SPHE Press Release: Godzilla (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Director Roland Emmerich’s Action-Packed Modernization of a Sci-Fi Institution

Thunders onto Blu-ray Disc™

GODZILLA

On Blu-ray™ High Def November 10th
    With Special Features Including movieIQ, Trivia Game, cinechat,
    And a Sneak Peek at Emmerich’s 2012!!

Culver City, Calif. (August 31, 2009) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment introduces a behemoth of a Blu-ray Disc with the November 10, 2009 release of Godzilla for the SLP of $24.95. Co-written and directed by premiere action auteur Roland Emmerich (Day After Tomorrow, 2012), this modern-day take on the colossus creature wowed audiences during the theatrical release and is set to evoke roars of delight when seen in high definition. Mathew Broderick (Election, The Producers), Jean Reno (The Pink Panther 1&2), Hank Azaria (Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian), Michael Lerner (Love and Other Disasters) and Harry Shearer (This is Spinal Tap) make up a cast of New Yorkers looking on with fear and foreboding as the reckless reptile lays siege on their city.

The monster Blu-ray is stacked with special features including movieIQ, a multiplayer trivia game and cinechat. Godzilla fans have the opportunity to test their skills against other experts via the BD-Live™ enabled multiplayer trivia game. Godzilla first-timers can get up to speed quickly by accessing movieIQ which will provide them with information on the production and players involved with the film. And all can share their knowledge, new or time-tested, with viewers around the globe with cinechat. Additional features include commentary, short films, featurettes and a sneak peek at the highly anticipated epic 2012

Godzilla
    Synopsis

Godzilla was directed by Rolland Emmerich (The Day After Tomorrow) who co-wrote the film with Ted Elliot (National Treasure: Book of Secrets), Terry Rossio (National Treasure: Book of Secrets) and Dean Devlin (The Patriot); Emmerich and Devlin also served as producers. Additional producers include Ute Emmerich (The Day After Tomorrow), William Fay (Eight Legged Freaks) who executive produced; Robert N. Fried (Rudy) and Cary Woods (Gummo) who were co-executive producers and Kelly Van Horn (TV’s “Dirty Sexy Money”) and Peter Winther (The Patriot) who were co-producers. This film stars Mathew Broderick (Election, The Producers), Jean Reno (The Pink Panther 1&2), Hank Azaria (Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian), Michael Lerner (Barton Fink), Harry Shearer (This is Spinal Tap) as well as Maria Pitillo (TV’s “Providence”), Kevin Dunn (TV’s “Samantha Who”) and Arabella Field (Paper Man).

Exclusive to Blu-ray Special Features Include:
    · The Ultimate Godzilla® Multi-Player Trivia Game: Match your skills against others around the world and see if you have what it takes to become the king of the monsters
    · movieIQ: BD-Live Connects You to movieIQ! Access real-time information on the cast, trivia and more while watching the movie
    · cinechat: Send on-screen instant messages to your friends around the world while you watch the movie together
    · Sneak peek at 2012
    · Includes Digital Copy

Additional Blu-ray Special Features Include:
    · Commentary with Visual Effects Supervisor Volker Engel and Associate Visual Effects Supervisor Karen Goulekas
    · Two Featurettes
    o Behind-the-Scenes of Godzilla with Charles Caiman
    o All Time Best-of Godzilla Fight Scenes
    · Three Short Films
    o What Dreams May Come
    o Monster Wars Part 1
    o Where is Thy Sting
    · Photo Gallery
    o Godzilla Takes New York
    o Production Art
    o Publicity Stills
    · Music Video of “Heroes” by The Wallflowers

Godzilla was directed by Roland Emmerich (The Day After Tomorrow) who co-wrote the film with Ted Elliot (National Treasure: Book of Secrets), Terry Rossio (National Treasure: Book of Secrets) and Dean Devlin (The Patriot); Emmerich and Devlin also served as producers. Additional producers include Ute Emmerich (The Day After Tomorrow), William Fay (Eight Legged Freaks) who executive produced; Robert N. Fried (Rudy) and Cary Woods (Gummo) who were co-executive producers and Kelly Van Horn (TV’s “Dirty Sexy Money”) and Peter Winther (The Patriot) who were co-producers. This film stars Mathew Broderick (Election, The Producers), Jean Reno (The Pink Panther 1&2), Hank Azaria (Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian), Michael Lerner (Barton Fink), Harry Shearer (This is Spinal Tap) as well as Maria Pitillo (TV’s “Providence”), Kevin Dunn (TV’s “Samantha Who”) and Arabella Field (Paper Man).

Godzilla has a run time of 139 minutes and is rated PG-13 Rated for sci-fi monster action and violence. Artwork and digital clips are available for download at www.sphepublicitycom. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

Godzilla

Catalog #: 19039

UPC Code: 043396190399

Order Date: 11/10/09

SLP: $24.95

The Blu-ray Disc version of Godzilla is BD-Live enabled, allowing users to get connected and go beyond the disc via an Internet-connected Blu-ray player. BD-Live provides the opportunity to view exclusive content, register for Blu-ray Club rewards, provide feedback through our survey and experience interactive special features.

The Sony Pictures Blu-ray Club rewards consumers in the U.S. for purchasing and registering BD-Live enabled Sony Blu-ray movies. Members can redeem accumulated points for cool Sony products, plus enter to win cash and prizes in daily sweepstakes and more. For details visit www.sonyrewards.com/bluray.

2. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

Back in 2007 when this was originally supposed to be released, producer Dean Devlin talked with "Hollywood In Hi-Def" about his films hitting the Blu-ray format, and his comments on Godzilla were very interesting:

Here's a quote from Devlin regarding Godzilla specifically:

Very honest comments and they give high hopes for a great presentation.

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Supporting Actor

First SD DVD I ever purchased was Godzilla. I'll probably buy this even though I haven't seen it in years. It has a nice price and looks loaded with features. Plus, I like Devlin's comments about it looking like it should have to begin with.

4. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

It's funny that Jean Reno is practically the best thing about this movie. I used to own the DVD too.

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Weird that they call three episodes of an animated series "short films".

Gotta admit I always enjoyed this version of "Godzilla". It's got lots and lots of flaws, but dammit, it's fun. I look forward to the Blu-ray...

6. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Bad movie - great fun..looking forward to this on Blu!

7. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Can't wait to add this to my sci-fi/horror collection in BD!

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'll never forget sitting in a theater before this film was released and watching the trailers.

Without knowing what was going on, they showed the entire scene from the film of the old man walking down the pier and throwing his fishing line in the water and making his "big catch."

I'll always remember thinking afterwards...this is one film I've GOT to see!

9. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

The teasers for this film were much better than the actual film itself. This one, with the old man was actually in the movie. The other one, with a class having a tour in a museum and a T-Rex skeleton getting trampled by Godzilla's foot, was brilliant as well. Not a very subtle jab at the Jurassic Park movies, but they were great for getting interest in the movie. Too bad that wasn't as good.

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Me too I was so hyped to see that movie so it worked, but then I saw the movie.

I was fine with all the stupid stuff going on especially in MSG but then the way they killed Godzilla or tortured
    it by trapping it in the wires of the bridge was just too far for me, I didn't like that one bit.

I won'r buy this on blu ut i'll rent it to see what it looks like.

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    And the worst thing about the film was the female lead. She (don't remember her name) was terrible.

So what are they going to do different when putting this on blu-ray? Will the print the film with the 3-strip method and than transfer to blu? I don't recall there was any problem with effects either in the theater or on the DVD. I thought they were pretty good.