What's new

Splinter Cell Help (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Dave I'm playing it on the PC so its save early and save often. I was having problems with my video card so my thermal vision didn't even work but I was able to get through the mine field just fine (stay off the ground, its possible).

Also on the PC you use the mouse wheel to control walk/trot/run speed, and its extremely easy to control and spin the character around and aim with the mouse. I refuse to play games like this on consoles. Hopefully you can get past it and keep playing! I agree with you about difficult games. There is a fine line between a game being challenging and a game being fun. A lot of times they ruin the fun aspect by making it too frustrating.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
MikeAletto: I was having that problem too.. i simply reinstalled the drivers (even the same version) and it worked! Try that out...

Also, im in the chinese embassy level, and its friggin hard.... WHO GAVE THE GUARDS FLASHLIGHTS DAMMIT?!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
WHO GAVE THE
GUARDS FLASHLIGHTS DAMMIT?!
HAHAHAHAHHAHAAAHHHHAA, I was thinking the same thing the first time I saw them.. shouldn't spoil it for people though. What sucked big time in the sewers is that I am horrible at jumping and stuff, I killed some of the guards in the sewers by jumping up into the laders leading to the roads and then knocking out guards that came below but it was hell trying to jump onto the ladders. Kind of like a one legged gymnast on a balance beam.

Jay

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Actually I found the embassy level hard until I got into the sewers then it was easy. Use your distraction cameras when on the street...and gas them.

Nick yeah I updated my drivers when I got to the meat locker...couldn't see anything at all and started searching the web because there had to be a solution.

I wish you could stun guards if you throw a bottle at them and it shatters on them. I've also had a lot of trouble grabbing people from behind, its almost like you have to be perfectly lined up with them to get it, also once they've seen you you just can't keep running in circles around them and eventually grab them...you should be able to do some kind of disarming move or something.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Argh. Ok so I tried a few more times to get past the end of the abatoir, failing each time. So I decided, I guess it wasn't that big of a deal to restart the mission. Big mistake that was. Now i can't even get passed the damn minefield. I made it through once but took so much damage that it wouldn't have been worthwhile. I'm now wondering just how the hell I got through it in the first place. My patience for this game is wearing thinner and thinner by the minute. I think my only motivation for keeping is that my older brother will kill me if I don't let him play through the downloadable level. I really want to like this game, but it's too damn difficult for me. Anyhow, short of a miracle I'm not sure I'll ever be able to finish this game.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im actually past the sewers, now im trying to get onto the truck... its frustrating as hell... I had a hard time getting past those three guards in the sewers, but i read the FAQ, and i figured out to gas them (i didnt know gas would knock them out... i didnt read the manuals or anything lol)

On the street, what i did was shoot my STICKY CAMERAS at their heads when they got close, knocking them out :D I lost a camera thouhg :p)

Instead of sneaking up to them and grabbing them, soemtimes ill just run up and punch them hoping they'll be knocked out in one punch... It doesnt seem to be working for this level thogh :angry:

JayH: Spoil what?! You mean thers a way to disable them or something?! :D

*sigh* ohwell, i dont think im gona be playing this for awhile or else i'll end up being so frustrated i wont touch it again

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
NickSo: I meant spoil the surprise of the flashlights.. I got the game not long after it came out so I had no idea that halfway through the game, you'll encounter guards with flashlights... so you get to the sewers and then you think, cool, it's already dark, this should be a piece of cake. Whammo, here comes the flashlight patrol!!!! D'oh...

David: Take a break from the game, take a real nice break. I had trouble the first time in the Abattoir and I got to a point where I was pissed, like you. What I did was stop playing for a bit, take deep breaths, yada yada... etc. etc. and then pick up another day. Really, it does help. My plan does work though, once I knew the pattern, I did the abattoir without taking one shot, but it took quite a while to figure out the pattern. How good are you at sniping, you should be able to snipe the first two guards you see (see my spoilers) if not then eventually they'll make their way towards the center aisle and I think at that point, without grenades or anything, it is super tough. But if you can take out the two guards in the beginning (sniper mode) you do have time to deal with one guard at a time until Grinko shows up. I think I ran into your problem too once, killed by a guard that for some reason went into the soldier's room but didn't kill them for some reason.

Jay

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Dave, How are you saving? Make sure you use each of the three slots for different saves so you do not have to go back as far and can still go back 2 or three checkpoints. Also, make sure you pick up some wall mines on the way. They are very helpfull for the end of the level as mentioned above.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Lee,
I use each of the save slots so I can go back a checkpoint or two if needed(as you advise). The problem is, at the checkpoint I had saved, I was still to the point where I must have passed the wall mines, frag grenades, and other goodies. I was at the point where you're in that tunnel(probably 2 checkpoints before all hell breaks loose in the end). I went back and searched but I couldn't find anything that would help me out. I think Jay's advice is probably the best for me. I'll try it a few more times using his method, and if I can't get it, I'm just gonna move onto another game for a few days. Hopefully then I won't get as infuriated by a video game. What really gets me is that I'm an extremely calm person and it takes alot to get my angry. Yet yesterday, splitner cell had my hitting my couch and hitting my coffee table(well in reality it's really just a huge piece of wood attached to two egg crates) with a 16oz hammer. I figure it's better to hit the table with a hammer than my fist ;)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The xbox version has limited save slots? Ughh...why do games do that, its so stupid!

Nick:
You don't have to actually get IN the truck, just use it to get inside the gate. Its actually kinda hard and annoying after that but there is not much left of the level. I actually just made a run for the extraction point right at the end, almost died.

I don't like how you can't shoot out all the lights. Some of the overhead street lights you can't knock out as well as some lights inside. If I've got a high power rifle its going to go right through the plastic covering on those lights.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Mike,
Yeah the Xbox version only allows you 3 save slots and you have to save at certain checkpoints(not sure if you can save anytime on the PC version). Very lame though especially when the xbox has an 8gb hard drive.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Yeah you can save where ever and whenever in the pc version. Maybe thats why I'm having so much fun...I can concentrate on enjoying the game instead of playing "find the checkpoint".

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
YES YES YES!!!I did it! I beat the damn abatoir! I ended up using a hybird of my own technique and what others suggested. I still had about 1/3 health when Grinko game and I missed my first shot, but i knew he was around a corner. I still has like 40 bullets so I crouched, went into full auto mode, and just unloaded on him. Quite the relief I must say.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
The checkpoints in SC-Xbox aren't bad; they're well spaced/placed, I think.

Now Buffy the Vampire Slayer...THOSE are some damn poor checkpoint placements.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Speaking of Splinter Cell, they finally released shots of the cube version as well as details on the cube/gba connectivity. The cube version looks good(not as good as the xbox version but better than the ps2 version) and the connectivity features sound interesting. Should be good for those without a ps2 or xbox.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, ive been having problems sneaking in past the guard.. maybe i should just make a run for it eh? :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Nick:
What I did to get in the gate is go around the guard house staying along the outer wall in the dark. The guard is busy talking to the truck driver. But once you get in there are dogs, but I distracted the dog and the guy followed it then I snuck around it. After that its pretty easy.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ahhh, i beat it! I was able to sneak in the shadows unnoticed :)

but.... Stupid! I couldnt find the damned pole to climb over the wall.. they really shoudl ahve some sort of GPS map thing...

Am i on the last mission now?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I believe you are on the Chinesy Embassy II NickSo, but don't quote me. The last mission is the Presidential Palace and it starts out with you on a ledge beneath a stoned castle and you have to use your gymnastic skills to infiltrate the palace. Reminds me of Sydney Bristow and Alias as you have to jump, shimmy, double-jump your way up. Me, having no dexterity at all had a hell of time getting to the top. But,like Shayne says, SC has one of the better checkpoints out there and they at least give you the OPTION of saving, unlike some games... cough Halo..cough cough...

Jay

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Only problem with SC checkpoints IMO is that there are so many ways to move in the game, I have gone around a checkpoint and had to keep doing stuff over and over in Langley. Finally, I went a different way and bam, checkpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks