What's new

Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection (Amazon Exclusive) - November 4, 2014 (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
atcolomb said:
The MGM laserdisc in the pic posted by andySu is the other one i have. Very happy some still have their lasers.
I don't mind artifacts that are inherent with laserdisc depending on the transfer pressing some titles look good or worse? So do you have the AC-3 pressing? And if so is it wider than the other pressings.

Recall Apocalypse Now and how that film, for years re-issued over and over more times that we have had hot dinners and same bloody, aspect cropped ratio, until a few years ago when it was put right.

I mean who frames these films for optical disc format? How hard can it be to keep it framed universally so we don't have to keep getting milked? I'm not a cow god, damn it. :P moooo.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"No Spartacus this time?"Oh, you're right. I believe it was included in the earlier set in the US, but the European sets were missing Dr Strangelove and Spartacus.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
To put a positive spin on this... maybe WB is reissuing their original transfers so they can retire the old set that includes SPARTACUS... because Criterion is planning a deluxe SPARTACUS blu-ray package! :D

(And maybe pigs really do fly...)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Stanley Kubrick action figure with the detachable beard"Lol! That was actually funny. Now is it included? Please?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Until WB can include Douglas Trumbell's aborted documentary about the making of 2001, and a doc and commentary for BARRY LYNDON, I will not pay for these movies again.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Persianimmortal said:
I told myself I wouldn't buy this reissue, but I just can't go past the Stanley Kubrick action figure with the detachable beard - it's a genuine collector's item.
Does it come with stretchable legs/torso, so you can choose its height at will?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Attachments

• 6a00e5523026f58834015433160327970c.jpg
    6a00e5523026f58834015433160327970c.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 76

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Wow... interesting stuff ^^^

Was that common back then for the projectionist to get such specific instruction and music played during intermission and exit was off LP or tape?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
ROclockCK said:
Oh for the love of all that's cinematically holy WB...stop diluting the potential market for these films and remaster instead of recycling and reissuing! Just 2 of these titles, 2001 and Barry Lyndon, properly redone at 4k or better with archival-class workflow plus a new encode and 50GB footprint, could anchor a Kubrick über-box. If that means most of these titles would remain out of the market for a year or so, then so be it...you'll have a much improved product and stronger sales at the other end.

I swear this company has pools betting on how many times fans will re-buy the same legacy master.

Yeeeesh!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish they'd make a better DCP of "2001" for theatrical use. The current one looks flat and lifeless to me. Got to see a 70mm print a couple weeks ago and it was breathtaking. Wouldn't mind a new scan at all.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
andySu said:
I don't mind artifacts that are inherent with laserdisc depending on the transfer pressing some titles look good or worse? So do you have the AC-3 pressing? And if so is it wider than the other pressings.

Recall Apocalypse Now and how that film, for years re-issued over and over more times that we have had hot dinners and same bloody, aspect cropped ratio, until a few years ago when it was put right.

I mean who frames these films for optical disc format? How hard can it be to keep it framed universally so we don't have to keep getting milked? I'm not a cow god, damn it. :P moooo.
Have the same laser as shown in your picture and do not see AC-3 listed on the back cover.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I remember an announcement about a year (possibly more) ago that a new transfer was planned of 'Lolita'. Don't know what was seen as wrond in the original, but I guess if this is happening, it will be for this set.
I wish someone would do the Adrian Lyne version as well as although the Kubrick version is a gem, the Lyne version (wiith Jeremy Irons) was truer to the book.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Jari K said:
"Stanley Kubrick action figure with the detachable beard"Lol! That was actually funny. Now is it included? Please?
I would SO buy action figures of the great directors - Kubrick, Hitch, Ford, Wilder, Spielberg... How do we make this happen? ;)

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
As I don't have any of these, it might be a worthwhile package for me, but I'm sure the majority have bought these too many times.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Kevin EK said:
Somebody please let me know when disc 10 is available separately and I'll pick it up.
I already have all of Kubrick's movies on Blu, including the 2 Criterions and the 1 Kino.
I don't need to buy everything all over again just to pick up the new documentaries
Likewise leave me a message

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks