What's new

Spider-man 3 - On Going Developments (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I still think the best action scene of the movie was Peter and Harry's fight in his penthouse. There was a brutality and sense of danger to that sequence that was sorely lacking in the other fight scenes. That was also really the only time you felt how menacing dark Peter could be. Loved the "Goblin Jr". line by the way.

Peter's blubbering when MJ dumped him, as well as the end scene with Harry drew some of the biggest laughs with the audience I saw it with. Don't get me started on his "dance" sequence at MJ's club. It felt lifted from another movie (*cough* "The Mask" *cough*).

Spidey 3 really could've been the cherry-on-top of this trilogy, but sadly ended up being a movie made by committee. The producers should've given Raimi as much control over #3 as he had on Spidey 2. While the movie is far from the abortion that either "Superman 3" or "Batman & Robin" were, Spidey 3 does look destined to be considered the weakest movie of the series.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"For a film that cost $250,000,000 to make, it's not really that impressive."

The worldwide as of last weekend is 750 million, according to IMDB. That's not so shabby.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The most impressive thing about Spidey 3 has been how its performed overseas at the box office. Its already the most successful film of the franchise abroad and while it won't be as successful domestically as the previous two movies (it'll still end up with a domestic haul in the area of $340-$350 million which is nothing for Sony to feel down about), it will easily become the most successful worldwide. Topping out in the neighborhood of $900 million.

You just get the feeling had the movie been more universally loved that it would've gone on to gross more than $1 billion globally. Can you imagine how successful 'The Phantom Menace' would've been had it been universally loved? Still, it is quite impressive how both films managed to make obscene amounts of money despite such lukewarm receptions.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Here's the biggest reason I didn't like S3:

Remember that great scene in Spidey 2 when Peter confesses to Aunt May that he let Uncle Ben's killer get away? That beautiful scene of redemption and forgiveness?

Well, by changing the identity of Uncle Ben's killer, S3 just basically rendered that moment completely mute.

We need a "Dallas" moment at the beginning of S4 where Peter comes out of the shower to find out that S3 was a dream.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Other things I didn't like:

1. Spidey having the "chat" with Sandman at the end (where Spidey forgives Sandman with tears, etc.) then dropping down a few levels to do it all over again with Harry. I felt cheated by the whole thing, since Harry was the character who deserved to have a noble death, and instead the movie has to spend time allowing Sandman and Spidey to have their chat, which was ultimately unmoving since the film spent so little time developing this part of the story.

2. I think Spiderman was actually in this film for like 15 minutes. I missed swinging through the city, I missed the banter, I missed Spiderman.

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
This movie suffered from the "too many villains" syndrome. Sandman was a complete waste of screen time. They had a good setup to use for venom with JJJ's kid going to outer space, but instead we got a rock that fell from outer space and just happened to land 100ft from Spiderman and no one noticed? Weak. The movie was OK but it did not move the story along like 1 and 2, we ended right back where we started.

I also thought it strange that his spider sense was never used/mentioned in this film. I hope they make more movies, but stick with better villains like in 2, Doc Ock was the best villain of any super hero moves to date IMHO. They really took the time to flesh out the character

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5748

Spider-Man 3 Tops $800 Million Worldwide!

Source: Box Office Mojo
May 27, 2007

Spider-Man 3 added $13.7 million from Friday-to-Sunday of the four-day Memorial Day Weekend to bring the film's total to $303.3 million domestically. Internationally, the third installment earned another $19.1 million to take the foreign total to $499 million. Worldwide, Spider-Man 3 has now earned $802.4 million, which is higher than Spider-Man 3 ($783.8 million) and approaching Spider-Man ($821.7 million). It is currently 23rd on the all-time domestic blockbuster list and 16th on the all-time worldwide list.

While Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End opened worldwide last week, Spider-Man 3 kept almost all of its records, including: Opening day ($59.8 million), single day ($59.8 million), best Friday ($59.8 million), best Saturday ($51.3 million), domestic opening weekend ($151.1 million), international opening week ($230.5 million) and worldwide opening weekend ($381.7 million).

"At World's End" has earned $126.5 million domestically and $205.5 million internationally, for a worldwide total of $332 million after five days.

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I liked Spider-man 3. I felt it fit in nicely with the overall triology. They may have tried to push the Peter Parker geek trying to be cool thing a little but oh well. I liked the movie overall. just my thoughts.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"I guess that there a few more people out there that like 3 better than 2"

I'd guess that the fact that 2 is so good enticed a lot more people to give 3 a chance, hence the smash opening weekend. Matrix 2 enjoyed the same kind of benefit, 3 fell off because 2 was considered disappointing. I wonder if Pirates 3's opening weekend business has to do with people's perception of part 2.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www2.superherohype.com/news.php?id=5797

Go Behind the Spider-Man 3 Scenes at SIGGRAPH' 07

Source: SIGGRAPH 2007
June 4, 2007

SIGGRAPH 2007 released the following announcement today:

Ground-breaking discussions will occur as the leading artists on "Spider-Man 3" will reveal the creative challenges and technical achievements in creating the triple threat of the movie's dangerous villains at SIGGRAPH 2007, the 34th International Conference and Exhibition on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques held 5-9 August 2007 at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California, USA.

For the first time in its history, Sony Pictures Imageworks produced fully articulated, performing CG characters entirely composed of dynamically generated particles and fluids. These digital characters, which embodied key-framed performance animation, interacted with each other and with live-action characters in real and synthetic environments. Academy Award-winning Senior Visual Effects Supervisor Scott Stokdyk, Digital Effects Supervisors Ken Hahn and Peter Nofz, and Animation Director Spencer Cook (all returning for their third "Spider-Man") explore their experience in bringing these legendary characters and this series to life at SIGGRAPH 2007.

"This is just one of many rare opportunities to experience the behind-the-scenes perspective from Hollywood's industry experts," stated Special Sessions Co-Chair Jerome Solomon. "In fact, we have an amazing line up of talent presenting work in 'Shrek,' 'Spider-Man 3,' and the Oscar winner, 'Happy Feet.' Nowhere else but at SIGGRAPH can you find such opportunities to obtain real experience and innovative insights."

SIGGRAPH 2007 will bring an estimated 25,000 computer graphics and interactive technology professionals from six continents to San Diego, California, USA for the industry's most respected technical and creative programs focusing on research, science, art, animation, gaming, interactivity, education, and the web from 5-9 August at the San Diego Convention Center. SIGGRAPH 2007 includes a three-day exhibition of products and services from the computer graphics and interactive marketplace from 7-9 August 2007. More than 250 international exhibiting companies are expected. Registration for the conference and exhibition is open to the public. More details are available at www.siggraph.org/s2007

The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) SIGGRAPH sponsors SIGGRAPH 2007. ACM is an educational and scientific society uniting the world's computing educators, researchers, and professionals to inspire dialogue, share resources and address the field's challenges. ACM strengthens the profession's collective voice through strong leadership, promotion of the highest standards, and recognition of technical excellence. ACM supports the professional growth of its members by providing opportunities for life-long learning, career development, and professional networking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks