What's new

SPHE Press Release: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniv. (DVD,BLU-RAY) (1 Viewer)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
We certainly weren't searching for any kind of special meaning to the scene, when we were watching it back then it just seemed like that might be an explanation to what we were seeing.

I guess it was because of the way he acted when he got onboard the ship, he was rather calm when he first entered the ship, then all of sudden when those lights began to move inside the ship he starting like hyperventilating as though something were happening to him. It gave us the impression that some mechanism on the ship might be affecting him somehow. Then, right after that, we see this last lone alien come out to communicate with the men around the ship, and he's quite a bit taller than the short aliens, but much shorter than the really tall one. So it seemed as though that might be Roy, after whatever seemed to be happening to him on the ship had been completed. Obviously there was no way to be sure, but it was the guess we made at that time.

As far as why he would be changed when all those other people who were returned to Earth from the alien ship were just like they had always been when they were taken, I had an idea about that at the time. I was thinking that because of the extreme draw he had to that place where the aliens were going to arrive, which seemed to be particularly intense in his case, and the fact that he of all those people was chosen to go on a trip with the aliens, that perhaps this was considered a special case. Where this human would stay with them for a very long time, maybe even permanently as an emissary of sorts, and as a result this alteration of his physical makeup was deemed a good idea by the aliens. Or something like that. Anyhow, that was the line of reasoning, more or less.

But perhaps it was just the order of events that could give that misleading impression. I suppose at some point Spielberg would have said that was what happened to Roy, if it were true, so I guess it isn't true. He just got on the ship and was waiting for the ship to take off when that last alien came out to say farewell to the men on the ground before they left on their space trip. In any case, it was cool to get to see inside the alien ship a little before Roy left with them. :) I suppose he was brought back a few years later like the other humans who had been brought back after they had been with the aliens for some time. I wonder what he'd have to say about his journey with the aliens soaring through space when he got back. It would be very interesting to hear his report. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to contact Sony today. I'll suggest to them that everyone
(including myself) prefers the original poster artwork.

I don't expect them to listen, but it never hurts to try.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
My, my, my, VERY tempting indeed! I have the 2 disc set, so I think I'll have to stay satisfied for a little while longer while I continue to wait for one hd format. Knowing my luck by that time the disc will be out of print and selling on ebay for $300.00!

Question: On the sd dvd, is the original cut on a separate disc with the other two versions on a second disc?

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
Most likely all three versions on the same disc, because the excellent
feature-length documentary is included on the release.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The Neary into Alien theory is (no offense) daft. The scene with the alien at the end has always been there, since 1977, way before the SE where Columbia insisted for that bad "inside the ship" scene. Glad it was taken back out.
And of Neary really had been turned into an alien, why would he come out and just do the hand signals...? Wouldn't he have tried to communicate to Lacombe that it was him...?!?!?
That theory is just hella silly...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What was funny about the Neary turns into an alien thread we had here a few years ago is the amount of people who suddenly agreed and were like "oh yes it all makes sense now" and "come to think of it that alien does look a bit like Richard Dreyfuss if you look carefully" and my favorite "if you go frame by frame you can actually see the transformation taking place". :D

Close Encounters is one of my favorite movies, in my top 3 Spielbergs. And I'm so glad the original 1977 theatrical version is coming out on dvd too. :emoji_thumbsup:

ErichH

Screenwriter

The new Blade Runner (Dec18) is my tipper, but CE will probably be owned when it comes.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Felix,

I wanted to get back to you and give you some GREAT news!

I think our suggestion to Sony worked!

I contacted Sony weeks ago and asked them to consider using the
original poster artwork for their packaging.

Was very disappointed by their awful cover that they released
shortly afterwards.

However, Sony has now gone and revised that artwork,
going back to the original poster artwork as we requested -- at
least, this is the case for the Blu-Ray release.

images_ce.jpg

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
It's a step in the right direction, for sure, but was that modern looking lens flare always there?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I watched this recently after not seeing it for years.

And I still love the look of the film. They just dont make movies that look like this anymore.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
That cover is great! I always hated the idea of showing the mothership on the box. Sony does produce many abominations for covers, but this isn't going to be one of them.

Looks like this goes on my wishlist for when I finally add blu to HD DVD!

JulianK

Supporting Actor

The lens flare is new (or, at least, it wasn't there originally).

The artwork's been flopped, too.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
The original movie artwork looks fantastic! I sure hope the DVD set has the same artwork on the cover. Thanks to the studio folks for listening to the fans on this one. :)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Yes, that's a much better choice.

Of course, they couldn't stop themselves from adding a lens flare. And someone pointed out the artwork is flopped from the original poster. ;)

MatthewHA

Grip
The 30th Anniversary set for CETK are out at Costco where I live (Salt Lake City). I just bought one for $25. Did someone put them out too early?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yup. Street date is next Tuesday...

Got my copy today. Some info:

-Three versions on three separate DVDs - no branching.

-No deleted scenes from the 2001 DVD! :frowning:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Strange. I have occaisonally seen things out before street at Costco that I have tried to buy but was always unsuccessful (the items won't scan if it's before street date) Anybody watched theirs yet. Is the theatrical cut the true theatrical cut, or does it have the minor changes that appeared on the Criterion LD

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, the deleted scenes on the 2001 dvd were all in the original 77 film so they should all be there on that version.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks