What's new

Spirited Away DVDs... (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I personally can wait. I'd rather have a good promotion and more people enjoying the genius of Miyazaki rather than the selfish need to have it in my collection, especially since I saw it twice in the theaters, and I've got a large backlog of stuff to watch anyways.

It is too bad that they didn't do this the first time, tho.

Jason

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind waiting a while if it helps the future of Miyazaki and quality anime in the USA.

This film did not get the theatrical release it deserves and the fact is that many families who might ignore the DVD release will pay more attention with it hitting the multiplexes (it is hitting 2 here tomorrow, and only played in an art house for 3 weeks before). Then when it comes out on DVD it will have had the exposure of the Oscars and playing in the multiplexes.

It would be damned silly to not postpone the DVD and do a wide theatrical release after the Oscar.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I still don't think Disney knows how to handle foreign films, much less anime. I can hear them now- "Oh, it won best animated film- it must be good- let's rerelease it".

Lol. I can only hope that when they do rerelease it, it plays at my local multiplex, instead of some obscure art-house 50+ miles away.

Personally I think it would be better for them just to release the DVD as soon as possible. Anime still isn't a big draw at the theaters, and is selling gangbusters on DVD.

You know how long I've wanted to use "gangbusters" in a sentence? I can die happy now.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW I have the Region 2, Studio Ghibli Collection Japanese edition of Spirited Away and I haven't had any problems with red tint etc. :)

On the other hand there is no English Dub (there IS a French one rather peculiarly) which is fine if you speak Japanese or don't mind subtitles but obviously isn't so suitable if you intend to enjoy the film with younger children.

The DTS Soundtrack is pretty good although as someone else stated earlier in this thread the surround channels are used mostly for ambiance rather than whizzo effects. Surprisingly (well _I_ was surprised) there's no vanilla 5.1 mix on the DVD. Which is a shame if you don't have the right kit because IMHO the 2.0 tracks sound a little 'flatter' than they might.

Now there's an Oscar involved (well deserved, the film is simply spellbinding) I'm hoping there'll be a proper release over here in the UK and I'll get to see it on the big screen so if you Yanks could get out there and make it a big success that would be great! Ta. :D

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
My fiance bought the Japanese Spirited Away DVD almost 6 months ago - I haven't checked for red tint since I heard about the lawsuits by some Japanese consumers, but it's a nice DVD.

There is a dts track but no DD 5.1, and the dts track is pretty decent- immersive at times, though I don't remember it to be too sub-woofer heavy.

I'm really looking forward to the American release of Laputa, since that one has a DD 5.1 track instead of the DD 2.0 track on the Japanese region 2 version.

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
Any comments on the aspect ratio? The disney site says "Widescreen 2.0:1 - Enhanced for 16 x 9 Televisions".
I assume this is a mistake.

John Flegert

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard that Miyazaki likes to see his films in French. Notice the Euro-phile bent of many of his films (Laputa, Kiki, Porco etc)
I hadn't heard that but I now I think about it I guess had noticed the Euro leanings in Kiki and Porco subliminally.

I have to confess I'm something of a newb to Miyazakis work. I recently bought Spirited away based solely on the recommendation of someone I barely know down the pub.

I can't say I've ever been so pleasantly suprised with a DVD purchase before. So much so I promptly splurged all my free cash buying the rest of the Ghibli collections. The customs men must love me. :D

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

Could you expand on your reply? For example, they list the aspect ratio of Toy story as 1.77:1, does this mean that it is something else?

Thanks,
john Flegert

Joel_F

Grip
There were two ads for Spirited Away's rerelease here last night. One on "That 70's Show" and one on "Angel". Are these playing in a lot of markets or are they local to LA?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's playing in three theaters in Boston/Brookline, and not just art-house places. Probably the only reason it's not at a fourth (in Cambridge) is that a lot of new movies are opening tomorrow, including four (with two screens for Bend It Like Beckham) at the Landmark where it played for most of its original theatrical run.

EDIT: www.filmreleases.com has it at 800 theaters. That may not get it to Podunk, Alaska, but it's definitely a national release.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Jason- It is playing at the Sony theater out here in the Natick/Framingham area, unfortunately that theater is like 20yrs old and they haven't upgraded their equipment in all that time. Hard to compete against the MegaPlex accross the street.

I'll have to go to the Chestnut Hill mall if I want to see it in a halfway decent theater. Maybe I'll just wait out the DVD.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I saw it at the Brattle, myself, because I wanted to see in in Japanese and just couldn't make the 10pm showings at Coolidge Corner. If you can get all the way into the city, though, the AMC Fenway doesn't have a bad room in the building.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The ad is playing here in Memphis, and I'm told the film is too (though I haven't looked it up yet myself...I won't be able to get to a theater this weekend in any case).

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Could anyone find the best price of the boxset? Can't find it via DVDPriceSearch...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not sure exactly what you mean by the ‘boxed set’. List price for the 2-disk Spirited Away is $29.99. This would mean that it should be available for $20–$25.

There is also a set of three Miyazaki films (Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky and Kiki’s Delivery Service) scheduled for release on April 15. Suggested retail for the 6-disk set is $89.99. Which means that it could be picked up for $60–$70.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks