SPHE Press Release: The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight: 1955-1959

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Moe, Larry, Shemp AND Joe are back one more time in…
    THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTIONVolume Eight: 1955 - 1959
    32 Digitally Remastered Shorts, Arranged Chronologically and Packaged in a Three-Disc DVD Set

EIGHTH VOLUME AVAILABLE ON DVD June 1st

[​IMG]

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (March 29, 2010)
    – One of the funniest movie comedy trios in history is back again when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment brings The Three Stooges: Volume Eight to DVD on June 1st. This eighth volume showcases the talents of the wacky slap-stick troupe, contains 32 digitally remastered shorts from 1955-1959 and includes both Shemp Howard and Joe Besser. (Besser, a long-time friend of Howard, replaced him after Howard’s death in 1955.) The Three Stooges: Volume Eight 1955-1959, now digitally remastered and looking better than ever, is packaged in a three-disc set and will be available, just in time for Father’s Day, for $24.96 SLP.

The Three Stooges left an indelible mark on 20th century screen comedy and inspired generations that succeeded them. Following their start in vaudeville, the trio began a film career in the early 1930s, reached their slapstick peak at Columbia Pictures (1934-1957) and lasted as a team well into the 1950s. After their initial retirement, they were rediscovered by an enthusiastic new generation through the medium of television, surpassing their contemporaries in lasting popularity. Volume Eight continues Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s long-running tribute to the comedic mastery of the Stooges by tracing the evolution and development of their craft in films in progressive order.
    The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight: 1955 – 1959
    Disc 1
    Bedlam in Paradise
    Blunder Boys
    Creeps
    Flagpole Jitters
    Gypped in the Penthouse
    Hot Ice
    Husbands Beware
    Of Cash and Hash
    Stone Age Romeos
    Fling in the Ring
    Wham-Bam-Slam!

Disc 2
    Commotion on the Ocean
    For Crimin' Out Loud
    Guns A Poppin!
    Hoofs and Goofs
    Horsing Around
    Hot Stuff
    A Merry Mix-Up
    Muscle Up a Little Closer
    Rumpus in the Harem
    Scheming Schemers
    Space Ship Sappy

Disc 3
    Outer Space Jitters
    Rusty Romeos
    Quiz Whizz
    Fifi Blows Her Top
    Pies and Guys
    Sweet and Hot
    Flying Saucer Daffy
    Oil's Well That Ends Well
    Triple Crossed
    Sappy Bullfighters

DVD Features Include:
    · Widescreen Presentations
    · Audio: English (Mono)

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight: 1955 – 1959 has a run time of approximately 380 minutes and is not rated. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.
    DVD Catalog # 34965
    UPC Code: 0-43396-34965-0
    Order Date:
    SLP: $24.96

[​IMG]

2. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine
    Running time is incorrect... the 32 shorts are > 500 minutes.

3. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

As listed here, there are Shemp films mixed in with Joe's, and the order is incorrect. I recall HOOFS AND GOOFS being the first Joe Besser short, not GUNS A POPPIN'. Not that this is catastrophic or anything, but Is this the running order as listed from the packaging?

Disc 2

SHEMP Commotion on the Ocean

SHEMP For Crimin' Out Loud

JOE Guns A Poppin!

JOE Hoofs and Goofs

JOE Horsing Around

SHEMP Hot Stuff

JOE A Merry Mix-Up

JOE Muscle Up a Little Closer

SHEMP Rumpus in the Harem

SHEMP Scheming Schemers

JOE Space Ship Sappy

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I noted that too, but if you look they seem to be ordered alphabetically (For the most part!). My guess is that this is purely the titles per disc and not necessarily the order they will appear in. (At Least I hope so)

5. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    As always, very good news to see another collection. Thanks Sony!!
    Many feared the Joe Besser's would never get released.

But I kept thinking this set will be a big seller. There are TONS of Stooge fans clamoring for these 16 Besser films. They are like "lost" episodes.
    Hope the series continues with the 6 Joe DeRita features.

6. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Good point about these being like lost episodes. I grew up watching the stooges on tv and had all the VHS releases. So when they released these complete sets I was surprised to find a couple Curly's I hadn't seen. There were about 10 Shemp's I had not seen and of the 16 Besser's I think I have only seen 4 or 5 of them so I'm looking forward to them. The Widscreen is a big plus as well.

7. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Thank you Sony for releasing this volume. And three discs this time around. :)

"Hope the series continues with the 6 Joe DeRita features."

Seconded.

8. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

+1

Snow White and the Three Stooges is owned by Fox and is currently available on DVD, but Sony has the rights to the other 5. Have Rocket Will Travel is the only one that has never been released on DVD whatsoever in R1, so maybe if that one comes out next, we'll get some news on whether or not the other 4 will be re-released. Of the currently released ones, Outlaws Is Coming is non-anamorphic.

9. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The review copy arrived today. To clarify, the order of the shorts is not as indicated in the press release. This is the actual order:

Disc 1

Fling in the Ring

Of Cash and Hash

Gypped in the Penthouse

Bedlam in Paradise

Stone Age Romeos

Wham-Bam-Slam!

Hot Ice

Blunder Boys

Husbands Beware

Creeps

Flagpole Jitters

Disc 2

For Crimin' Out Loud

Rumpus in the Harem

Hot Stuff

Scheming Schemers

Commotion on the Ocean

Hoofs and Goofs

Muscle Up a Little Closer

A Merry Mix-Up

Space Ship Sappy

Guns a Poppin!

Horsing Around

Disc 3

Rusty Romeos

Outer Space Jitters

Quiz Whizz

Fifi Blows Her Top

Pies and Guys

Sweet and Hot

Flying Saucer Daffy

Oil's Well That Ends Well

Triple Crossed

Sappy Bullfighters

I believe that this is the first DVD release for all of these shorts, unless some of them showed up in public domain issues. "Rumpus in the Harem" was included in the laser disc box set THE THREE STOOGES COMEDY COLLECTION. I also taped a few of them when American Movie Classics was airing the Stooges shorts ten years ago.

I haven't had a chance to look at this new set yet, but I plan to at least preview it this evening.

10. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

They are in the proper order thankfully.

So,which ones are wdisecreen/letterboxed?

11. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

It'd be great if Sony would also bring out The Captain Hates The Sea, Start Cheering, Time Out for Rhythm, and Rockin' in the Rockies. For the Stooges completists, WB should bring out Turn Back the Clock, Fugitive Lovers, Hollywood Party, and Swing Parade of 1946.

12. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

The Stooges are only in a couple of Scenes in "The Captain Hates The Sea" and "Star Cheering". However. they do make a more substantal apperance in "Time out for Rhythm" and "Rockin' in The Rockies".

As for the other titles, "Turn Back The Clock" and "Hollywood Party" are also only a couple of scenes, but un "Fugitive Lovers" they have a longer apperance. "Swing Parade on 1946" is in the public domian and has had a few releases - I doubt WB would put it out beyond the archive.

13. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher

So far, all are anamorphic widescreen.I'll get through all of them in the next day or two.

14. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker Screenwriter

Attention! Costco (or at least the one here in Huntsville) has broken the release date on Volume 8. All eight volumes are available for $16.99 each.

15. Robert13

Robert13 Supporting Actor

Robert
    I got my copy!!! I went right into "Flying Saucer Daffy" (one of my all-time faves) and it looked fantastic! I also watched "Oils Well" and "Fifi Blows Her Top". Really a terrific set and such a great way to end the collection. I can't believe the entire series is out on dvd. I will definitely enjoy watching these. :)

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I got mine this morning. It's great to have every Stooge short on DVD. Great job, Sony!

17. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I hadn't bought any of the Stooges box sets, but these posts had me salivating and I'd just seen them at Costco, so I went in this morning to get some -- only to be disappointed to find them priced at $16.99 -- since Amazon has Volume 8 at the same price and the earlier sets at $15.99 each. But I couldn't wait to get a couple to start enjoying right away, so I bought Vol. 8 and an earlier one to savor this evening. Later, glancing over my receipt for everything I'd purchased, I was pleasantly shocked to find $4.00 taken off each of the Stooges sets. So, $12.99 plus tax? Sold! Went right back over and completed the collection. I need to read through those coupon books a little more carefully.

18. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    This is a non-coupon special at Costco. All 8 volumes are $12.99 thanks to "manufacturer rebates".

I was so happy when they broke the street date for Vol 8 but now I wish they wouldn't have b/c I would have saved 4 bucks :)

At this price, one is able to own all 190 shorts for just over $100. That is an absolute bargain given the care that has gone into these releases. The Stooges aren't my favorite vintage comic team (L&H and A&C are ahead of them) but I've had a lot of fun watching these.

Mike S - if you're reading this, mega kudos to your colleagues at Sony!

19. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Just thought I'd mention that last night I was watching the first short, FLING IN THE RING, and I could tell that -- during the "old stock footage" from 1947's FRIGHT NIGHT -- the bottom of the screen has information cut out. Don't misunderstand me; I'm not complaing (these sets are great!) but it was just an observation. I'm guessing this is because the "new" 1950s footage was shot for 1.85, so when they had to incorporate the older 1947 stuff, some of the image would naturally be missing. Not saying it ruins the experience, but you can see it most noticeably in the early sequence where Shemp is sparring in the ring and gets knocked upside-down standing in the corner on his head (heh heh -- that's funny just writing it!). Shemp's head is not in the bottom of the frame, where it was in the 1.33 version.

It's all good, just saying...

20. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Joe,

I can't believe you're complaining about this set.

Just kidding. That's really informative. Thanks. I really need to get volume eight today. Walmart had better have it in stock. Every Friday night (a night we refer to as 'family night' in our home), we watch at least two or three shorts before we move on to a longer feature film of some kind. It would be wonderful to watch some from this newest set this evening.