What's new

Spider-man 3 - On Going Developments (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
And I have ZERO doubt that imdb got that news from the same place as the person reported it here. imdb isn't any better than we are...they just troll the nets and throw up whatever. They are also usually two-five days late on news. It's a gossip site...it has no insider information.

Take care,
Chuck

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
IMDB definitely has no cred as a good news source.

One villian is vastly superior against two or more.

Whoever they select as the nemesis (or nemesi, :D ), Rami's earned a considerable amount of trust with the Spidey franchise. I have a strong feeling most fans trust the hell out of him at this point; the two flicks so far have been awesome and very well done.

So, just relax and enjoy the show when it hits screens.

Sean*O

Second Unit
Church (along with a team of CGI artists) seems like he would make the perfect Venom.

I think that is the direction they will go, and I also think what they will be able to do with that character will shock the doubters.

I have never been let down by Rami yet... except for covering the face of the perfectly cast Willem Dafoe with that bullet hat in the first Spiderman film.

It was like they took the living incarnate of the Green Goblin and put a Bicycle helmet over his face. That wasn't even the Green Goblin on screen, and I still can't understand why Rami allowed that costume to clear?

But, Oh well.. He is a consistently great director and a true innovator in his field.

I think he will do a great film with Venom and I think it will be the kind of dark film that everyone seems to like. I am seeing shots they could do in my head that would make the character of Venom genuinely scary and a much more threatening nemesis than the previous villains in the series, or the other more friendly villains some say are currently in the running.

I think a lot of it comes down to appearance. Venom has a look that gives little kids nightmares and sticks in people’s minds. He just looks vicious.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"That wasn't even the Green Goblin on screen, and I still can't understand why Rami allowed that costume to clear? "

But Goblin was tricky to pull off on screen. Would it have worked having a guy in a rubber halloween mask?

I understood the costume when Norman talked about killing Mary Jane "nice and slow"at the end of the movie. You can see the menace of Normans face under mask.

As far as science gone wrong in these films, I said the same thing, that that idea may wear out quickly but how else will you explain Electro or Sandman other than some kind of freak accident given them abilities? Even Vulture,Shocker,Scorpion,Mysterio would require someone messing around with technology that enables them to do what they do.

Id love to see Kraven and the Lizard. If Kraven came to NYC to hunt The Lizard it would put Spidey in a dilemma - He would want to help The Lizard because he would see him Doc Conners. It would be a great 3 way battle.

Venom doesnt doesnt appeal to me. Weve seen these types of monster before with Aliens, Hellboy,Blade and whatever.

Id rather see a villian that Ive been dreaming on seeing onscreen since the 70s. While GG was a bit disappointing, Doc Ock was a dream come true - for me anyways.

Just my 2cents.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll wait for an official announcement as to the villains before I get worked up.

I'm pulling for either the Kraven/Lizard combo, also the Sandman or Mysterio would be very good choices.

The idea of a cameo villain (Rhino, Scorpion or the Shocker) in the beginning ala the James Bond films would be very cool.

Hoping like hell it isn't Venom. :thumbsdown: and I never cared all that much for Manwolf so I hope this rumor doesn't turn out.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Sam Raimi has stated his preference for villains who do not wear masks so we can see the actors performance, and get a visceral response to the baddie"

Which is my point for the Goblin mask. I can see why he made the choice he did for the first films costume.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping the villain turns out to be Scorpion. He was always my favorite Spider-Man villain, and I love how Jameson plays a big role in his story. Otherwise, I'll just pass on the film, as I don't care for what Raimi has done with the series so far.

Sean*O

Second Unit
Dafoe did not need a mask of any kind, just a little green paint here an there and *poof* there is the living breathing Green Goblin.

For someone who prefers not to mask charachters, Rami went waaay out of his way to put a mask on Dafoe.

It's just pointless to put a mask on someone who looks so much like the character without one. That was my point. All they really needed to do was accentuate his features a bit.

One more thing to consider on the Venom issue:

I think that of all the possible villains Venom will pull in the biggest numbers for the studio BY FAR. Even that Superherohype poll has Venom leading by more than double the nearest competitor, which reflects upon the overall popularity of the character.

Since this is supposedly Rami & Co's. last go-round with Spidy, I think the studio will want to take in as much cash as possible with it. Hence, Venom as the villain.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Yea Dafoe was awesome as Goblin. Too bad he got stuck in a lame Power Rangers costume.

They could've used a green body suit similar to the new Batman one, and thrown on a purple cloak and boots.

For the next bad guy, I'm still wanting Sandman.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
JoSAN, methinks you're grossly overestimating the importance of the vilain with regard to the interest the movie would generate in the public at large.

I don't think the vast majority of the tens of millions you mention knows, or gives a toss about any of the spiderman vilains.

The flick will make a boatload of loot with a decent marketing effort and as long as it doesn't suck too hard.

--
H

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Its probably true that itll make money no matter what, but I tend to agee with those saying alot of the people taking their kids to this being familiar with alot of the oldschool stuff. Everyone in their 30s 40s saw the old Spidey cartoon or Spiderman & his Amazing Friends and so on.

Like Superman and Batman, even is they didnt read the comics,they have a general idea who the classic villians while Venoms is only known to the modern audience.

The choice of Larry David added to this cast makes me curious. Like most, when I see him I think Vulture.Everyone keeps saying the third will be the last one, but Raimi has already said if they want him to do more after 3, he would love to do it.

Hopefully, we should be getting some more info soon.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Venom has been kicking around for almost twenty years now - maybe longer; wasn't Secret Wars in '84? It's not like you're talking about having Hush be the villain in the next Batmovie.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Didnt Venom first appear around 1988 or so.

(I had given up on Marvel back in 84 or so, but still had some limited exposure to what was going on because of a couple friends who were still reading some of their books, like Spiderman,Hulk and X-Men.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks