Splitting Digital Coax Audio, please help.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jimintheb0x, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x Auditioning

I have scoured the internet, for what I thought would be an easy fix. I give up, and I'm finally willing to sacrifice the instant gratification of cooking something up tonight in exchange for a clear, precise answer on what it is that I actually need. My 50" LCD TV only has but one awkward external audio output-- digital coax. I want to hook up a pair of wireless headphones (1/8" phono) and also connect my surround sound system that has an optical audio in. I am already aware that I will need a digital coax to optical adapter, a digital coax to Analog RCA adapter, and a RCA to 1/8" adapter, but how can I effectively split the digital coax? I can't seem to find a splitter specifically for digital coax on the web, and I know that digital coax shouldn't be split using any kind of passive RCA splitter. So, if anyone knows where I can find one, or has a safe, workable solution, please let me know.

2. Mr645

Mr645 Stunt Coordinator

Jon
    Is there a headphone jack on the receiver?

3. jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x Auditioning

No, it doesn't. It's one of those DVD player/surround sound box systems.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-27027-Toslink-Splitter/dp/B0002344GG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361799636&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink+splitter http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Digital-Coaxial-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B003L1AGVS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361799704&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+coax+splitter I guess neither of those exist.

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    And, by the way... digital coax=composite video=shielded subwoofer. Those three cables are exactly the same thing. http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Video-Splitter-Adapter-Female/dp/B003L1AI8O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361800055&sr=1-1&keywords=composite+video+splitter http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-CYA-1M2F-P-Ultra-2-Female-Subwoofer/dp/B005DL2OVE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361800113&sr=1-1&keywords=subwoofer+splitter

6. jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x Auditioning

...really? Sarcasm? Not cool, man.
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Just be glad you got the sarcasm without snark... Ha. Since you can buy the dig coax splitter as a male to two female for under $2, buy that. Two composite video cables of "about .5 meter" should be around $1 a piece(cause composite tend to cost less than "digital coax" or "shielded subwoofer"). Then your dig coax>toslink adapter/converter should be $5-$10(depends how "cheap" you want to get). You "might" be able to find a headphone amp with a digital connection. Mini-toslink to headphones was popular with gamers 15 years ago and those headphone amps are still made...

8. jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x Auditioning

Haha, ok. Thanks for the suggestion. I actually already have the adapter-converters for digi coax to toslink and digi coax to RCA, and then of course RCA to 1/8" (the wireless headphones powered). That adapter you showed me was the last piece of the puzzle ;) thanks.