What's new

Squeezing the most from your Home Theater (part II) VIDEO (1 Viewer)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Andy,

Yes, Hollywood Video does rent VE. I was scanning our local store and saw it under special interest I think.

Bob

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey_Jones said...
"It would be more useful to this forum if you actually took the time to write a concise and useful account of your own experiences with A/V..."
Okay - I've compared expensive hand-made Canare/Belden component cables vs. "freebie" red/yellow/white cables on a 53" HD-ready TV and saw ZERO differences (on test patterns, movies clips, etc.). I've also compared expensive S-video and composite cables vs. "freebie" cables and didn't see a difference. That's as concise as I can make it :)
The Elistist Bastard and others claim the differences are "astounding", while I and others see ZERO differences. Who's right? Who knows, but I think "newbies" should get both sides of the story in threads where people claim that cables make a difference :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Great post Mike. This should be required reading.
I'd like to suggest a few additions if you dont mind (since I think this post should become a frequent reference and these are questions I often answer):
"2) Make some blanking bars" - Mention that these are also called "Masks" to help people find the other posts.
"4) Use a Calibration Disk" - Go ahead and mention Avia and Video Essentials. (You seem to be careful to avoid mentioning specific products unless people ask. I commend your ethics but this is usually the first question people have after reading this section so save time by mentioning them by name.)
You should put something in the "PROJECTION TV TIPS" about video connections. Something simple like:
"Use the best connection possible. On a ordinary 50" TV an SVideo connection will give you a 20% better picture over Composite (single RCA cable) and Component (bundle of 3 RCA cables) will give you a 25% better picture over Composite. Bigger displays will show MORE improvement, smaller displays less."
(These are almost direct quotes from Home Theater magazine when they did a comparison of the different connection types. I've been posting this for years with no complaints so I think it is universally accepted.)
I also think most of your sections should have a "more" link to other threads for people who want more details.
Brian - Good to know I'm not the only one who gets laughed at by his family. I get "looks" when I describe how I compared VHS and DVD years ago, or the time I used laser-pointers, measuring tapes, etc., to align my speakers. They'll laugh when I make my masks as well, but then I'll gently remind them that they dont have to watch my system.... :)

David J Wang

Agent
Don’t run your video signals through your processor for switching. Go directly to the display whenever possible. Use macros on your remote to automatically change the TV inputs or do it manually. You will almost certainly obtain a superior image with a direct connection from the source to the display.
Question to Mike or anyone for that matter about this quote. I have a Sony Wega KV27FS12 that has only one component input so I use my Denon 2802 for component video switching between my DVD player and game system (Xbox and Gamecube). Is this true that there is a superior image with a direct connection from source to my TV? If so, is the difference noticeable? I don't want to switch component cables all the time from DVD and game system to TV, so if I used a passive component video switch like the ones Radio Shack sell would that maintain the image quality from source (DVD, GameCube, Xbox) to display with the added convenience of being able to switch sources? Or should i stick with my Denon 2802 for component video switching? Also, does the Denon 2802 do passive switching for video signals?

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
David...go direct once and see for yourself. I think you will find an improvement going direct to your display. I would think the Denon would do as well or better than a Radio Shack outboard unit, no need to get one of those in my opinion.

Jim, You certainly can save some money buy not seeing the differences, I wish I couldnt. Thanks for your comments.

Mike

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
A few things to keep in mind:
1. Mike Knapp will never recommend something without trying it - or witnessing it - himself, to his satisfaction.
2. He will also always state: Your mileage may vary.
With that in mind, give the tweaks a shot. And go into them with eyes wide open. Some have tried - and it made no difference. Others have - and it made a big difference to them.
Either one is great! :D
For example, the tweak about using good cables. It made a difference for me, on my equipment, so I use it.
For a counter-example, I did not find much if any difference between component and S-Video on my TV, nor when switched S-Video vs component. Hence, I use the receiver to switch.
Give them a shot - realizing full well that YMMV.
Mike

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Andy, blanking bars are aka Mattes, or Masks. Most commonly used term for them are Mattes.

David J Wang

Agent
To Mike Knapp or anyone for that matter.
Regarding the Denon switch vs Radio Shack switch vs directly to display for component video... I read in another thread
Component Video Switcher Thread
specifically about component video switching, that one of the HTF members (Robert Crawford who is one of the Administrators) tried a RS switch 4-in-1 AV/Selector that really is a composite (RCA) video switch that he plugged component cables into. He observed that there is no difference in picture quality using the Radio Shack AV/Selector vs direct to display on his Sony 53XBR-300 for 480p DVD signals and for 1080i signals from his Sony HD-100 Sat receiver. I would assume that using a passive RCA switch like the Radio Shack one wouldn't degrade the image quality at all since it's just passing the signal along which brings me to my next question. Does anyone know if the Deno 2802 uses passive switching for component video? If so then I wouldn't need to get the Radio Shack AV/Selector if i want to avoid image quality degradation. Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Bruce wrote:
I think one benefit of mattes is the sharpness of the line at the top and bottom of the picture. If you look closely the line is soft and rough, when you use mattes that line is sharp and well defined. I believe this increases the perception of a sharper picture. Does anyone else agree?
Bruce, I AGREE!!!!!!!!!
I have a 32" 4:3 direct view. I just made mattes from black poster board, I cut two strips, 1 set for 1.66 to 1.85 and 1 set that covers 2.35 to 2.40. I use velcro to attach them. This is by FAR the BEST Video tweak I've ever done!!! While watching in dim light or in the dark, I dare anyone to guess whether or not I have a 16:9 TV!!!
The black bars now look greyish blue compared to the sharp, black edge of the mattes, I LOVE THEM, well worth the little effort it takes to put them on!

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Great post Mike...thank you for the very useful information. I have to disagree with you though on viewing 4:3 material on a 16:9 set in it's OAR. I have a 64" widescreen, and I couldn't imagine EVER watching a 4:3 broadcast in that format with the gray bars on the sides. I find it barely even watchable that way, which is why I'm so glad my set has multiple "stretch" settings that work very well. Just my opinion...

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Scott,
I have those modes too....makes the weather gal look like a football player. :)
In fact I think it is called Linebacker mode on my set :)
I sometimes stretch the Disney channel for the kids, but I dont watch it, I leave the room. I just cant handle the distortion.
No problem though, most people do indeed use those modes and they probably save many tubes by doing so. I am the odd guy on this I know.
Mike

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
Sean, pleasssse could you tell me in more detail how you made these strips?? I also have a 32" 4:3 and from what you have said it makes me really, REALLY want to get this right! Like where you put the velcro stickers at, on the sides of the TV, and do you cover JUST the "black bars" on the screen or am I supposed to cover the WHOLE tv horizontally, you know like wrap around the tv? I'm still new to the HT game, so bear with me...Thanks, and I am excited!

Andy STocker

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I second pretty much everything Mike said, and wanted to comment specifically on two things:

1) Mattes rule. The weird thing (to me) about mattes is that after watching letterbox, it seemed so obvious to me that they would be great (once the idea was placed in my mind by a thread here; I didn't just think of them myself.) I'm somewhat baffled why anyone would be skeptical about them, but I know a lot of people are. In any case, for what they cost, no reason not to try them. An absolute must for projection TV owners.

2) Definitely clean up the geometry and convergence as much as possible. It is amazing to me how bad most TV's are from the factory. Good geometry has a major impact on overall image quality. In my case (Tosh 50HX70) I was able to do pretty much everything in the 56-point service convergence, which is a relatively painless (if tedious) process. Do it!

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I'm in the midst of upgrading my cables. I think we should start a cable survey thread and have everyone say what they use.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Howard,
The "cable survey" has been done many, many times, and has been beaten to death :)
Basically, there are two camps:
1) There are those that believe there is a difference between cables, and buy the best they can.
2) There are those that believe there is little, if no difference in cables, and laugh at people who spend $$$ on cables.
Proving if there are differences between cables is objective - But proving if cables make a picture better is very subjective.
Bottom line:
Only YOU can tell if there's a difference between cables or not. YMMV.
-Ryan Dinan

J

John Morris

I've been holding back from responding in this post since in another cable related post, it was indelicately suggested that our posted observations were a result of "smoking something that can't be bought at a store(paraphrased)".

Regardless, for the most part, I too am a cable skeptic. So, IMO, based only on what I've actually heard and seen so far, is the gospel according to merc.

- For most audio applications, good quality copper interconnects sound the same. This opinion may change soon, as I will be comparing Outlaw's new interconnects versus my current AR ones. Silver, solid silver, audio interconnects sound different. Whether you like the different sound of the all silver interconnects, or not, depends on your equipment and your audio preferences.

- For coax digital connections, all good 75ohm coax cables sound the same. I am currently using a 40 foot long length of RG6QS cable with "F" to RCA adapters and it sounds identical to using a 1M Canare LV-61s. I've never tried using Silver (solid or plated)digital interconnects, so I can't comment on those.

- For Composite and S-video connections, I've not seen any easily noticable differences between Monster, AR or Mogami connections. I currently use Canare LV-61s for composite and AR for short S-video. My 40 foot run from preamp/processor to HDTV is Mogami.

- For Component video connections, I have used a trio of Canare LV-61s, Radio Shack, Monster Cable(midrange), Audioquest Cinemaquest KGB 1.0, and BetterCables Silver Serpents. Suprisingly, to me, both the Cinemaquest and the Bettercables produced noticably better images. Colors were more saturated and images more resolute. Using the trio of Canare LV-61s, following re-calibration with Avia, I found that I could almost match the performance of those cables, but had to crank up the settings for my HDTV to do so. I decided that the BC cables were clearly worth the added cost to me on my gear. Others, have not reported this type of difference.

Since each of us have different gear, our observations may, and should, be different with regard to what we actually see and hear, or don't see and hear. You can only decide if one cable, or component, is right for you by testing it in your actual system and room.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Sean, pleasssse could you tell me in more detail how you made these strips??
Andy,
I went to my local arts and crafts store and got a sheet of black MATTE board, I think it comes as a 32"x24" sheet, make sure you ask for poster board and NOT construction or poster paper.
I cut 2 strips, 30"x4.5" and use those for 2.35(which would also work for 1.85), the other strips are specifically for 1.85, 30"x2.5". I used a Heavy Duty box cutter and a T-square,(any straight edge will work) and cut them to length. Maybe not the most professional, but extremely effective and cost $3.99(actually mine was free 'cause the gal there had a remnant that was big enough, and she just gave it to me).
I attach them with velcro, I put the velcro(vertical strips) right on the front of the TV(on the cabinet,not the glass) , and just attach the mattes right to the front, they are completely adjustable this way in case 1 movie is slightly different than another. And you can hardly see the velcro strips on the TV, in fact you cannot see them at all with low lighting, and I really can't see them with regular lighting either. Hopefully you have a black TV.
This works perfect in my HT room, because I can black it out, however I watched a movie last night with my lamp on (25 watt bulb) and still could not see the mattes.
The only pain is starting the movie, if the menu is in Full frame, I just go to a bright scene in the movie and put the mattes on perfectly, then go back and start the movie, and I swear it looks like a widescreen TV, even better, no black lines at all!! The image is unbelievable.
A very cheap tweak, and you will be stunned at the difference it will make, like I said your black bars will look grey and bright, and you will not want to watch a Widescreen movie again without them.
If you or anyone else has any questions, PM me, or post here. Very easy to do and I think you can make them in under an hour.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
No problem Andy, post and let us know how you like them.
And welcome to the HTF!
**EDIT** Andy, It is called matte board, please note this and do not get poster board or construction paper!
In my last post I said poster board, but I meant MATTE board. I fixed it.
Just tell them you need the matte board they use for pictures.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
What I mean by "cable survey" is not to ask whether you think better cables help. That definately has been beaten to death.

What I mean by "Cable survey" is to ask what people are using. The answer will simply be "I use so and so" and if they like they can say "I have used this and that and I find this to be the best" No arguments. Just posts about what people use. Is there a thread like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks