Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein

Two-Time Academy Award®-Winner Sally Field
    in the Two TV Series That Launched Her Career ~ on DVD March 21

Culver City, CA (January 9, 2006) – You’ll like her … you’ll really, REALLY like her in the two delightful TV series that launched Sally Field’s stellar career -- Gidget: The Complete Series and The Flying Nun: The Complete First Season -- when they debut on DVD March 21 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Both series are available in four-disc sets featuring exclusive new interviews with the two-time Academy Award®-winner. Each set is priced at $39.95 SLP.

Gidget: The Complete Series

Surf’s up … and Gidget: The Complete Series has all the sand, surf, fun and boys needed for a charming series. Based on the Frederick Kohner novel and a 1959 film starring Sandra Dee, Gidget (slang for girl-midget) debuted on September 15, 1965, for a 32-episode run. Sally Field plays the perky 15-year-old Southern California girl who loves to surf and longs for romance. Along with her best friend Larue (Lynette Winter), Gidget’s youthful enthusiasm often triumphs over the conventional wisdom of the adults in her life, making the series a fun-filled frolic on California’s beaches. Gidget’s widower dad (Don Porter) always does his best while facing the challenges of raising a fun-loving teenager. Guest stars include Richard Dreyfuss (Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind), Barbara Hershey (Beaches), Paul Lynde (TV’s “Bewitched”), Bonnie Franklin (TV’s “One Day at a Time”), Harvey Korman (TV’s “The Carol Burnett Show”), Martin Milner (TV’s “Adam-12”) and Judy Carne (TV’s “Laugh In”).

Gidget: The Complete Series DVD Special Features:

Digitally Remastered Audio and High Definition Video
    Full Screen Presentations
    Audio: English
    Bonus Featurette: A Look Back at Gidget, featuring Sally Field
    Bonus Previews
    Closed Captioned

Gidget: The Complete Series Episodes

Dear Diary - Et Al
    In God, and Nobody Else, We Trust
    The Great Kahuna
    Daddy Come Home
    Gidget Gadget
    A Hearse, a Hearse, My Kingdom for a Hearse
    Gidget Is a Proper Noun
    Image Scrimmage
    Is It Love or Symbiosis
    All the Best Diseases Are Taken
    My Ever Faithful Friend
    Chivalry Isn't Dead
    The War Between Men, Women and Gidget
    Gidget's Foreign Policy
    Now There's a Face
    Too Many Cooks
    I Love You, I Love You, I Love You, I Think
    Like Voodoo
    Gidget's Career
    In and Out with the In-Laws
    We Got Each Other
    Operation Shaggy Dog
    Love and the Single Gidget
    Take a Lesson
    Independence - Gidget Style
    One More for the Road
    Ask Helpful Hannah
    A Hard Night's Night
    I Have This Friend Who...
    Don't Defrost the Alligator

The Flying Nun: The Complete First Season

Anything can happen when The Flying Nun: The Complete First Season takes flight. After its debut on September 7, 1967, the show took its place alongside “Bewitched” and “I Dream of Jeannie” as one of the most fondly remembered series of the 1960s. Sally Field plays bubbly novice nun Sister Bertrille, who arrives at Convent San Tanco in Puerto Rico, where the constant swirling winds give her the power to fly. That sight is greeted with alarm by the strict Mother Superior (Madeleine Sherwood) and with curiosity and amusement by her fellow nuns -- Sister Jacqueline (Marge Redmond), Sister Bertrille's mentor, and Sister Sixto (Shelly Morrison from TV’s “Will & Grace”), a nun who continually fights a losing battle with the English language. While at the convent, Sister Bertrille also makes an unlikely friend in Carlos Ramirez (Alejandro Ray), a wealthy playboy bachelor who was raised by the nuns as a young orphan. Guest stars in the first season include Dabney Coleman (WarGames), John Astin (TV’s “The Addams Family”), Jamie Farr (TV’s “M*A*S*H”), Elinor Donahue (TV’s “Father Knows Best”) and celebrity impressionist Rich Little.

The Flying Nun: The Complete First Season DVD Special Features Include:

Digitally Remastered Audio and High Definition Video
    Full Screen Presentations
    Audio: English, Spanish, Portuguese
    Subtitles: Portuguese
    Bonus Featurette: A Look Back at The Flying Nun, featuring Sally Field
    Bonus Previews
    Closed Captioned

The Flying Nun: The Complete First Season Episodes

The Flying Nun
    The Convert
    Old Cars for New
    A Bell for San Tanco
    The Fatal Hibiscus
    Flight of the Dodo Bird
    Polly Wants a Crack in the Head
    Ah Love, Could You and I Conspire
    Days of Nuns and Roses
    With Love from Irving
    It's an Ill Wind
    Young Man With a Cornette
    The Patron of Santa Thomasina
    If You Want to Fly, Keep Your Cornette Dry
    The Dig In
    Wailing in Winter Wonderland
    With a Friend Like Him
    Tonio's Mother
    A Fish Story
    The Hot Spell
    My Sister, the Sister
    Sister Lucky
    Sister & the Old Salt
    Cyrano de Bertrille
    Reconversion of Sister Shapiro
    Where There's a Will
    Puce Alert
    May the Wind Be Always at Your Back
    Love Me, Love My Dog
    You Can't Get There from Here

Sally Field

After getting her start in episodic TV, Sally Field gained critical attention for her tour-de-force performance as a woman with multiple personalities in the TV miniseries “Sybil” (1976), which garnered her an Outstanding Lead Actress Emmy® Award. She soon made the difficult transition to feature films, first co-starring opposite Burt Reynolds in the hugely popular Smokey and the Bandit (1977) and its hit sequel (1980), as well as Hooper and The End (both 1978), before winning the Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of union organizer Norma Rae (1979). She won her second Academy Award for her stirring performance as a depression-era widow trying to keep her family together in Places in the Heart (1984). Other notable films include Steel Magnolias (1989), Soapdish (1991), Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), Forrest Gump (1994) and Legally Blonde: Red, White and Blonde (2001). In 2001, she also won an Emmy as Outstanding Guest Actress for her recurring role on TV’s long-running hit “ER.” Field will be back on the big screen this year in the feature film Two Weeks.

Gidget: The Complete Series has a run time of approximately 804 minutes and is not rated.

The Flying Nun: The Complete First Season has a run time of approximately 617 minutes and is not rated. Artwork for both releases is available at www.sphepublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

Gidget: The Complete Series
    DVD Catalog # 12925
    UPC Code: 0-43396-12925-2
    Order Date: 2/16/06
    SLP: $39.95
    The Flying Nun: The Complete First Season
    DVD Catalog # 12112
    UPC Code: 0-43396-12112-6
    Order Date: 2/16/06
    SLP: $39.95
  2. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Sep 26, 1999
    YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!! I love Gidget. Watched it as a kid and reruns early last year on TVLand. It's abbout time! Can't wait. [​IMG]