What's new

Spider-man 3 - On Going Developments (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Sam Raimi surprised a lot of press this weekend when he revealed that Columbia Pictures intends for "Spider-Man 3" to be the final film in the series. Seems, Sony's film head Amy Pascal has made it clear that she wants a definitive finale and so all the loose threads from the last two films must be tied up. So what does that mean story wise? Raimi spoke to LatinoReview about the possibilities and what that might mean for the Harry Osborn/Hobgoblin arc

"I'm not sure what's in Harry's mind. I'm trying to figure that out right now. It's like if you blamed someone for the death of your father all these years and someone who was supposedly this hero, vigilante, and then you realized that your father was a mass murderer, it might change things...As much of a responsibility as I have to the fans of the comic books, I also have an equal responsibility to be true to the intelligence of the character as portrayed in the Spider-Man movies".

Despite Pascal's intentions, Raimi seemed keen on working on further Spidey movies if he were allowed to but will concede to her wishes for now - "One thing that Amy Pascal told me was that she wants to make this a proper ending to the Spider-Man saga. I'd like to keep directing Spider-Man movies but I think she's thinking that the audience feels they want to see one more and no more. They want to have a proper ending to the story now. So I think maybe she's right, and so I'm approaching it under her guidance and that's how I'm trying to think of this film as the end".
for more info http://www.latinoreview.com/intervie...onspidey3.html

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. And unfortunate. If they were able to maintain the quality, I think a Spiderman 4 would have been a good idea, and (based on my limited understanding of comic book history, entirely gained from a friend's reference book on Spiderman) that would have been the place for the Hobgoblin. I could accept Harry at the end of 2 would not become the Hobgoblin, but the knowledge he gained about his father would probably send him to a very dark place as he begins to question everything about his world. Once there, it would probably not take much to push him into instability, and then into Hobgoblin for a great final episode in a four-film series. That would work.

But, if they are forcing it to end at 3, then they have to leave out the Hobgoblin, which would be a shame as that is where they had been leading up to.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd take this with a grain of salt. Spidey 3 isn't even scheduled to start filming until January 2006, which is something like thirty years away in film-development time, and I doubt that either Sony or Marvel will be particularly interested in not having Spider-movie money coming in. Whether the same cast and creative crew will still be involved is an open question, but I doubt that anyone is definitively ruling out Spider-Man 4.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Perhaps Sony feels making this a trilogy will cement the Spidey films' status as "new classics", instead of letting the series run on and on, slowly diluting itself. While I would gladly gobble up whatever amount of spidey films they throw at me, I have to admire this move. They'll probably close off the current story arc and revisit the Spidey universe sometime in the next decade.

As for how to end things... Here's my suggestion: Do "The Death of Gwen Stacy" storyline, with MJ taking Gwen's role. I don't know if it'd be wise to end the trilogy on such a sad note, but it could make for a great, great film.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Theyre always changing their minds. 6 months ago they wanted 6 films.

There will definitely be more than 3 Spidey films.

Real Name
Anthony
If SPIDER-MAN 3 makes anything like the kind of money 2 did, anyone who thinks the series -in some form or another- will end there doesn't have much understanding of the movie business.

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Yeah right, these films do what 300 mil a piece total or something. There is NO WAY they will stop at three...as long as the sequels keep bringing in cash!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Overseas grosses put each film at nearly a billion.

Sure she says that, but considering Columbia's past, I have a feeling that money is more important than being "noble"...by ending the series on a high note because.... duh... it's a movie company.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
Spider-Man should go the Star Trek or Pokemon route and just become a fully-bonafide film franchise.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

What you said, Anthony! The studio might or might not be able to talk the principals into returning after 3 [such as Tobey Maguire, Spidey himself] without a huge raise and/or a bigger share of the gross.

BUT, if they handle it intelligently, not something Hollywood is particularly noted for, the movie franchise could go on for quite a while. If they have to go the James Bond route and re-cast the leads well, and intelligently, (still not a Hollywood trait) I think they could pull it off. Spider-man has not had this huge a cult following for this many years for it to suddenly fizzle out and disappear. The movies are almost a separate franchise in and of themselves, and as noted by posters above, a huge cash cow.

If this lady succeeds with her plan to stop such a cash cow in its tracks, I don't see her having much of a future in the movie business. It might be another case of a business kicking itself forever for making a stupid move, such as M&M is still doing for not allowing its product to be placed in E.T. (Reece's Pieces, on the other hand, probably gave a huge bonus and/or promotion to the person who told Spielberg, "Why not?" especially considering how well the sales of Reece's Pieces took off after E.T.)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
There will be a Spider-Man 4. Sure, they may wrap up all the loose ends in the third film, but they'll come up with something new for the fourth one. This is a billion dollar franchise for Sony. There's no way they just sit on it and do nothing.

This is the same reason incidentally that I don't believe for a second that Revenge of the Sith will be the last Star Wars movie.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
They could to a TV show instead like Star Wars is planning to do.
Frankly, I think Spider-Man works better when handled in an episodic manner.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
This is a surprise? I never assumed the current team was doing more than 3, but certainly someday there will be a fourth, even if it is 10-20 years later.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
"One thing that Amy Pascal told me was that she wants to make this a proper ending to the Spider-Man saga. I'd like to keep directing Spider-Man movies but I think she's thinking that the audience feels they want to see one more and no more. They want to have a proper ending to the story now. So I think maybe she's right, and so I'm approaching it under her guidance and that's how I'm trying to think of this film as the end."

I like how she assumes she has my opinion. There are so many great villians that have not been used. I thought we were supposed to see Michael Clark Duncan as the Kingpin, Dr. Connors as the Alligator... I LOVE the first two films, and I could see this as a huge franchise.

Ryan

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, forgive me if I don't take Ms. Pascal's words as anything but clever marketing. "Come see the LAST adventure of Spider-Man!" and all that. But let's look at the numbers.

Spider-Man $820+ million worldwide

Spider-Man 2 $775+ m

So let's assume that Part 3 will gross at least $700m worldwide. The first exec who says "NO" to a SM4 will be the first one on the unemployment line.

Superman 3 was supposed to be the final installment. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter anyone? Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare?

I do appreciate the idea of trilogies, and that the filmmakers want to adhere to the plot threads brought up in the earlier installments...but I don't buy the "three and done" info. At all.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Just as a quick toss-up, as far as I know Kingpin will never be in a Spider-man movie. It was part of the deal Fox made with Columbia/Tri-Star when Fox went along with Daredevil, that Kingpin would never appear in the other studio's franchise.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
"I'd like to keep directing Spider-Man movies but I think she's thinking that the audience feels they want to see one more and no more."

If that was the case with the comics, the franchise never would have lasted long enough to have a movie made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks