SPHE Press Release: Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    “Don’t dare miss it!”
    Pete Hammond, Maxim

“Two thumbs up!”
    Ebert & Roeper

Academy Award® and Golden Globe® Nominee for Best Foreign Film

JOYEUX NOEL (MERRY CHRISTMAS)

Available on DVD November 14, 2006!

Culver City, CA (September 5, 2006) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is pleased to announce the DVD debut of the 2005 Best Foreign Film Academy Award® nominee Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) on November 14, 2006. This moving film, inspired by a true story, features Diane Kruger (Troy, National Treasure) Daniel Bruhl (Ladies in Lavender, Goodbye Lenin) and Benno Furmann (The Order, My House in Umbria) and will be available for an SLP of $26.96.

Christmas Eve, 1914. On a World War I battlefield, the true story of a momentous event that changed the lives of soldiers from France, Germany, and England; Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) has received rave reviews from critics. Rex Reed, in the New York Observer, declared, “it has the power to move whole nations to tears” and Kelly Borgeson in Premiere Magazine stated, “its message is timeless.” In addition to the
    Academy Award® nomination, Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) was also nominated for BAFTA and Golden Globe awards.

Synopsis

Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) is based on a true story, which happened on Christmas Eve 1914 during the First World War. When a German tenor-turned-soldier and his partner, a beautiful Dutch soprano, brave the front lines to bring Christmas music to the troops, their songs are heard by enemy French and English forces in nearby trenches. Touched by the familiar melodies and emboldened by loneliness, the soldiers declare a momentary truce and come forward to greet each other. They spend a memorable evening – exchanging stories, chocolates and cigarettes. The truce gives them the opportunity to bury their dead, play a game of soccer and celebrate a Christmas Mass together. The next morning, they will once again be enemies but with a much greater understanding of the men they are fighting.

Added Value:

ž Audio commentary with Writer/Director Christian Carion
    ž Interview with Director Christian Carion

DVD Catalog #:

DVD UPC Code:
    0-43396-15099-7

DVD Order Date:

10/12/06
    DVD SLP:
    $26.96

Running Time
    116 minutes
    Rating
    PG-13 for some war violence and a brief scene of sexuality/nudity

2. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Very good news. I really enjoyed this film last February, and I look forward to seeing it again.