SPHE Press Release: A Man For All Seasons Special Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Hailed by The New York Times as
    "…a picture that inspires admiration, courage and thought"

A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS
    SPECIAL EDITION

The Oscar®-Winner for Best Picture Returns on DVD February 20 Including Featurette “The Life of Sir Thomas More”

Culver City, CA (12/18/06) — Winner of six 1967 Academy Awards including Best Picture, A Man For All Seasons: Special Edition arrives on DVD February 20, 2007 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Starring Paul Scofield (The Crucible, Hamlet) as Thomas More, who stood up to King Henry VIII when the king rejected the Roman Catholic Church to obtain a divorce and remarriage, A Man For All Seasons went on to win trophies for Best Picture, Best Director (Fred Zinnemann), Best Adapted Screenplay (Robert Bolt, based on his play), Best Costume Design, Best Cinematography and Best Actor for Scofield.
    A Man For All Seasons is a bold, timeless classic from director Fred Zinnemann also starring Leo McKern (The Omen, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde), John Hurt (Alien, The Elephant Man), Orson Welles (Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil), and Robert Shaw and Wendy Hiller, both of whom received Oscar nominations for their supporting roles. A Man For All Seasons: Special Edition will be available for the SRP of $14.94 and will include a short featurette “The Life of Sir Thomas More.”

Synopsis
    In 16th-century England, the corrupt King Henry VIII (Robert Shaw) betrays the Roman Catholic Church to divorce his wife and marry his latest conquest Anne Boleyn (Vanessa Redgrave). Sir Thomas More (Paul Scofield) is then forced to choose between his principles and duty to his heretical king, who has begun executing the treasonous with increasing frequency. The historically profound battle of ideals also involves Cardinal Wolsey (Orson Welles), Thomas Cromwell (Leo McKern), and More's valiant wife (Wendy Hiller).

Credits
    A Man for All Seasons, directed by Fred Zinnemann and adapted by Robert Bolt from his own acclaimed play, has a run time of 113 minutes and is rated G.

DVD Special Feature
    •“The Life of Sir Thomas More” short featurette

DVD Catalog #: 18085
    DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-18085-7
    DVD Order Date: 1/30/07
    DVD SLP: $14.94

2. Alejandro

Alejandro Stunt Coordinator

What? Only a short featurette? so why bother make an special edition if there's no bonus?. What about a commentary? a making of? Anything!
    I got the previous edition and although I loooove this film I see no reason for a double dip.

3. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

I agree. To call it a "special edition" when the only extra is a short featurette (it must be VERY short since they used this adjective to qualify something that, by definition, is supposed to be short anyway) is absurd. I have the existing DVD and, although I haven't watched it for a long time, I don't recall any particular problems with the technical quality. I'll take another look at it to check that my memory isn't playing tricks on me. Presumably they've remastered the film for the new edition, but I think I'll almost certainly pass on this one.

4. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    The SE is also coming out in the UK and, according to the BBFC, the featurette runs just over 18 minutes.

5. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I think this has also been remixed for stereo for the first time (it was mono in theaters).

6. Mark J Crawford

Stereo remix? I enjoyed the score of this film. If the price is right, I *might* consider it...

7. MikeGale

MikeGale Agent

Doesn't sound so "special" to me either. But what else should we expect from Sony who seems to have no pride in or respect for the Columbia film library?

8. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

One of my all time favorites, too. And since I never got around to picking up the orig. disc, will probably end up going for this one. Though, I admit: doesn't sound particularly "special" to me.

How is the transfer on the orig. disc, anyway?

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

Fantastic. The liner notes mention that it's remastered in HD from the UCLA restoration, which utilized the 35mm original camera negative and the original magnetic sound masters. Maybe a new encode would make it even better (both the dual-format and widescreen-only discs give the 120 min. film a single layer). One of the best mono tracks I've heard (along with Rear Window and The Third Man), too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even with the laughable "special edition" title, this is already marked down to $9 at the cheapest online. This is a great film and especially worth buying at such a low price. Granted that Sony either maintains the great quality of the original release or improves it, of course.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am not at all familiar with this film, but after speaking with a
    credible source, I think I'm going to pick this up.

This will be an all-new transfer from the same UCLA/Sony film
    elements. You should very well expect this release to look
    quite good. The original DVD was a result of an unsupervised
    transfer which looks very desaturated compared to this new one.

This film will be presented in a 1.66 ratio as it was never originally
    released at 1.85.

There will also be a stereo mix on this DVD.

That's all the information I have for you folks. Sounds like this
    will be a worthy double-dip for most, and a first purchase for myself.

11. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Hooray! Thanks for that info Ron! I was hoping that this would also have a new transfer, as I was slightly underwhelmed by the earlier effort. It wasn't horrible by any means, but there was room for improvement. Good to know it's happening.

It's a definite double-dip for me now.[​IMG]

12. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    is it an anamorphic dvd? the dual format version (which I have) was not.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Are you sure about that? The widescreen transfer is 16:9 enhanced on my copy.

Regards,

14. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    My flipper is foolscreen on one side, and anamorphic WS on the other. However, the menus on the WS side are not 16:9, so make certain you actually look at the film. I assumed mine was not anamorphic when I first watched it on an HDTV and was pleasantly surprised to see the picture widen out when the movie started.

Unless the new version involves a stunning new transfer, I think I will pass on it. A short documentary on More is not enough to make me upgrade. A documentary on the film could have included material on the real More, and the transition of his story from history book to stage play to oscar-winning film, etc, but we're not getting that in this version.

15. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    ahh, I guess I was wrong but I was almost certain it wasn't enhanced for widescreen tvs.