What's new

Spider-Man 3 (4k Master) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

61CIzySY6LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We're getting a bunch of 4K masters all at once. There's this, Godzilla, and 1 or 2 more that I'm forgetting. Are they all Sony?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
Yeah, the "Mastered In 4K" junk is essentially a new version of their Superbit DVDs.
Without the filtering or edge enhancement added to them, i get your point though, no extra content despite having the space for it. There are subtle improvements to these releases which make them worthwhile for big screen owners.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Without the filtering or edge enhancement added to them, i get your point though, no extra content despite having the space for it.
Yeah and I assume that the discs will all look better than their original Blu-ray releases but at the same time, I don't really care if it was mastered in 4K when I can only watch it at 2K. Even if I got a 4KTV, the disc still won't be 4K.

Other studios are releasing titles using 4K sources but they aren't putting a banner on the top of the cover to make it look like they're 4K discs.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
Yeah and I assume that the discs will all look better than their original Blu-ray releases but at the same time, I don't really care if it was mastered in 4K when I can only watch it at 2K. Even if I got a 4KTV, the disc still won't be 4K.

Other studios are releasing titles using 4K sources but they aren't putting a banner on the top of the cover to make it look like they're 4K discs.
I think it's to try and help sell their 4K televisions and projectors, when 4K discs eventually arrive later in the year or early next year i can see Sony/Columbia being the first studio to put the real 4K discs out in support of the players, until then this mastered in 4K will continue, i personally do like to know the disc has been done at a higher resolution because it does result in more detail on the blu ray release than a 2K film scan, i'm also very glad that they don't add any excessive sharpening or DNR, they see film grain as natural, if this was Universal or Paramount i'm pretty sure they would screw it up somehow.

Of course you also have xvYCC expanded colour for those with the right Sony display tech.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I agree with Travis. 4K mastering is great, but the huge banner and the "Optimized for 4K TVs" is very misleading, and obviously designed to take advantage of customers who don't know better.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
RolandL said:
Maybe its my monitor and/or old eyes, but the current mastered in 4K discs don't look much better if any than the 2K. Let the flaming begin!

Ghostbusters

Glory

The Amazing Spiderman
Not any that i can see with The Amazing Spiderman or Ghostbusters but Glory has more detail.

They went back to the original non-contrast boosted look for Ghostbusters, i think there isn't much difference with those two due to the fact those releases already came from a 4K film scan, ( not 2K ) Glory on the other hand was originally from a 2K scan, check out Godzilla, that was also a 2K film scan for the first release and also shows detail improvement just like Glory.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
You can see using the PNG files that the "Mastered for 4K" for The Amazing Spiderman has some shots that are sharper with cleaner lines (basketball hoop net, traffic and highrise windows) but it is hard to tell if that is just from applying more sharpening (or possibly less blur than the 2K?).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Chuck Anstey said:
You can see using the PNG files that the "Mastered for 4K" for The Amazing Spiderman has some shots that are sharper with cleaner lines (basketball hoop net, traffic and highrise windows) but it is hard to tell if that is just from applying more sharpening (or possibly less blur than the 2K?).
Yes i see that after taking a second look at the caps, i had only checked out the first pic on Amazing and didn't see it, i should have checked out more, good catch Chuck, looking again i see that even the first pic has a small increase in detail, if they did sharpen they did it in a subtle way, no halo's, it looks natural, not the way Universal do it, maybe it's also a higher bitrate and better encoding, maybe they "hand tune" the encode for individual scenes on their mastered in 4K releases.

P.S. JPG at 90% is good enough to show it too, indeed tests i have done for my own site show that 100% quality JPG is identical to PNG when viewed on screen sizes over 100 inches in size and 90% is also near impossible to see differences hence the reason cap-a-holics uses them, saves bandwidth too, don't take my word for it, view both and form your own opinion.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
SPIDERMAN 3 wasn't even finished in 4K. 2 was (sans effects shots), but the DP felt that the resulting 4K "look" was too unforgiving and did the SPIDERMAN 3 DI at 2K as a result. So yeah, this is basically bullsh*t.

Vincent

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Vincent_P said:
SPIDERMAN 3 wasn't even finished in 4K. 2 was (sans effects shots), but the DP felt that the resulting 4K "look" was too unforgiving and did the SPIDERMAN 3 DI at 2K as a result. So yeah, this is basically bullsh*t.

Vincent
The Lord Of The Rings trilogy also had 2K digital intermediates, it didn't stop them from going back and re-doing them for the extended editions which makes them look so much better than the theatrical cuts on blu ray, the issues with the theatrical cuts were all down to the digital intermediates as the source for the first blu ray release, the artifacts are on the DI.

Incidentally Spiderman 3 was done in 4K, after a little research i pulled up the info below that Spiderman 3 had a 4K digital intermediate made, where are you getting your information from. Information below.

http://www.studiodaily.com/2007/06/technicolors-4k-spider-man-di-pipeline-on-the-sony-studio-lot/

When Technicolor Creative Services announced it would open a digital intermediate facility on the Sony lot, the idea was that the proximity of DI to sound mixing and other studio services would create massive efficiencies. That was just proven true with the 4K DI of Spider-Man 3, which was mixed at Sony’s adjacent sound-mixing stages.

Though TCS had used the DI suite for a small job, Spider-Man 3 was its first 4K feature film, which meant the first test of its 4K pipeline. “We needed enough storage so that we could color-correct off of 2K proxies of the 4K material, because you can’t run 4K real time,” explains Nakamura, who reports that his room relies on the Da Vinci Resolve 4K corrector. (The facility also has a Lustre system.) “For speed and expedience, we made 2K proxies and color-corrected those, and then those corrections work back to the 4K files that sit on the SAN.” Software programmers at Da Vinci rewrote some code for the TCS pipeline. “Nothing big,” says Nakamura. “But some workflow aspects were adjusted to make it faster for the way I work. They were simple things, like having an icon showing up for auto-save when it’s auto-backing up, which can take awhile. They fixed all those small things so we could manage it better.”

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The effects work was done at 2K, but the DI was scanned at 4K. From Bill Pope in American Cinematographer:

Although the visual-effects work and final filmout were done at 2K, Spider-Man 3 was scanned at 4K for the DI. Pope notes he was very excited to do a 4K scan for Spider-Man 2 (see AC June ’02), but he would have preferred to work in 2K on its sequel. “I’ve found that I actually like 2K scans better. There’s a certain softness to 2K, in addition to softening filters that are not yet available in 4K, that hides a lot of flaws. 4K is so brutally sharp and clear there’s nowhere to hide. Every blemish, every wrinkle, every hour of work into a late night or a long week shows up on the actor’s face, and that’s not what I want to see — especially not in a movie like this, which is set in a made-up wonderland. It’s just too much to fight later on.
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:11px;background-color:rgb(249,249,249);]“In many ways, cinematography is about deciding what you don’t want to see, and if you don’t have the tools to erase what you don’t want to see later on, you tend to walk away from that tool the next time. Right now we’re doing 2K projection and 2K effects, so why bother to scan at 4K when it’s just too sharp? Honestly, if I’d thought about it more carefully, I would have shot all the actors through a light [Tiffen] Pro-Mist filter or something similar, just to take some of that sharp curse off the back end. I used a little filtration in the shooting, but not nearly enough.” [/color]

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
cafink said:
I agree with Travis. 4K mastering is great, but the huge banner and the "Optimized for 4K TVs" is very misleading, and obviously designed to take advantage of customers who don't know better.
I agree that the whole "Mastered in 4K" selection is there to make it seem as though there is native 4K content for 4K displays. But I do recall reading somewhere that one of the other benefits of these titles, aside from the expanded color, is that they are encoded with an algorithm that ensures that they rescale better on 4K displays (i.e. a 2K to 4K upscaling improvement). Hence the "optimized for 4K TVs" tag may actually be accurate. So if you have a 4K display, there may be a more noticeable difference between the 2K and 4K versions of these movies.

For anyone else, I believe that whatever marginal image quality improvements are provided would not be worth the cost of repurchasing these movies if you already have them on standard Blu. Much better to put that money towards native 4K content when you get a 4K display.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Johnny Angell said:
We're getting a bunch of 4K masters all at once. There's this, Godzilla, and 1 or 2 more that I'm forgetting. Are they all Sony?
If they are Sony (who's the one most emotionally invested in trying to convince us we like 4K), then tradition tells us Spidey 3 and Godzilla will be the first--
Followed by, per sacred ritual, at least one of the Resident Evil movies, The Fifth Element, Labyrinth, and the Adventures of Baron Munchhausen.

It's become a sort of comforting tradition for them, to get themselves over the trauma of a new technology.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I don't understand why spidey3 gets the treatment first. Considering it is not the best of that trilogy. It was also the first bluray if the spidey franchise.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scott Burke said:
I don't understand why spidey3 gets the treatment first. Considering it is not the best of that trilogy. It was also the first bluray if the spidey franchise.
It doesn't get the treatment first, the other two have been available for some time as mastered in 4K titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks