What's new

Spirited Away DVDs... (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Woohoo, it's finally local again (it was in my area for like a week and I didn't know about it until it left) and it's at one of the better theaters too!!! I can't wait, I'm off to see it this weekend, with or without other people!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, there will be no word on the issue probably until mid-next week when the box office numbers are in

I expect them to get pushed to early June

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
hmm, I don't know about that. At the very least this ad blitz has put the film in people's minds, and most of the new money will be made this weekend and next anyway

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator
15 screens in Atlanta too, and I saw one ad during primetime TV. I wish there was a better way to tell who if anyone is showing subbed prints though.

Eric F

Screenwriter
That's why I'll wait for the DVD.

It's actually a good idea for them to release the DVD now to cash in on the publicity. We might actually see lower prices now.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Spirited Away showed up at one screen of a local megaplex this weekend. My wife and I went to see it last night and were...well I guess the phrase is "spirited away" by it. Princess Mononoke happens to be the first movie we ever watched on DVD and while it was enjoyable it certainly isn't on our Top 10 favorite movies list. Spirited Away may make the list (pending a chance to see the Japanese-language version on DVD).

Given that we liked Princess Mononoke and loved Spirited Away, what are the chances that we'd also like Castles and Kiki's that will be available in a 3-pack DVD? I'm tempted to go ahead and preorder the 3-pack and have our own Miyazaki festival.

Also (this may belong in the Movies forum), I thought the music in Spirited Away was distracting and inappropriate in places. Was that added to the English-language (Disney) version or was it the same in the original Japanese movie? It wasn't helped by the fact that the sound system in the multiplex was very harsh and fatigue-inducing, we had the same experience when that theater finally showed Far From Heaven a few weeks ago.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Box Office Mojo is predicting this weekend's gross for SA at 1.5 million.

For perspective, that would be out of the top 12. 'Bringing Down the House' is projected #1 at 11.8 million, the Piglet movie at #8 with 3.5 million, and 'Old School' at #12 with 2.2 million.

Gross per screen would be higher than Piglet or Old School.

More accurate numbers later...

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
Given that we liked Princess Mononoke and loved Spirited Away, what are the chances that we'd also like Castles and Kiki's that will be available in a 3-pack DVD?
I saw Miyazaki's films in the same order, with Totoro thron in as well. If you liked Mononoke(as I did), and loved SPirited Away(as I did, too)... then you'll definitely love Kiki, and more than like Laputa. Kiki is just too much fun, and though I enjoyed the heck out of laputa, I'm not sure how high it'd rank for you.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Has there been any indications that other 3-packs will be released, and what they'll include?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The only place I've seen a 3 pack listing was at Amazon, and that looked like they were just grouping the items together. If there is a boxed set, does anyone have a sku?

-Dave

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Amazon seems to list a bunch of "sets" that are somehow "exclusive" to them. Example: for this week's Friends S3 release, they also list a "set" of S1, S2, & S3 together. I recall Sopranos and Sex In The City sets of the same nature.

I also saw them put together some other releases in "sets" based on director, but names/titles escape me at the moment. I also have a vague memory of them having a set of kids titles put together this way.

I don't know of anyone who's purchased them, so I don't know if these are "sanctioned by the studio" (bundled together in some sort of special slipcover), or if these are "Amazon-created" (shrinkwrapped together into one "set"...or perhaps just tossed into the packing box individually!).

In any case, don't count on something like this being "everywhere" just because Amazon lists it.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I don't know if that 3-pack is something Amazon does for themselves or not. At any rate, it's like $3.50 cheaper to buy the 3-pack versus the individual titles so there's not particular reason to seek out the package deal, especially if you weren't going to buy all three movies anyway. From the description I'm sure there's no extra content involved, just the two DVD's per title all bundled into a six DVD "package".

I think I'm going to preorder it. I'm eager to get the Spirited Away DVD as soon as it's out (to see the Japanese-language version) and I'm sure I'll watch the other two movies at least one time each.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
At any rate, will there be subsequent "waves" of such 2-disc releases of other Miyazaki or Ghibli films? Would be nice to have the full catalog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks