What's new

SPHE Publicity: Platoon 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So how does the PQ looks in cointrast to the last S.E.?

I am also not looking at HD for some time until I feel a sense of security in buying into a singular format and see some consistency in regards to releases and older catalogue titles... but in the meantime, I would love to upgrade this DVD.

But only if it is indeed an upgrade!

Could anyone please tell me whether the PQ is a marked improvement from the last release and whether the issues that Geoff mentioned are newly introduced with this transfer (see Midnight Cowboy), or what we've seen before?

Thanks.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
FYI - I did a quick run through of this vs. my R1 SE.

My opinion: The PQ looks pretty much alike so it appears to be the same transfer as the R1 SE.

Me, I enjoy deleted scenes and well made and informative bonus materials(docs/commentaries) so I'm not balking too much. But if you already have the R1 SE and don't care much for bonus material you might want to think twice about this one.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I stand by my comments on the PQ - although it does actually improve for the last reel or two - and IMO the dts audio is a waste of space. The audio of the film is a product of its time: good quality overall but the stock gunshot effects are weak and it's short on bass and rear channel activity.

The Dolby 5.1 mix is a decent representation of the original audio, but the limited range of the material means that a dts version is spurious at best, kinda like the dts tracks on Sony's SE Fistful of Dollars/Few Dollars More DVDs (you guys'll get those eventually ;)).

Still, I'm glad I bought Platoon but if that's the best the movie can look on DVD then I'm disappointed. "Pristine" transfer my ass. There just doesn't seem to be much detail lurking beyond the grain, the source used is very spotty and those skin tones can look awful orangey at times. Maybe it'll look better upscaled...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Better late than never :). I was looking to possibly swap my SE copy for the new CE. Found this thread, saw Cameron's linked review, and I'm sitting tight.

Thanks all!

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Platoon fans may (or may not) be happy to know that a steelbook version of this film is scheduled for release on June 5, 2007 (details/specs will be available shortly). It is available for pre-order on Amazon (and presumably other online e-tailers).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks