SPHE Press Release: Air Force One -and- GLORY (Blu-Ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 4, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Celebrates
    Heroism and the Fight for Freedom with High Definition Releases

AIR FORCE ONE
    AND
    GLORY

Includes e-Movie Cash for The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 via BD-Live[1]

On Blu-ray Disc™ June 2nd

Culver City, CA (May 4, 2009) – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment re-lives two heart-pounding tales of American heroism and bravery with Oscar®-nominated Air Force One (Best Editing and Best Sound, 1998) and Oscar®-winner Glory (Best Cinematography and Best Sound, 1989) arriving on high definition Blu-ray™ June 2, 2009 for the SLP of $28.95 each. Each Blu-ray includes e-Movie Cash via BD-Live for the new movie The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, in theaters 6/12/09. In Air Force One Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones) stars as President James Marshall who finds himself in the precarious situation of holding the fate of his family and the entire nation in his hands when Russian terrorists hijack the presidential plane. Glory stars Matthew Broderick (The Producers) as the brave commanding officer of the first all black regiment during the American Civil War. This powerful story also stars Oscar®-winners Denzel Washington (Best Actor in a Leading Role, Training Day, 2002 and Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Glory, 1989) and Morgan Freeman (Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role, Million Dollar Baby, 2005) as soldiers who fought for their nation as well as their race.

Air Force One
    Air Force One Synopsis
    The fate of the nation rests on the courage of one man. Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight) star in two-time Oscar® nominee Wolfgang Petersen's (The Perfect Storm, Troy) gripping thriller about an uncompromising U.S. President who has just told the world he will not negotiate with terrorists. When Russian neo-nationalists hijack Air Force One, the world's most secure and extraordinary aircraft, the President is faced with a nearly impossible decision to give in to terrorist demands or sacrifice not only the country's dignity, but the lives of his wife and daughter.

Blu-ray Disc Special Feature:
    Director’s Commentary

Air Force One has a run time of approximately 125 minutes and is rated R for violence. Artwork is available at Welcome to SPHE Connect. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at Sony Pictures.

Air Force One
    BD Catalog Number: 26951
    BD UPC Code: 043396269514
    BD Pre-Book: 4/30/09
    BD SRP: $28.95

Glory
    Glory Synopsis
    The heart-stopping story of the first black regiment to fight for the North in the Civil War, Glory stars Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes and Morgan Freeman. Broderick and Elwes are the idealistic young Bostonians who lead the regiment; Freeman is the inspirational sergeant who unites the troops; and Denzel Washington, in an Oscar® winning performance (1989, Best Supporting Actor), is the runaway slave who embodies the indomitable spirit of the 54th Regiment of Massachusetts.

Blu-ray Disc Special Features:
    NEW Virtual Battlefield – Interactive Civil War Guide Map (Blu-ray Exclusive)
    Director’s Commentary
    The Voices of Glory
    The True Story of Glory Continues Narrated by Morgan Freeman
    Original Theatrical Making-of Featurette
    Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
    Crisis of Conscience

Glory has a run time of approximately 122 minutes and is rated R. Artwork is available at Welcome to SPHE Connect. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at Sony Pictures.

Glory
    BD Catalog Number: 16094
    BD UPC Code: 043396160941
    BD Pre-Book: 4/30/09
    BD SRP: $28.95

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am so happy to see GLORY finally released to Blu-ray. It stands
    as my all-time favorite film.

Braveheart, 1776 and Saturday Night Fever round up the top 4.

3. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Good call on Glory - One of the finest films I have ever seen and James Horner's score for it stands as my favourite of all time. This is a film I cannot wait to see on Blu!

4. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Glory is an absolute must-have. The current DVD is only OK. It will be nice to finally delete my HDNet Movies DVR recording.

5. Gekkou

Gekkou Stunt Coordinator

I'll be picking up Glory for sure. I loved it ever since I watched it in my seventh grade history class.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Fortunately I had Glory on the "inform me when announced" list and received an e-mail from Amazon a few days ago.
    Happily ordered already!

Cees

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I think this is the second Glory announcement. Also my all-time favorite movie! (Although Ron's #2-4 aren't quite so high on my list. [​IMG] )

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Great to see Glory coming soon. [​IMG] Hope Sony does right by it.

_Man_

9. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

Glory is great, I will buy it for sure. Air Force One will be amazing on blu-ray. It was a reference disc on DVD ten years ago, so I'm sure the the new edition won't dissapoint. Just think...Air Force One taking off in Dolby Tru HD!!!!

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

AF1 was a fun film, save for one of the lamest special effects shot in modern cinema...the crash scene.

Every time I see that scene, I keep thinking....WTF????? That is REALLY the best they can do?

Sure would be nice if they could get a mulligan on that one and do it again with modern technology, revisionist film making be damned. They could even leave the original crash scene as an "extra" for the purists! ;-)

Brian

11. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

This will be a nice companion to my 24/96 DAD version of the Glory soundtrack, and I hope the image is better than I think it will be - the image (by its very nature) wasn't exactly a visual marvel while the sound was always considered to be very impressive.

12. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

A reference disc? Really? I find that hard to believe given that it was only single-layer...

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

I forget now, but it might've been a reference disc back when it originally came out -- certainly, the audio was considered reference at the time. At that time, RSDL was not common yet -- I'm not even sure if *any* titles used RSDL when AF1 was released. Heck, even the original non-16x9 release of The Rock was considered reference when it came out (and even stayed reference for a while after 16x9 became more common). [​IMG]

Not sure if I'll get AF1 on BD myself -- maybe if/when it's available at some big sale or serious discount...

_Man_

14. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Sony came out with a dual-layered DTS Superbit pressing a year later. That's what he's referring to![​IMG]

15. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Superbit would indeed make more sense, but I thought it was more like four years later, c. 2001, which is too recent for the cited "10 year" timeframe. [​IMG]