SSX 3 proclaimed as BEST snowboarder ever...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Peter Kim, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I'm sure it'll be great but I would take anything McIGN prints with a dumptruck of salt.

"I hear they pay their reviewers in McGriddles." - Gabe

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Wasn't aware that people looked at IGN's reviews with great disdain. Since I'm not aware of any other major gaming review sites, care to fill me in?

4. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Many thanks for the comprehensive info, Damien. I'll keep these in mind since I'm very picky about what to buy to spend what little money and time I have.

A peek at videogames.com reveals that it is also known as gamespot.com, a site which I also scan.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Don't sweat it too much Pete, I usually go with IGN before buying a game.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

This is the first time that EA's "no xbox live" is going to affect me. The SSX series is one of my favorites, and I don't know which to choose: the superior Xbox graphics, or the PS2 online options. If the PS2 online was as good as XBL, I'd choose that option, but PS2 online functionality always seems like a kludge - it works, but it's not exactly elegant.

*sigh*

BTW: Best Buy is offering $10 off if you buy the soundtrack and the game this week. It might be PS2 only, though.

-Dave

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Another BTW: is the whole uber trick thing still in the game? I hated the way that as soon as you maxxed your trick meter, you couldn't try do some insane trick - it always became a lame uber trick.

-Dave

10. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

Yes SSX 3 on Gamecube has also received high marks. A good source for reviews is GameRankings.com, which collects and combines media reviews from various websites and magazines to produce an overall score for each game.

11. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

12. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Peter - I use Gamerankings.com for reviews since it provides composite scores from multiple sites and mags. I also browse gaming forums (this one and Penny Arcade forums) for thoughts on games from real people.

13. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Thanks for all of the advice...looks like SSX 3 is going to be a damn good time, regardless of source.

I loved SSX & SSX Tricky - I actually became pretty good at both. One thing's for sure...I won't have much free time after next week (combined with the release of some big films, both theatrically & on dvd).

Have fun!

14. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Did anyone else here try the SSX3 demo on Playstation magazine from about a month back? It was HORRIBLE. You could tell it was an earlier build, but the magazine (which, granted, I don't really care for) did not emphasize the fact it was a "pre alpha". In fact I didn't hear anyone criticize this demo anywhere.

In the demo, the camera is shoddy (it nearly switches to top-view during a crash, and it's hard to see the track ahead), the rider physics feel heavy and cumbersome, the framerate sketchy, various trees and other objects come pixellated and up-close in the camera, obscuring your field of view, plus some of the "paths" in this short demo version have invisible walls that knock you down and send you tumbling down a path. In this form it doesn't hold a candle to even the first SSX.

It surprised me (pleasantly) to hear that the final build has improved enough that it feels "polished" and the gameplay "spot on". It had a long way to go in that October issue demo. I'm excited if the review accurately sums up the final experience. Does anyone know how far back this demo came from (in the development cycle)?

~s

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

So it seems PS2 is the system to get this game for.

- Much better controls
    - Online play! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    - Graphics are "almost equally" as good as Xbox and GC (IGN)

Sounds good to me, I don't have a progressive display anyway. I hope there's no option for DTS though, especially if it's anything like SSX Tricky or GTA3:VC. [​IMG]

16. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

Has it been confirmed that the PS2 version won't have a 480p mode?

17. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

18. RossH

RossH Stunt Coordinator

Ross Hudgins
    I played the OPM demo...I wasn't impressed, but I knew it had to be a very early version. Looking forward to the improved frame rate and overall polish (graphics and sound were lacking a lot in the demo).

Watching the videos on the game's web site gives a much better impression. I'll definitely pick this up! In fact, I thought it was coming out last week...woops. [​IMG]

Plus, Finger Eleven on the soundtrack! [​IMG]

19. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I don't think that the controls are as big of an issue as many people make them out to be. I never had a problem switching from the PS2 controller to the Xbox controller for Tricky, so I doubt that would change for SSX3.

Even the IGN review makes no distinction between the PS2 and Xbox versions. They just note that the Cube controller feels awkward.

-Dave

20. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The IGN review also mentions that the graphics on PS2 come really close to matching the graphics on 'Cube and 'Box, but aren't quite up to snuff. However, since I can't imagine SSX without the DualShock, I'll be getting the PS2 version.

The 10/03 PSM Demo of SSX3 was one of the most disappointing things I've ever played, glitchy, unwieldly and downright awful. The snowflakes are just little square 'pong' pixels and the control feels like an elephant strapped to a snowboard. The final game should feature a better camera (one that doesn't hover directly on top of the character) and controls that are responsive. The demo had neither.

~j