What's new

SpongeBob SquarePants - Season 1 (I'm ticked off at Paramount) (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I think that the DVDs ended up being part of the marketing push that helped make the show so popular!
Spongebob was huge way before the DVDs saw the light of day.

There are alot of ST fans here so I better put on my flame resistant suit.

Paramount most likely did not have time to put together season sets, they were too busy working on cash cow sets of ST. Put yourself in Paramount's shoes, which would you rather do? Invest time to get ~$765 a year from trekkies (of which there are many of, and 99.9% willing to shell out $80+ per set, every other month or so) or put in the time to get ~$30 from a kids show? They had a cash cow and they ran with it, now they are going back and fixing things, and putting out some good releases.

Chris

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Chris, Trek-head that I am, I won't even disagree with you. :D

There is probably an element of truth to what you say. That's just plain business sense on their part!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Guys, Paramount is the distributor of this title. They distribute it, they don't decide what gets released as far as I know. I spoke to Martin last July about some MTV stuff and he said "we have no control over that, we just distribute it" so I would assume the same is true with the Nick stuff.

So, with that said, how many Nickelodeon season sets are there? 1 - SpongeBob Squarepants.

Each company learns lessons at their own pace. Look at Columbia TriStar; they insist on releasing sets with almost no extras while Fox releases loaded sets. Nickelodeon releases "kids" cartoons and they probably thought that their audience wouldn't be interested in season sets. It's one thing to have strong sales of cheap "best of" discs, it's another to try and translate those sales to season sets. Are SpongeBob fans price-sensitive? Are the people buying the "best of" discs buying them to have SpongeBob for little Timmy to watch, or do they want all the episodes for little Timmy to watch? I don't have the answers to those questions.

If you need to point fingers, point them at the company producing the sets, not the distributor.

Gord

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's one thing to have strong sales of cheap "best of" discs, it's another to try and translate those sales to season sets.
Yes, so where did their market research all of a sudden come from to warrant a Season release??? It's obviously the fact that they made lots of cash from these "Best of's" and now they can release a Season set and not worry as much about it bombing and ruining them.

I understand their cautiousness, just as long as they understand how their cautioness bugs the crap out of me. Again, it would be WONDERFUL if there was some sort of "Bone" they'd throw my way to say:
"Sorry we made you think that we were only releasing these as small collections rather than giving you the Season sets to begin with - Since you've been a loyal customer in buying all the DVD's so far, here's a price drop on the Season set."

That's all I'd need to make me a happy camper.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Either way, I just picked up Season One of this show, and it certainly looks nice. Good picture, good audio, and although I haven't gone through the features yet, they look good. I'm quite happy Paramount put this out, and I hope it results in Season Two, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks