What's new

SPL meter and banana connectors. (1 Viewer)

cabreau

Second Unit
I'm looking for a good, cheap, probably analog SPL meter, and some good but pretty cheap (gold) banana clips/connectors. Anyone have any recommendations?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Most people go with the analog Radio Shack SPL meter. I've not seen any other mentioned or recommended. Runs about 30.00.

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
I've read that the analog RadioShack SPL meter has been discontinued. Is it still available anywhere? If not, is the RS digital SPL meter the next best choice or would you go with some other brand analog meter?

I briefly looked at the manual for the RS digital model. I can understand that it might seem easier to watch a needle on a meter, but it looked like some of the features on the digital model, like peak hold or indicating when a particular reading is hit, would be handy. Set it for the target reading, say 75 db, and crank up the setting on your receiver until the indicator on the meter lights up.

Jack

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I would just ask your local RS store, then check eBay. I'm always under the impression RS stores don't keep much in stock (I think it's just the size of the stores in the malls) but every time I've asked about something they've been able to pull it out of the back. Floor space is lacking I guess.

I've only heard a few vague complaints about the digital one not being as good for the purpose of calibration. Can't tell you why, maybe TOO accurate?

ken-m

Agent
I HAVE THE DIGITAL RADIO SHACK MODEL AND IT IS VERY ACCURATE. MUCH BETTER THAN THE AUTO CALIBRATION IN MOST RECEIVERS.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There is currently a Radio Shack analog model on eBay, ending in the next day or so. The Craftsman would probably be just fine.

I would definitely recommend using a calibration disc versus a receiver's internal test tones. By using a disc you are putting the player and its particular playback characteristics into the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks