What's new

SPHE Press Release: The Three Stooges Collection, Volume One: Years 1-2 (1 Viewer)

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd W. Zimmerman

That's actually correct. As a youth, Moe appeared in a number of shorts for Vitagraph Studios, including one with baseball great Honus Wagner. Unless someone finds a copy in their attic, those movies are permanently gone, having been destroyed when the Vitagraph studio caught fire.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Just a guess, but I'm betting any extras will be in the last one or two sets, when many buyers will have the urge to skip the Joe Besser shorts. Extras will sweeten the pot a little.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I'm rarely impressed by DVD covers. All that matters to me is the spine - can I read what's inside the box when it's crammed on the shelf?

Matthew H

Second Unit
I think it's time to whip out my Three Stooges Scrapbook and brushen up a little bit.. and I did mean Shemp was a star. Which he was (you can see his Filmography at ThreeStooges.net). I think correcting someone as small as something like that is a bit unnecessary.. and your comment of me confusing Thelma Todd with Walter Brennan is just plain ignorant. I don't mind being corrected, but there's a fine line between correcting someone and trying to make them feel like a total idiot because they don't know as much about things as you, or they have a few facts incorrect. I got Marjorie White confused with Themla Todd, which of course you obviously knew given the fact you knew the conductor's name but instead wanted to be pompous about it. Totally not called for. I don't know what it is with most of you older film buffs, but if someone doesn't know half the things you do it's like they're maroons. Don't bother rebutting this, because whatever your reply will be will no doubt be uncalled for as well, so I won't be reading it.

On topic then, the extras intend to be included with later releases. As of now Sony has no set-in-stone plans about the releases, but apparently they feel if they release just the Curly's with no bonus features they'll still sell relatively well. Sad, but it's true.

Ryan

Grip
I'm really excited that Sony seems to finally be doing right by the stooges! I stopped buying regular DVDs over a year ago in favor of high definition but I'll definitely be making an exception in this case (and also the Looney Tunes sets). I truly hope that Sony'll stick with it and release the entire series on about ten (or so) sets. In an age when just about every mundane TV series ever made is being released in lavish box sets, you'd think there'd be enough interest in the stooges to warrant similar treatment. I hope and pray that the owners of the Our Gang sound shorts and Laurel & Hardy sound shorts will follow suit in the near future.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since there are so many Stooges experts around...I'll try one of these:

What was the name of the short (and time period) in which the boys start-up a dog-washing service?

I saw this on TV probably 25 or 30 years ago and have wanted to see it again ever since! :D

On topic: I think I'll be supporting this set. If for no other reason than I've got a 17-year old son who I don't believe has ever been exposed to the humor of The Three Stooges. How can I send him off to college like that?! :D

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James

Mutts to You and it came out in 1938 so it will be in volume 2.

Here it is in two 9 minute parts on You Tube.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRNDh...elated&search=

Part 2

Ignore the title that the person wrote down you can actually see that it is called Mutts To You in the opening credits.

Good luck to your son in college and i hope he enjoys the Stooges as much as we do.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
I am hoping we some how get the release of "The Captain Hates the Sea" out of this............

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Stooge fans should be sure to check out http://www.threestooges.net

It is a wonderful resource and forum about all things related to the Stooges including extremely detailed episode listings for each and every Stooge short, Stooge movie, and solo Stooge efforts. Exhaustive!

The forum is fairly active and includes good info.

There's currently a hilarious thread on the forum where fans write up satirical reviews of non-existent Stooge shorts.

Matthew H

Second Unit
I second this recommendation. I've been a member of the Forum there now close to 4 years, and it's by far the best Stooges website out on the net. Everyone there is super friendly, and a lot of the discussions are fun. If you're a Stooges fan you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I was thinking these chronological stooges dvd releases are the perfect oppurtunity , to include as an extra, the 80s music video "the curly shuffle "!!! Im pretty sure anybody that grew up in the 80s, knows what im talking about!!!!

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
I have received an advanced copy of the set, and I can answer the question everybody's been asking: is THREE LITTLE BEERS restored, with the footage that had been missing (a very funny gag with Curly playing Harpo) on the previous DVD release of this title? The answer is... *keeps everybody in suspense for a second* YES, the footage is back where it should be. I put a frame grab up at www.inthebalcony.com.

Matthew H

Second Unit
Excellent news! Thanks for the screen grab! I love your website! :)

I also read over st TS.net that A Pain In the Pullman is finally restored.. not the same print that's been circulating over the years.

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd W. Zimmerman
Well, I suppose that means one thing ...

The set is going right to the top of my Christmas list!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm glad to hear good news about this set, as I still had some doubt in the back of my head.

Does anybody know if this item is going to be pushed at any B&M stores? I really want to get this set, and I would prefer to stop in and pick it up, but you just never can tell when a set is going to be pushed or not. Even worse than that is pre-ordering a set and not receiving it for a few days after the release! AHHHHHHHHHH!!

Matthew H

Second Unit
I think it's possibly Wal-Mart will carry it. I'm almost positive Best Buy will have it, too.. but since I'm not 100% sure I might have to pre-order it online. I want it on the 30th, and I'm kind of inpatient when it comes to online companies shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks