SPHE Press Release: Southland Tales

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    "Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson is perfection!"
    -Harry Knowles, AintItCool.com

“Fascinating and Extraordinary!”
    -Jette Kernion, Cinematical

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Seann William Scott, Mandy
    Moore and Justin Timberlake Star in Richard Kelly’s Futuristic Thriller

SOUTHLAND TALES

On DVD March 18, 2008

Culver City, CA (1/7/08) – From acclaimed writer/director Richard Kelly, the visionary creator behind the modern classic Donnie Darko, comes another exercise in mind-bending cool with SOUTHLAND TALES, available on DVD March 18, 2008 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment with bonus materials that include a making-of featurette and animated short. The film is a dark comedy about the absurdities of political extremes that bring about the end of the world. Featuring an all-star ensemble cast including Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (The Scorpion King, Walking Tall) Sarah Michelle Gellar (The Grudge, TV’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Seann William Scott (The Rundown, American Pie), Mandy Moore (A Walk To Remember, Saved!) and Justin Timberlake (Alpha Dog, Black Snake Moan), SOUTHLAND TALES will be available for the SRP of $24.96.

Hailed as a “gloriously sprawling spectacle!” (J. Hoberman, Village Voice) and “funny, audacious, and feverishly inspired” (Manohla Dargis, New York Times), the film also stars Miranda Richardson (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), Cheri Oteri (TV’s Saturday Night Live) and Jon Lovitz (The Producers).
    The making-of featurette “USIDent TV: Surveilling the Southland,” peels back the curtain to reveal secrets and revelations from this epic story of a world on the brink of collapse, featuring interviews with Richard Kelly and the cast. Audiences will also get a chance to expand the film’s unique experience with the never-before-seen animated short, “This is the Way the World Ends,” written and directed by Kelly.

Synopsis
    The city stands on the edge of social, economic and environmental disaster. SOUTHLAND TALES is an epic story set over the course of three days that culminate in a massive 4th of July celebration. A large ensemble cast of characters includes Boxer Santaros (Johnson), an action star stricken with amnesia, Krysta Now (Gellar), an adult film star developing her own reality television project, and Roland Taverner (Scott), a Hermosa Beach police officer who holds the key to a vast conspiracy.

Written and directed by Richard Kelly, produced by Sean McKittrick (Donnie Darko), Oliver Hengst (First Snow) Katarina Hyde and Bill Johnson (Just Friends).

Bonus Material
    “USIDent TV: Surveilling the Southland” Featurette
    “This Is the Way the World Ends” Animated Short

DVD Catalog #: 18283
    DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-18283-7
    DVD SLP: $24.96
    Order Date: 2/14/08

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I was surprised to see this release, thinking the film would go wide at some point. Apparently not.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah. Plenty of great movies never get a release (not that you're implying differently) but if Southland Tales couldn't at least ride Donnie Darko's coattails to a bigger release then I'm not real hopeful for it being a particularly good movie.

4. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Naturally, they are going to wait to announce the original, 3-hour Cannes cut of the film until we've all bought this. I pass. If it does well enough to get a deluxe version with Kelly's director's cut, I'll check this out, but this release is just your typical double-dip in the making.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

My hopes are not high.

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

;

7. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

ST got a 10 day "Limited" release. I must have blinked -or it never came to Seattle;
    Limited then probably means NY LA Chi SF DC

Cost $18 million (over the line)
    has made back roughly $1 million theatrically.

It was 'ready' for release in June 2006, but didnt show until late Nov 2007;

Probably why SONY is on life support these days-too many of these kind of these pictures under their belt.
    And since few have heard of the film-DVD sales may lag.

8. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    Actually it was not ready for release in 2006 but he took what was basically a work print to Cannes. I think Kelly is a very interesting filmmaker but his ideas are often larger than the film he is making. If you look at the two cuts of Donnie Darko they are very different and the first cut was the better cut in my opinion. Mainly because it left more to the imagination and had a better flow. I have not seen Southland Tales yet but the reviews seem fairly 'love it' or 'hate it' which seems to indicate there is something good there. It is a very big and ambitious project with the three graphic novels setting the stage for the film. I think this means he never meant this film to reach a wide audience and therefore the reaction to it makes sense.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

No Blu-ray release? I'm not saying this is a particularly good movie - it's a mess, actually - but half its appeal is "looking and sounding amazing".