What's new

ST: Voyager Season 1 Seems Overpriced (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I agree with you regarding Voyager.

I also have a theory that might be interesting to test. I have a feeling that there is a large female fanbase for Voyager, larger then the male fans. It's just a theory, I have no definitive proof.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
It'll be Netflix for me for Voyager. If all the Voyager sets come out this year, and Best Buy runs a good deal for all 7 at the end of the year like they did for DS9, I *may* bite. But with talk of delayed or incompleteness, no way.

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Someone has got to take a stand about the over-pricing of the Star Trek Voyager sets.If nobody buys the first season then Paramount will have to lower the price. I own all the previous sets of the previous series but enough is enough! Are you telling me that you would buy this set (with only 16 episodes) for the same price that the 26 episodes cost with the other sets. I've seen previous comments that people are going to buy anyway. The highest price for this set should be no more that $69.99. I refuse to pay any more money for anymore Star Trek sets. I am asking all of you to take a stand, after all we are the public and can do something about it,

TomJC

Grip
I'm afraid I fall into the category of ALL the Trek sets being overpriced. I understand that Paramount wants to milk it for all its worth, but they'd seriously increase their sales if they lowered the MSRP on all these sets. As is, no matter how much I love NextGen and DS9, there's no way I'm paying anywhere near $100 per season for them. The same will be true when they release the original series in boxes. Voyager has never been one I had any interest in owning. I was never a very big fan of that one. Enterprise gradually lost my interest, so that one I wouldn't consider, either.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez

It may be true if they are fans of Janeway. However, I think there is a larger male fanbase because of 7 of 9. :)

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Oh, and yes, the box sets are way overpriced. I will not buy them until they lower the price. Which I think won't happen because I'm still waiting for the TNG box sets to go down.

Joshua_W

Second Unit

I don't think this has proven to be true.

Someone posted a sales chart for 2003, the top 50 TV on DVD product, and for all of 2003, the only "Trek" product that showed up was TNG Season 7 (which was released 12-31-02, pretty much making it a 2003 release).

The lower priced DVD sets of similar "genre/franchise" material, namely Buffy, Angel, 24, and Alias, sold rings around that lonely little TNG set and they all made more money as well. DS9 never made the list once, and there were Buffy sets, released the previous year, that made more money and shifted more units than the Trek sets.

I really believe that Paramount set the prices for the Trek sets too high and released them too close together. They pretty much cannibalized their sales, and I have a feelin that a lot of people, like myself, despite being moderate fans of the series, didn't bother picking it up.

There's a big difference between $45 and $100. At $45, sets like 24, Alias, or Buffy, almost become impulse purchases. It's like the price of two movies for a whole year of television.

Toss in the fact that Star Trek has been stripped to death in syndication, people have already seen many of the episodes dozens of times. Hell, every time I turn on SpikeTV they're showing "Best of Both Worlds."

And the Trek Franchise's star has seriously fallen in the past few years. The last two movies were flops, and Enterprise is teetering on the brink of cancellation -- all indications are that Paramount is looking for an excuse to scuttle the ship.

Add it all up.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
If I could buy TNG for $50 on sale I probably would have all the sets by now. As it is, I only have season 1 since the price prohibited me from continuing.:angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Although I'm not a die-hard Voyager fan myself, I must point out that it is one of the most voted-for series at TVShowsOnDVD.com I have few doubts about it's ability to sell. Even if it doesn't do TNG or DS9 numbers, it will be a money-maker for Paramount.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong) whenever our friend from Paramount, Martin Blythe, addresses the issues of their DVD pricing, the answer is always along these lines:

1) Paramount makes their pricing decisions without regard to what the other studios are doing. Therefore the price of Buffy is irrelevant.

2) Paramount has been happy with their sales figures & profit margins.

They must be satisfied with the pricing structure of the Star Trek sets if they are using the same structure for the third year in a row.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I USED to be a a huge Trek fan. Books, comics...

Loved TOS when I was a child in syndication. Went opening night for TMP, worked at a movie theater during TWOK, went into downtown DC for TSFS, Loved TVH, totally hated TFF, and thought TUD was a fitting send-off for the original crew. Decided not to buy the DVD's due to cost. Of course, TOS DVD plans were before the X-Files broke ground by offering season sets. I will re-think my position when the price of the TOS season sets is announced. Will get around to purchising the TOS movies, even TFF (that one might never get unwrapped).

Loved TNG when it first came out, even though I was sure it was going to flop. Enjoyed the ride as it got better and better. Then I thought they began to lose it during Season Six, and really thought Season Seven was a waste. Generations looked, IMHO, just like an episode just shown in the theaters. "First Contact" was OK, "Insurrection" and Nemesis just sucked, IMHO. Decided against the DVD's since I had been watching the series on Spike TV, and felt that the stories were not standing up to the test of time. Even at $40 a set, I would still not pick up the sets. The only thing that would cause me to re-think my decesion is if Paramount was withdrawing the series from broadcast for a period of 5 years or more. Will not bother with the movie DVD's...

Loved DS9 from day one. Saw a few episodes during the last days of striped syndication, and still felt the stories held up. I am the proud owner of all seven seasons on DVD.

Had high hopes for Voyager. Those hopes were dashed very quickly. Hung on for each season, but was more prone to taping it and watching it later. Really gave up on it when 7 of 9 showed up. Still have not seen all the episodes. Don't really care if I ever do...

Draged up my hopes again with Enterprise. Still following, but would not give it a second thought if they cancel it after this season. DVD's? Pass... Funny, now, that the talks of Enterprise taking over the helm of the movie franchise has vanished? They had the oppertunity to explore the founding of the society that fans hoped ours would evolve in to. They wasted that oppertunity.

As regarding the OP's question? Yes, the first season of Voyager is overpriced based upon the number of episodes.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I also will not be buying Voyager, although I did buy all of TOS, TNG and DS9. FWIW, I think this set -- containing an abbreviated season -- is very overpriced.

My Star Trek DVD collection became complete with DS9 Season 7 and The Undiscovered Country CE. Trek ended with DS9, IMO.

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
I am willing to give Voyager a second chance but only if I like what I read in the DVD reviews. If not, I too will be skipping this show altogether.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying them all, although not always immediately. A lower price at retail would be nice. I bought the last few season's of DS9 on eBay & may do the same with "Voyager".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious if anyone has experience with Best Buy website pricing verses in store pricing. I looked at the Best Buy Website and see they list a pre-order price for Star Trek Voyager S1 as $89.99 which includes the bonus disc.

What I'm curious about, since I don't normaly buy anything on-line is whether this price will be the same as in-store prices. If true, and this is not an on-line pre-order price only, it represents a lower price for Voyager then The Next Gen or DS9 sets when they were first released on the initial week release prices of $99.99 at Best Buy. Sounds like either they acknowledge this series may move slower, or it has less episodes, or both.

Thanks, Nelson

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I thought Voyager was okay, but not great. if it were fairly cheap, like most FOx shows I'd get it, but no way in hell will I pay nearly the asking price here.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Nelson, Best Buy will have it at the same price as the web. They always have lower prices on DVD's the first week they're out. Even if the tag on the product says differently, they'll take it off at the register. I usually try to get my DVD's from BB on opening week.

IF you think Voyager is overpriced, I went to BB and saw Season 4 of TNG and it's now $135! I got it opening week for $90.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Kyle-

Thanks for the feedback regarding the web pricing and in store pricing being the same at Best Buy. That's great that Voyager is $89.99 on release week.

Interesting you got TNG season 4 for $90 opening week. I bought all 14 seasons of TNG and DS9 at BB because of the bonus disc and on release day for $99.99.

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks