What's new

SPL setup (1 Viewer)

kyle-sm

Agent
I'm very interested in this SPL meter, how much are they usually, where do I puchase it, and how do I use it. Also those DVD tuning discs that are like $15 how do I use that and is there one that everyone recommends, and a place to buy it. I did a search on these things and didn't come up with much.

Thanks in Advance,
Kyle

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
spl meters are at radio shack.

Avia, ovation and digital video essentials make calibration discs.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, the analog rat shack meter is simple and user-friendly, and it's cheaper.

I find avia to be very straightforward and explanatory, which is good for newcomers to the HT world. It has a very complete audio and video calibration package, and i strongly recommend it.

Did anyone else catch the NYtimes articles on HT guide discs? They had Avia, VE, and i think the S&V disc. They guy writing the article didn't know what he was talking about, but he did end up recommending Avia. Still, any would suffice fine, and the others are cheaper i think.

kyle-sm

Agent
Is this what I need??

ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2565524319&category=23788

cut and paste the link I'm not allowed to post links yet

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
No. that's not what you need. That's a CD with what looks like test tones for Eqing, 2-channel only, and you're not trying(nor should you really have to, except for subs) EQ.

You need Avia, or VE.

http://www.ovationmultimedia.com/avia.html

http://www.videoessentials.com/

Video essentials now has a new disc, Digital Video essentials. Any will work fine, the specific differences are not that huge. I beleive DVE has 6.1, and is cheaper. Again I use avia and find it very straightforward for beginners, but any of these should suffice, and cover both sound AND video, and if anything the video is more important anyway.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Yep, you need VE or AVIA, simple enough.

If you're looking for "how"- there is a basic overview of how to use the meter and tones in the FAQ AND PRIMER.

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
Although not as good or extensive, you can get a BASIC calibration using the THX Optimode found on many current DVD's (Toy story, Terminator, Etc.)

This is NO SUBSTITUTE for Avia or VE but it is better than nothing.

kyle-sm

Agent
Anyone got a recommendation on the bonus DVD that I should get with the video essentials (you get to choose from like 10). I'm leaning towards "Natural Splendors" haha

K

Matt`G

Agent
Just FYI ... Radio Shack has the analog SPL meter on clearance -- I just picked it up for $35. I checked Radio Shack's web site for it a couple weeks back and couldn't find it. It might be possible they are discontinuing?

I asked the local store's employee about the analog one -- he said they didn't have any, but I found a store about 10 miles out that had one left in stock. Hope you have no troubles finding one still!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
In addition to a HT set-up DVD and a SPL meter you'll want to get a tape measure (for proper speaker distance measurments) and a compass (for proper speaker placement) and get all of your setting-up done right the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks