SPHE Press Release: Not Just The Best Of The Larry Sanders Show

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    With More Than 8 Hours of Newly-Produced Material
    Including Garry Shandling in Personal and Intimate Meetings With Stars Like Alec Baldwin, Tom Petty, Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart, and More,
    This DVD is …

NOT JUST THE BEST OF
    THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW

The DVD Set Also Includes 23 Classic Episodes of the Emmy Award-Winning TV Program, the Documentary – “The Making of The Larry Sanders Show” - and Features Guest Appearances by

Jason Alexander, Warren Beatty, Jim Carrey, Ellen DeGeneres,
    Sean Penn, Vince Vaughn and More

The Four-Disc DVD Collection Debuts on April 17

Culver City, Ca (February 5, 2007) – Forget about the 23 featured episodes of the Emmy Award®-winning “The Larry Sanders Show” (it received a whopping 56 Emmy nominations during its run on HBO). NOT JUST THE BEST OF THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW contains more than eight hours of newly produced material that makes this not just your usual DVD – not even close! The four-disc DVD boxed set debuts on DVD on April 17 at the suggested retail price of $49.95. This innovative, provocative and hugely entertaining release includes personal, intimate, indulgent visits meant until now for only Garry Shandling to see – raw, real-life situations between Shandling and stars who appear in the featured episodes – including Alec Baldwin, Tom Petty, Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart, Sharon Stone and many others. These unrehearsed visits surpass even the Larry Sanders reality, as they once again explore the core ingredients of the ground-breaking program – unexpected human behavior, truth and humor.

The DVD includes the documentary, The Making of The Larry Sanders Show, which reveals an in-depth and surprising look at the process of turning a script into a show that was ahead of its time. The Los Angeles Times selected Garry Shandling’s series as one of ten TV programs that had ‘inarguable influence’ on the industry and this DVD is a celebration of the series’ unique place in entertainment lore. NOT JUST THE BEST OF THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW also features guest appearances on the featured episodes by a wide slate of stars which includes Jim Carrey, Vince Vaughn, Warren Beatty, Sean Penn, Ellen DeGeneres, Jason Alexander, Carol Burnett and Winona Ryder. The featurette “Rip Torn and Jeffrey Tambor Visit Garry Shandling in His Living Room” is a reunion of Shandling, Torn and Tambor discussing working together on the show. Also included are interview featurettes with cast members Penny Johnson, Wallace Langham, Scott Thompson, Janeane Garofalo, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Sarah Silverman, Jeremy Piven, Bob Odenkirk, and Linda Doucett.

The Larry Sanders Show debuted on HBO August 1, 1992, and was ahead of its time, becoming an immediate critical and audience hit for its satirical, tongue-in-cheek look at Hollywood. The series that combined documentary-like camerawork with a clever blend of fact and fiction set the standard of quality for HBO and influenced the development of shows like Sex and the City, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and The Office.Over the course of its six-year, 89-episode run, the series was nominated for 56 Emmy Awards [winning three: Outstanding Writing (Shandling & Peter Tolan); Outstanding Directing (Todd Holland); Outstanding Supporting Actor (Rip Torn)]. The show also won three Golden Globe® nominations, two Peabody Awards, and five CableACE Awards for Best Comedy Series.

Not Just the Best of The Larry Sanders Show episodes include:

What Have You Done for Me Lately?
    The Spider Episode
    The Hey Now Episode
    The List
    The Hankerciser 200
    Life Behind Larry
    The Mr. Sharon Stone Show
    Hank’s Night in the Sun
    Office Romance
    Hank’s Divorce
    Hank’s Sex Tape
    I Was a Teenage Lesbian
    Larry’s New Love
    Everybody Loves Larry
    My Name Is Asher Kingsley
    Ellen, or Isn’t She?
    Pilots and Pens Lost
    Another List
    The Beginning of the End
    Adolph Hankler
    The Interview
    Putting the ‘Gay’ Back in Litigation
    Flip (1-hour)

DVD Special Features Include:

• Documentary: The Making of The Larry Sanders Show
    • Featurette: Trio
    • Exclusive Interviews: Personal, Intimate, Indulgent Meetings With My Friends That Are Meant Only for Me to See – Interviews with:

1.Alec Baldwin
    2.Ellen DeGeneres
    3.David Duchovny
    4.Tom Petty
    5.Jerry Seinfeld
    6.Sharon Stone
    7.Jon Stewart
    8.Carol Burnett

• Featurette: Interview with Penny Johnson
    • Featurette: Interview with Wallace Langham
    • Featurette: Interview with Scott Thompson
    • Featurette: Interview with Janeane Garofalo
    • Featurette: Interview with Mary Lynn Rajskub
    • Featurette: Interview with Sarah Silverman
    • Featurette: Interview with Jeremy Piven
    • Featurette: Interview with Bob Odenkirk
    • Featurette: Interview with Linda Doucett
    • Deleted and Extended Scenes
    • Alternate Takes
    • Audio Commentary and Documentary Introduction on What Have You Done for Me Lately with Garry Shandling and Peter Tolan
    • Audio Commentary and Documentary Introduction on Hank’s Night in the Sun with Garry Shandling and Todd Holland
    • Audio Commentary and Documentary Introduction on Putting the ‘Gay’ Back in Litigation with Garry Shandling and Judd Apatow
    • Audio Commentary on Flip with Garry Shandling and Peter Tolan
    • Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
    • Full Screen Presentations
    • Audio: English (Dolby Surround)
    • Subtitles: Spanish
    • Closed Captioned

Broadcast Years: 1992 – 1998

2. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

The cover image over at TV Shows on DVD says it all. Larry Sanders, hanging his head low in shame that it's not a full season set ... HAHAHAHAHA ... you would think that the studio would choose a different image.

3. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MTFDB0?...&link_code=as3

Features look pretty impressive (when not expecting anything) :

Documentary: The Making of The Larry Sanders Show
    Featurette: Trio
    Exclusive Interviews: Personal, Intimate, Indulgent Meetings With My Friends That Are Meant Only for Me to See
    Featurette: Interview with Penny Johnson
    Featurette: Interview with Wallace Langham
    Featurette: Interview with Scott Thompson
    Featurette: Interview with Janeane Garofalo
    Featurette: Interview with Mary Lynn Rajskub
    Featurette: Interview with Sarah Silverman
    Featurette: Interview with Jeremy Piven
    Featurette: Interview with Bob Odenkirk
    Featurette: Interview with Linda Doucett
    Deleted and Extended Scenes
    Alternate Takes
    Audio Commentary and Documentary Introduction on What Have You Done for Me Lately with Garry Shandling and Peter Tolan
    Audio Commentary and Documentary Introduction on Hank’s Night in the Sun with Garry Shandling and Todd Holland
    Audio Commentary and Documentary Introduction on Putting the ‘Gay’ Back in Litigation with Garry Shandling and Judd Apatow
    Audio Commentary on Flip with Garry Shandling and Peter Tolan
    Digitally Remastered Audio and Video

But this set contain only the "best of" the series. IMHO season 3-6 have brilliance written all over them. (First two are very very good)
    Every episode makes me laugh out loud and they always end with a great pun.

Please Columbia! I want to replace my xvids with good dvds season per season, not this "best of".

Anyone else upset about this?

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Blame Gary Shandling.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul