Dolby Cinema. Liked it even more.

I noticed a strange thing. When Kelvin Spock was looking at the pad of Prime Spock's death I believe it said:

Ambassador Spock
2230-2263

33 years old? Am I missing something?

Spock Prime may have lived most of his life after 2263, but that's still when he died. That also means Kelvin Spock is 33 in Beyond. Spock Prime was at least 120, maybe more.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
He's really not dead... As long as we remember "The Infinite Vulcan" is still running around in the prime universe.

theinfinitevulcan_125.JPG

Last edited:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I saw Star Trek Beyond, the third in the rebooted Trek series. The usual shenanigans, strange planets, weird aliens, Kirk, Spock, McCoy bickering and the Enterprise destroyed yet again!! It was nearly demolished in the last one for Christou's sake! This happens at the beginning so most of the film takes place on an unknown? planet.

Full of action and adventure, excitement and humor, everything you'd want from a Star Trek movie. The special effects are superb, visually impressive was the massive spaceport Yorktown. Idris Elba is the villain this time round, under all that alien make-up you can't really tell it's him until near the end of the film. I liked the alien girl played by Sofia Boutella, I hope we see her again in future installments. Boutella played the girl with the lethal legs in Kingsman.

William Shatner does make an appearance in the film - yay! But only in a photo featuring the original crew. The film is dedicated to Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin.

I had a great time watching Beyond (in 2D) and hope it makes enough money to keep this franchise going.

I give this 4 stars out of 5.

My favorite of the three? hmmm call me weird but I really liked the 2nd one Into Darkness. I thought Benedict Cumberbatch was a great villain, more so than Idris in this film.

star-trek-beyond-jpg.32848

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
See, that's the part I was kinda fuzzy on, too (trying to remember what was established in the movie) -- at one point, Edison mentions in the logs that there were only two other remaining survivors among his original crew left (implying that the rest had been killed off somehow), and we also see Commodore Paris closing out those few remaining crew-files at the very end of the movie.

On the other hand, they found an entire armada of alien swarm-fighters (far, far exceeding in number the crew-threshold of what a 22nd century NX-class starship would have possessed), and each fighter required at least one manual pilot, leading me to wonder if either that alien civilization was in stasis and reawakened by the Franklin crew, or if they were androids of some kind.

Looks like I'm gonna have to rewatch this movie again. :)
They are drones, not living beings. The planet had gear to prolong the life of the three surviving crew members (though not without the effect of transforming them to resemble the aliens they drained of their life force); along with gear to maintain the army of drones (wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't an automated system similar to the one Kirk finds when he thinks he's found Dr. Korby in TOS).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed it again in 3-D so glad I did as I missed some stuff on my first viewing. Also, I sat too close to the screen during that viewing and the action was hard to follow. I corrected that mistake by moving to the top of the theater and dead center which made for a more enjoyable viewing experience for me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
They are drones, not living beings.
So you're saying that the three crew were the only living beings and the rest were drones or robots? Even the foot soldiers? And the pilots that McCoy and Spock jettisoned after they beamed into one of the "bees?" I thought that whole army was a little confusing. It seemed it was ultimately a mix of drones and living beings (but more than the three surviving Franklin crew).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yup. All drones and bees except for Krall, Manis (?) and I believe the female traitor.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
So you're saying that the three crew were the only living beings and the rest were drones or robots? Even the foot soldiers? And the pilots that McCoy and Spock jettisoned after they beamed into one of the "bees?" I thought that whole army was a little confusing. It seemed it was ultimately a mix of drones and living beings (but more than the three surviving Franklin crew).
There were other living beings (like Jaylah and the three goons she dispatched) but they were scavengers, escapees who were not part of Krall's forces.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While paced well and cashing in on the interplay between the personality types of the main crew members of the Enterprise, the villain was the weak spot in the story for me in this 3rd installment of the new Star Trek cinematic franchise. It was simply a matter of too little, too late in terms of developing the villain and their motivations.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Finally saw this last night in IMAX 3-D. 3-D had a handful of neat scenes but for the most part, was unnecessary. I have to say that out of the three, this was my favorite and felt more like Star Trek than the previous two. The first was bit too contrived and the second was nonsensical so this was a pleasant surprise. I went into the theater accepting the changed characters (actually based on a post Josh had made that allowed me to open my mind a bit) and enjoyed the continued characterizations. The main characters all had good screen time and the interplay between them was well done. Kirk's angst in the film's beginning mirrored some of the angst Shatner's Kirk had in the show's first season. Also many lines were taken from various episodes (and movies). I would have liked more classic Trek passages regarding the music but that it is a nitpick. The villain was agreeably the weakest part but still effective for the story. I didn't really see any allegory to anything topical, maybe I need to see it again. I will be adding this to my collection upon release. All in all, a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks