What's new

Spider-Man 2.5 (yes, it's already planned!) (merged) (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I was still laughing at that part when the next scene was going on.
I felt this version was funnier in parts.. which helped in more ways then one.
there is added scene in the 2.1 that relates to spidey 3. when peter turns on the police scanner. I have been reading the novelization for spidey 3. they talk more about the scanner. I don;t remember seeing it in the theatre version of spidey 2.
the visit to the doctor.. about losing your soul. I think its interesting it would said there.. foresee of spidey 3 with the black suit.

Jacob

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
Heh, I paid a visit to the previously not-mentioned retailer, and they did indeed have it! This almost makes me forgive them for not having the Superman tin the day it came out. Almost.

Anywho, can't wait to watch this later!

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
TheBat,

The other, major reference to Spider-Man 3 was the extended birthday party scene. Those extra bits between Harry and Peter are huge, in my opinion.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone post a list of changes and additions... kinda on the fence with the whole thing. I like the version as is and don't know if they're messing with a good thing (ala. the hundred Extended, Uncut versions of other movies out there)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Ign has a review for it and has screenshots for it.

don't have the link on me at the moment.

Jacob

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
Mike*Sch, Raimi has publicly said that the theatrical version is his preferred cut. He just participated in the 2.1 cut to keep fans happy and because Sony wanted money (big surprise there). The extended scenes are better, such as the MJ/Peter scene after the birthday party, the extended Harry/Peter talk at the party and make more sense in the context of the film. They don't necessarily improve the film to a great degree, but it was still nice to see. Didn't care for the alternate Hal Sparks scene, the J.J. Jameson as Spidey, and the extended train sequence.

Anyway, I like Sony's presentation of Spider-Man 2.1. I agree that the PQ is much better and clearer than the 2004 edition -- and there aren't any previews that open up either disc 1 or disc 2. After the Sony Home Entertainment opening logo opens, it takes you straight to the menu. I wish Sony had done a different menu system instead of just rehashing the 2004 animation and backgrounds. Spanish and Portuguese subtitles (but no English or French) are also available for the commentary as well, if you speak either language and need them.

The extras were good -- though the commentary was blah (didn't know Alvin Sargent is a man of few words, even though his wife kept pressing him to talk about it). I really liked the SM-3 behind-the-scenes special and the trailer, as well as Behind 2.1 and Multi-Angle: Danny Elfman's Score. But the 2-disc edition feels superfluous -- most of the extras would fit on the first disc without neglible impact on the picture quality.

I'd recommend 2.1 on the basis of the picture quality and some of the extras, although the 2004 edition has much more quality extras than this. Still, it's at least not a barebones double-dip by Sony and all the extras are new for this edition.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I really like the additions, and don't think they pull away from the film like longer versions sometimes do. However, the original Hal Sparks scene was much, much funnier.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I don't typically "double dip," but I had watched the 2004 version a few weeks ago and remembered what an excellent movie it was.

So I purchased the 2.1 version.

I must say, the additions are nice -- not terribly intrusive or awkward feeling.

And it looks absolutely beautiful on my 37-inch Vizio with a regular progressive scan Sony DVD player. This is a really nice transfer.

I hear they're doing the same thing for "Fantastic 4," which means I'll be doing this again in a couple of months!

Wow, I thought that disappointing version shown on FX was going to be the same one included on this DVD. This is a real surprise and more of what I was expecting when an extended version was advertised last year.

BTW, here's the link to that IGN review.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
so that part where peter is in the closet messing around with the mops
is longer now? I never got why he was doing that, was it on purpose? - its his fault he was late with the pizzas. that part wasn't funny to me either.

anyone else feel the same?

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
^It's just a harmless bit of slapstick. I found it funny.

And it didn't make him late...he messed with the mops for all of maybe thirty seconds. He was several minutes late.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't like it, Stephen. It, along with the scene where Peter kept getting clocked in the head on campus, were heavy-handed attempts to make Peter the hard luck kid. The scene where he got stuck with the serving tray at the wedding announcement was better, but it all added up to being way too much. It wasn't enough for me to dislike the movie, but I didn't like that particular element.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
watched it last night.

i thought was great.
i liked the added scene at the birthday party and a couple other including the dr visit.

the extra fight scenes also were extra added punch.
i would like this to be the version coming to bluray but it'll probably the theatrical version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks