What's new

Squeeze help primarily, comments on Samsung TXN3245FP EDTV appreciated as well (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

Backstory if you are interested in why the cheap upgrade
I have some money coming in (it's tax time coming up + I got good grades and have some tuition reimbursement money coming). I have decided to pay off a big fat credit card or two, pick up a few long-desired items I could never seem to find money for (lift top coffee table or SVS sub), and do a holding-action TV upgrade for a couple of years until I can get my drool-worthy Panny plasma. So I'm not looking at huge budget here.

I have a 27" Zenith NTSC TV w/ S-video that has some minor video problems that it developed over time (a shimmery sort of effect, unnoticeable for movies, but annoying for videogames with reading (RPG & Strategy). 4:3 is perfect at this distance, 16:9 (anime) and 1.85:1 stuff is quite decent, but 2.35 movies are too small. Especially LOTR. It's all about Fellowship for me :)

I've been TV researching (although mostly on plasmas) for a year or two now. I'm familiar with 480p - it's all I desire (I don't watch TV at all any more unless it's coming off of a DVD, just widescreen movies, anime DVDs, and videogames). So I know what I'm getting into with a 480p only TV. FP & Plasma will come someday, just not real soon.

NOW TO THE POINT
I think I'm going to give the Samsung 32" Enhanced-def TXN3245FP a try for $699 (I'm aware of possible blooming issues with it). I was also considering the TXN3271HF 32" HD-ready for $899ish. Although, at that pricepoint I might just go with a Panny for $999...anyway, thoughts right now are on the ED set. Depends, I guess, on what kind of deals I can get.

I did a lot of reading, but I have a couple of questions:

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:
1) I watch a lot of 4:3 DVDs (anime) along with widescreen movies. To use the anamorphic squeeze on the TV, I need to have the DVD player set to 16:9, right? That means I'll have to switch it back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9, and probably the squeeze mode back and forth, on the TV? I'm going to have to do some macro-ing, right?

LESS important, just looking for feedback:

2) Any comments on the TXN3245FP? I know it historically had an iffy track record of having issues out of the box, but is it better since the recent changes? (I hear that the 1080i hack is gone :frowning: from the newest versions and that some of the issues have been cleaned up as well)

And least important...
3) And has anyone seen videogames on a Samsung CRT? (new and old-school NES, SNES, PS1, etc)?

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator
Well i just got the 32inch EDTV, and out of the box after lowering the contrast and all that it looks really good, good geomoetry and no discoloring anywhere. The blooming is very minimal and only noticable if i stare at the station ID or ticker (which i don't normally do). If you have your player set to 16x9, and the movie is 4:3, it just sends the normal full screen image to your TV so you don't have to mess w/ the screen size at all. For a 16x9 movie you just push the button called P.size to change it to the widescreen mode, not enough steps to require a macro i don't think. My model is the older one, before the changes made to the November and recent sets, i don't see any reason to bother lugging this thing back to the store to get a new made one as this one works great as is. The way my TV was set, the 1080i switch was hidden, but still there (overscan), i've heard that's how it is w/ the newer ones, not eliminated all together. My PS2 looks great on the TV, although it seems its a bit too dark (lowered contrast) but i'm sure i'll get used to that. Hope that helps, and don't forget to ask the CC rep to sell it to you for $650 which is was last week (unless you want to take advantage of their free shipping).

Oh and i also upgraded from a 27inch, the Samsung flatscreen, and the 5 inches seem like such a big upgrade, especially since i sit about 5 feet from the screen.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Ok, thanks for the comments. As soon as I get my tuition reimbursement check in hand, out the door I go to try one out (this is my reward :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks