What's new

SPHE Press Release: The Three Stooges Collection, Volume One: Years 1-2 (1 Viewer)

Matthew H

Second Unit
Subtitiles or not, according to another person who has the set all of the shorts are closed captioned.

(I prefer CC to Subs myself anyway)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Very disappointed that there are no subtitles. As previously stated, CC does no good if running through a progressive scan setup. Why a major studio release in 2007 doesn't have English subtitles is beyond me.

That aside, this looks to be a great release.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
If we wind up getting all of these nearly-200 shorts in the next few years, I couldn't care less if they weren't subtitled or had no extras.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
No extras?!What happened to all of the bonus material,that PaulP said this set was supposed to contain(see post #10)?I'll be getting this,though I'm somewhat disappointed Sony didn't include the extras.

Matthew H

Second Unit
The extras are still coming, folks... Sony's holding all of the goodies for possiblility of Shemp and Joe sets down the road. I guess they figure the Curly sets will sell fine by themselves without any extras, and by judging the Amazon sales ranks - they're right!

But don't get too excited.. the sales have to keep up to get all 190. Right now the plan is to have all of them released within a 3-year time frame.. Season 2 is currently on the table, so we'll see!

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

I've heard this in several places. But it sounds like a threat or blackmail.

I mean, Sony released over 20 different Three Stooges DVDs in single-disc hodge-podged "Themed sets" that everyone HATED. They had as few as 4 or 5 different shorts & were way over-priced. Most didn't even have a "Play All" button. None of them contained a single bonus feature. And then the studio colorized some of the previously released shorts and sold them again...much to the dismay of Stooge fans and movie lovers everywhere. Everyone hated those DVDs.

Apparently they sold enough of those things to come back to the well 20 + times.

I suspect that this solid presentation (for which Sony deserves support and a big thank-you from me) will do equally as well, if not much better.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's why I thought it would have made more sense to release these in 3 "sets". Do the 30s, 40s, and 50s. That way, all the "Curly Only" Nuts would have to buy the 40s set too whether they wanted Shemp or not, just to get the rest of the Curly features. And it would be easier to push Joe Besser's 50s films when the set also included Shemp.

There shouldn't be a problem selling the Curly volumes, but I'm concerned when they get to Shemp, and later Joe Besser. Me? I want Shemp and Joe more than the Curly's at this point.

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd W. Zimmerman
I think the Shemp shorts will pick up right where the Curlys leave off. Where the sales will get tough will be when they reach the remake years (1953-1956), along with the Joe shorts. However, I do expect those sets to still be released for the satisfaction of Stooge completists (like me).

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I know Vol 1 only came out in October, but has anyone heard any rumblings of Vol 2?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'll be surprised and above all bitterly disappointed if there's no Volume 2 in 2008. I'd like to think this series could stand two releases a year!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I dont know if theyll give us 2 releases a year, but the first set is still selling well at amazon,so I would definitely expect volume 2 this year.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
It's disappointing that there hasn't been any news on when the next volume is going to be released.I enjoyed the first volume,though I had to go through a lot of trouble to get it. As for how many sets could,or should,be released in a year,I think releasing two per year is very doable.Release one around March/April/May and then release the next one around September/October/Novemeber.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks