What's new

Split HDMI into receiver and TV? (1 Viewer)

darrenkperth

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
I have a bit of a dilemma, my receiver (Yamaha RXV 3900) doesn't have ARC or can pass through 3D video and I'm using a PS3 for Bluray. When I'm watching regular BD's, I plug the PS3 > receiver > Screen (LG 60LM9600), however when I want to watch a 3d BD, I have to switch to a dedicated HDMI lead that goes directly from PS3 to the TV and then optical cable from TV to the receiver for audio.
Heres the problem, I tried to watch Avatar and that doesn't have a Dolby 5.1 english track, only Dolby Master HD – which my TV cannot pass through. So all I get is a stereo PCM mix. Obviously now I'm torn between 3D and surround (surround wins by the way). Questions is, can I split the HDMI and go PS3 > splitter and a) one hdmi with full audio going to the receiver and b) a second HDMI going directly to the TV for 3d?
Thanks in advance...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nope.

Signal split to two sources is "dumbed down" to least denominator...

No 3d because of the AVR...
No 5.1 because of the TV.

You could ;always buy one of the twin HDMI out BD players on the market. Panasonic made a couple. Other than Oppo and Marantz, there are a few others.

darrenkperth

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
Thats what I feared.. thanks for that..

Now the question is, new BD player or new AVR - either way, the minister for finance and recreation (my wife) will not be pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks