Star Ceilings... Painted vs. Fiber optics

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by nightsky, Sep 30, 2010.

1. nightsky

nightsky Agent

Thanks for the comments and the questions... I will need to be a little quicker with my answers to you. I am already way over the time I had to answer these questions... but I don't want to leave any unanswered.

Lucky man!

Again... lucky man. To have his wife consider doing this for him... wow! The star ceiling would be a nice addition to that room. Remember, though, that when he is watching TV that the stars will be washed out and not as visible. So, if he wants to see stars while he is watching TV... then he will either need to turn on a Black Light, or go with Fiber Optics.

Can be very expensive and they aren't even as realistic... or romantic.

It might be easier for you to do... but not if you were going to have someone paint it for you. plus, to get everything to look right, it is better to have everything where it will be in the end. In other words, to get everything to match up... the wall paper being put up after it is painted is not the best option.

Paint... as far as glow paint? Glowinc has good paint, as does Ready Set Glow... and I can help you out with some of my paint too. The stencil that is very basic, yet one of the better ones on the market (I will say that I am close to hang a high-end stencil ready to market. Hopefully by the end of the year) is called the "Night Sky" stencil and it is made by Ursa Major. so, just Google Night Sky stencil and Ursa Major and you will find a lot of outlets that will sell it to you.

Also, if you will contact me, I can help you with some other pointers that might help you.

Black lights yes. Rope black lights, no. The rope light just does't do it. You need the tube ones for now... but I am looking into some other possible lights that might be just as good. IF you have room for a soffit that comes down from the ceiling at least 12 inches... then that would be nice. IF not, then just get a light that you can throw in the middle of the room for 10 minutes and that should charge the stars up... then put is somewhere out of the way where the light can still hit the paint and make it fluoresce.

2. nightsky

nightsky Agent

Thanks for the comments and the questions... I will need to be a little quicker with my answers to you. I am already way over the time I had to answer these questions... but I don't want to leave any unanswered.

Lucky man!

Again... lucky man. To have his wife consider doing this for him... wow! The star ceiling would be a nice addition to that room. Remember, though, that when he is watching TV that the stars will be washed out and not as visible. So, if he wants to see stars while he is watching TV... then he will either need to turn on a Black Light, or go with Fiber Optics.

Can be very expensive and they aren't even as realistic... or romantic.

It might be easier for you to do... but not if you were going to have someone paint it for you. plus, to get everything to look right, it is better to have everything where it will be in the end. In other words, to get everything to match up... the wall paper being put up after it is painted is not the best option.

Paint... as far as glow paint? Glowinc has good paint, as does Ready Set Glow... and I can help you out with some of my paint too. The stencil that is very basic, yet one of the better ones on the market (I will say that I am close to hang a high-end stencil ready to market. Hopefully by the end of the year) is called the "Night Sky" stencil and it is made by Ursa Major. so, just Google Night Sky stencil and Ursa Major and you will find a lot of outlets that will sell it to you.

Also, if you will contact me, I can help you with some other pointers that might help you.

Black lights yes. Rope black lights, no. The rope light just does't do it. You need the tube ones for now... but I am looking into some other possible lights that might be just as good. IF you have room for a soffit that comes down from the ceiling at least 12 inches... then that would be nice. IF not, then just get a light that you can throw in the middle of the room for 10 minutes and that should charge the stars up... then put is somewhere out of the way where the light can still hit the paint and make it fluoresce.

3. nightsky

nightsky Agent

Dan, sorry... I just saw your message.
    To answer you , it might be better to talk with you on the phone. A short answer here will not help you, or your client. You can either contact me on my website or
    text me at 801.599.9836
    Remind me that you are the artist from the home Theater Forum that is painting a ceiling for your client... and I will remember you . Then if I have time I can call and walk you through what you are needing, or we can text.
    Hope this helps...
    Jeff
    Night Sky Murals

4. nightsky

nightsky Agent

Hi Rose... I am located in Salt Lake City... but work everywhere, but here. Are you asking what I charge to paint the murals or to train someone to paint them?
    And, you can find paint online from a few places. I have mentioned a couple places already in a few other answers I've done tonight. You can also contact me from my website. If I don't answer right away... keep after me and I will eventually get back with you.
    Jeff
    Night Sky Murals

5. nightsky

nightsky Agent

For those who are either going to do a "painted" DIY star ceiling, or have one painted by someone else, and are wondering about lights to charge up the paint... I have found that certain LED lights actually will charge up the paint. In past research with an LED company, nothing would do much to charge up the paint. BUt, the LED's that came in a cheap Black Light flashlight... does a great job at charging the paint, and also works well with fluorescent paints (that only show up under a black light).
    I have seen black lights in heavy panels that are available, but it would be great if they came in strips of different sizes that could be connected together. If anyone has seen anything like that... that would be a good thing to share with others in this thread. I'm still not sure they are powerful enough to reach way out on a ceiling... but a 21 LED and a 53 LED flashlight charged part of a mural that I tested them on over 12 feet away. So... this is promising.
    Jeff
    Night Sky Murals

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Very cool, but I wouldn't want the ceiling lit like that while watching a movie.

7. alta4444

alta4444 Auditioning

From all the photos I have seen your work looks the best. Do you ever get up to Canada? Im in Calgary and would definately be interested in having you paint a night sky in a theatre room we are currently constructing. If not is there someone you can recommend up here? If you cant recommend anyone up north can you tell me the stencil company that you recommend using and I might give it a go myself? Thanks for all the info and expertise that you share with us. Steve.

8. NightSkyMurals

NightSkyMurals Auditioning

That's not a problem. The stars react like the real stars and usually disappear from the light of the movie. For those who do want to see stars, they usually need to turn on black lights so the stars will fluoresce. With the room totally dark, the stars glow for hours.

9. NightSkyMurals

NightSkyMurals Auditioning

Hi Steve. I do, in fact, get up to Canada. I was just up near Toronto a month ago... so not a problem. I've gotten an email recently from someone in Calgary. Was that you? I'll look it up tomorrow. If it wasn't you, please email me and we can discuss what you're looking for. You can also send me a message from www.NightSkyMurals.comI'll try to help you in any way I can.Jeff

10. nightsky

nightsky Agent

Hi again Alta4444... You asked a while back about me painting up there in Canada (which I have and do), referring someone, or telling you about stencils to use. I'm not sure if I have painted for you, or not, or what has happened since I am always traveling... but, I thought that I'd let you know that I have my new stencils ready finally (after 8 years). If you are still wanting to do a night sky mural on your ceiling, then get in touch with me and I will let you know about them. I still need to have my own tools made, but what I am including in the kits are about the same as I will be having made.

Email me at NightSkyMurals@gmail.com and tell me you saw me on this forum. I'm not really promoting them yet, but allowing people from this forum and another couple get the first ones while I am having the boxes and tools made.

Jeff