Spielberg's Taken - Specs, Cover & Disc Art

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick Mirza, May 14, 2003.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

DreamWorks Home Entertainment has just announced Steven Spielberg Presents Taken. This mammoth alien abduction mini-series, which originally aired last year on the Sci FI Channel, will land in stores on October 21st.

The six-disc set will feature anamorphic widescreen transfers, English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, and a slew of subtitles options. Episodes include (DISC 1) Volume One - Roswell: The Landing, (DISC 2) Volume Two - A New Generation, (DISC 3) Volume Three - Abductions & Government Conspiracies, (DISC 4) Volume Four - Alien Contact, and (DISC 5) Volume Five - The Gift. The sixth disc will be reserved for bonus features to be announced shortly.

Retail is $119.99, with a minimum advertised price of $89.99.

(sorry about the largeness of this scan... it's going to throw the width of this post way off)

[​IMG]

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yep...also available for preorder at DVDPlanet for $83.99 (MAP be damned, I guess! [​IMG] ).

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

You've just made my day. One of the great television events period. Even at that price tag, it's mine no questions asked.

4. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Never watched it...but its Speilberg and I will buy it![​IMG]

5. Dave Molinarolo

Dave Molinarolo Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, surprised the price tag is so high beit a Sci-Fi series rather than an HBO series. But being that it's a Spielberg production I guess that's expected. Band of Brothers both an HBO and a Spielberg production was quite expensive as well. I paid $90 for mine for an Amazon pre-order while Amazon quickly dropped their price to like $68 IIRC, but now it's back up to $90 I see.

I don't know if I'll buy this set or not. My 63-year old father watched it, but I didn't. Although he's a big classic sci-fi fan from way back in his life (Asimov fan), he wasn't really blown away by this series.

6. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

More extras than the R2?

7. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The price is a bit of a disappointment. Based on recent TV-on-DVD releases, I was hoping for an MSRP of $80 or so. Guess i'll be getting this one used.

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Nice. But I might have to get it from Canada. Do DreamWorks do bilingual covers?

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

You didn't think a Spielberg project would carry the same price tag as a standard TV on DVD release did you?

What's the release date on this one?

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

10/21

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

A standard release would have a $60 MSRP. I knew it would be more, but hoping it wouldn't be that much more.

13. johnbr

johnbr Stunt Coordinator

Bummer on the no DTS do's this mean that he is moving a way from it.

14. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

As there are about 3 hours of material on each disc, DTS probably just didn't fit.

15. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

In NZ, we are up to episode six, and I've enjoyed it so far. Don't know whether it would be a must-buy, but I would definitely consider it. The frustrating this is, with the constant replacement of actors as they grow older, whenever a new actor turns up, it takes a minute for me to realise who the new actor is supposed to be.

One question - the titles for each disc may me wonder whether the two episodes on each disc have been re-edited into one 3-hour show. Does anyone know whether this has happened, or whether each disc title is a covering title for the two episodes in that disc.

16. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

Sign me up! I thoroughly enjoyed the series. Another addition to my extensive collection:

LOTR

Hey, I just got a DVD player last week! [​IMG]

Jack

17. James Reader

Supplements for Taken revealed in DVD Exclusive Magazine

18. John DrakeLaw

John DrakeLaw Stunt Coordinator

19. James Reader

Its DD 2.0 or DD 5.1 Ex English language soundtracks only (and only English subtitles too). Unusual for a UK release.

Perhaps this mean's our European neighbours may receive their own versions with the US supplements as well?

20. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Yikes -- that is one expensive little number!!

I was very disappointed to see the cost, but I will probably look around for the best on-line price I can find, swallow hard, and order it. I only got to see a few of the episodes when they aired on SCiFi but what I saw I really loved. I thought I had heard that it was going to be released in April, and when it wasn't I was hoping we wouldn't have to wait too long to see it. But I never expected it to be so expesive! Better start saving those pennies -- at least I am now all done buying The X-Files sets so I have a little more DVD money.

Deborah