What's new

Spider-Man Coming to DVD on November 1, 2002 (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Ahhhhh... What perfect timing by CTHE! One day before my B-Day!! I know what my wife is buying me !! ;) :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The features sound a bit disppointing to me. A bunch of tv specials and a few featurettes. The comic-oriented stuff is promising. I never would've thought an E! special would ever pop up on DVD. How curious. If this wasn't official, I'd definately call this a hoax. Well, it all goes with what Laura Ziskin said. No behind the senes footage to save for the sequel. I would've loved visual effects breakdowns and a nice documentary on the filming that wasn't promotional oriented. The commentaries sound okay, but still disappointing. No Tobey or Willem? They're the stars! I wouldn't have minded Stan Lee on there.

No DTS? A later Superbit title possibly. Both widescreen and fullscreen. I was hoping they'd make widescreen a standard. And it goes to prove my theory: studios are conspiring to market fullscreen. Notice the better cover art. The Grinch's widescreen came in an unattractive green keepcase for crying out loud!

Oh well. I hope there's a 2-disc ultra edition out later. And if they don't announce it, I'll probably buy this one anyway.

And I probably missed it, but can somebody tell pe the price?

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
As I predicted, they could'nt release Spider-Man DVD ala Fellowdudes of the Rings DVD quality. I'd rather have stuffs that's related to the movie, than promotional comics stuffs that are more optional stuffs then required stuffs.
This is sad. It is not even on par with an old titles like Fight Club DVD. It is definitely not on the same level as PH:DC or FOTR:EE.
:frowning:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Considering this doesn't have DTS and considering Columbia is generally good with DTS, I wouldn't be surprised to see this released as a Superbit sometime next year.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Sorry if this is a redundant question but what exactly are Superbit and Superbit Deluxe?

It was my impression that they're just fancy names for Special Edition and Super-Duper Special Edition. Are they anything more than that?

Rob T

Screenwriter
in the stan lee interview with kevin smith.. he talked about his scene being cut from the film.. he had a line of diolouge with Peter Parker.. asking peter if he wanted some x-men glasses.
That's right.
I understand why they had to cut it, but I'd really like to see his big moment in the movie. a half a second isn't a big enough Stan Lee cameo for me. I'd like to see the full thing and Stan said it would be on the DVD. :p)

Travis D

Second Unit
The thing I can't understand is why the need for Widescreen and Fullscreen releases on 1.85 films? It is not that F*CKING WIDE! 2.35 film are understandable as duel releases but A Beautiful Mind, Jurrassic Park, The Grinch, AI, and Spider-Man??? People, you can rough it out or you can be like some in my family and watch the movie streched to fill the screen (I have no idea how they stand it.) but honest to God, is it that bad? Next, they'll be realeasing full screen editions of 1.66 films.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sorry if this is a redundant question but what exactly are Superbit and Superbit Deluxe?

It was my impression that they're just fancy names for Special Edition and Super-Duper Special Edition. Are they anything more than that?
With a standard Superbit disc, the entire disc is devoted to the movie only. The entire bit budget is devoted to the audio and video in order to insure the best quality transfer possible. In other words, since the movie doesn't have to be quite so compressed in order to make room for other features, it can be presented in the best manner possible.

Superbit Deluxe couples the disc above with a second disc containing all of the extras.

I don't think there's been a Superbit title yet that had a commentary track, so that feature would probably be gone if Spider-Man had gone the Superbit route. Also, since trailers and all of the other features on disc one of the current set would have to be moved to disc 2, we might have to lose some of the EPK stuff. Pity. :p)

Brenton

Screenwriter
So is Superbit like a trademarked name or something? It's just a standardized method of organizing film/extras for a particular studio?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think Sean is referring to that mock Superbit cover, Jeff. And, if you mean that's real, it's news to me (and, I suspect, most everyone else in this thread). Please elaborate.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
thanks for explaining what exactly a Superbit is, although I will be getting the Collector's dvd set, I am disappointed that there is no commentary with Tobey & Willem Dafoe, guess that will come just before SpiderMan 2 is released.
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks