What's new

Speed Racer - Blu Ray - Sept 2008 (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Unless it's a marathon, not a sprint
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Unlike those films, SR is a gem, and will have a life after the theatrical release.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It was a facetious exchange, Chuck. I have no opinion on (and no interest in) Speed Racer, with or without lossless audio.

I don't necessarily agree, though, that the second X-Files film will have no life on home video. I could see it doing quite well among fans who didn't want to bother seeing it in the theater. (I did and was one of the viewers who liked it.)

M.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Both X-Files and Speed Racer will be on my shelf (I loved Speed Racer and my wife is a huge X-Files fan). However, I recognize the minority position of my opinion for each of these.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Looks like I might make SR a purchase afterall after reading the surprisingly positive review over at the Bits. I don't own a Dolby TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio reciever yet so the lossy 5.1 track doesn't concern me...at the moment.

Hope to get one for Christmas so i'll cross that lossless bridge when I come to it. Right now i'm just glad that the image is better than we expected. :emoji_thumbsup:

EDIT: To clarify my above statement because I know it sounds bad, the lossless track DOES indeed concern me, it should have one as standard issue on BD and it truly blows that it doesn't, I was merely stating that I can't hear it right now, that's all.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hated it! Sorry guys but I thought it was a garish, digital effects stuffed disaster. It was an assault on the senses...but not in a good way. ..it gave me a headache it was so bad.

By far the bros.worst film. I almost bought it blind, but rented the bluray instead. Saved myself $30!

Sorry Chuck, I tried
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw, the bluray looked fantastic but sounded weak to me.

carpenterfan

Agent
Real Name
briane ivanitski
just wondering if any of you are going to buy speed racer on blu ray , because of no loseless audio? for me absolutely not , hopefully warner will see that the blu ray owners want everything that our new format offers , which includes yes , loseless audio. Does anyone know why they did this ? they used a 25g instead of 50 , why ?:angry:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Netfilx mailed out my copy yesterday so it'll be here today, looking forward to watching it as I never saw it in the theater.

frankie108

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank P
Didn't this movie bomb at the theaters? I would suspect that if Warner's is "laying low" on this release, it's because they expect a one, two punch in the gut on this one. :frowning:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I won't be buying this version of the BD, specifically because of the lack of lossless audio. There is really no excuse (at least none that I would consider valid). I'll wait for the inevitable "collector's edition," complete with what I am sure will be advertised as "a new lossless audio-track, supervised by the directors!" We've seen this song and dance before, with DVD, and I for one won't be fooled this time around.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Never say never but the box office failure of the movie and the studio not taking enough effort to have loseless audio on the release makes a re-release seem to be very low on the list of WB's priorities.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Of course, it all depends on what sales are like on DVD and the initial BD release. This is the kind of movie that in the 80s would have gone gangbusters on VHS after tanking @ the box office. The same thing could happen on DVD/BD. Did I mention that Warner did a lousy job of marketing this?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

That's also part of my point, albeit unsaid. If no "collector's edition" materializes, then I simply won't have ANY copy of the film. The lack of lossless audio on this type of movie specifically -- with its dismal box-office performance, eye-popping visuals and ear-thumping sound effects -- should be banking on making up any lost revenue solely through a BD release showcasing the film as demo material.

Truly a case of missed opportunity, in my opinion.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i guess there isn't going to be a HTF review of the br?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

what doesn't make sense to me is that since it's not any harder to just release with lossless, why the issue needs to be here at all... regardless of the popularity of the film. :frowning:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I watched about 30 minutes of the BD, and I have to agree with TDB's review of the video. It's off the charts good. It cheats a bit by the nature of the film (lots of greenscreen and shiny CG and loads of color), but it pops in some amazing ways.

As video goes, it's demo material alongside the Pixar releases.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm half way though and will finish the rest tomorrow. The video is 5/5, the audio 2/5. Compared to a lossless track; it's flat, weak, and lifeless, other then some low bass moments. I'd love to own this but with such a crappy audio track, no way.

Way to screw up a reference Blu-ray disc Warner!

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
I do hope that those who aren't willing to buy it because of the lossy audio will at least consider renting it. I don't know how much weight rental figures have in determining the timing of a double-dip, since that's all we've got to hope for at this point, but those of us who love the movie would thank you for it.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm at least a couple of years away from lossless audio for BDs (no HDMI receiver for my PS3 yet) and I'm NOT waiting that long to acquire this (I'll keep my views on the "dramatic" differences between lossless and lossy for a more appropriate thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks