What's new

Speed 5-star: disc problems? (1 Viewer)

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had problems with disc 2 of the new Speed 5-star edition?

When I put the disc into my DVD player (Panasonic) it tells me that "this disc is not readable by this player".

Thanks,
-Jack

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Just another data point: Disc 2 plays perfectly in my Panasonic player (RP-91).

Jack, assuming you still have the receipt, you might just take the set back and exchange it for a new copy. It could just be a bad disc: have you got any other players or DVD-ROM drives you can try it in?

doug

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator
Well, in fact, I did try it on a new Sony player and it said that the disc was dirty, but as you know it was just released tuesday, and it's perfectly clean.

I even tried it on a computer, and it froze Windows 98.

Thoughts?
-Jack

Matt_P

Second Unit
No problems on my old timer RCA workhorse (haven't tried it on my other player).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This may be hard for some of you guys to believe...but no troubles at all on my Toshiba SD-1600! :D
Is it me, or I haven't seen a thread like this one in a long time. Maybe manufacturing has improved?

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I popped in disc 2, and my RP-91 pixelized the menu opening, and had no music...then it froze up.

I just opened and closed the tray and it started to pixelize, and then broke itself in with the music, and the menu was fine. The supplements were fine, but they take a while to register a command. Hint: play all trailers, don't choose individually. They take forever.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I'm getting similar problems with disc 2 on my JVC 502SL. Most of the time it loads fine, but sometimes it hangs on menu choices and at least one time it failed to load on insert.

Based on the sporadic reporting of problems and varying machines that either do or don't have problems with it, I'm willing to bet this is a manufacturing problem rather than a mastering one. It looks like some discs were pressed just wrong enough to bother less fault tolerant players out there.

-Lyle J.P.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I posted this on AVS a few days ago. I had the same problem with my Panasonic H1000. I had to power off/eject a few times before it would 'take'. I was then able to to watch it straight through. The next day I wanted to watch the second disc extras, same problem.

The disc may also be flagged wrong as it my player wouldn't go into film mode.

RobE

Auditioning
I've had problems with disc two on my Sony DVP-NS300P. It seems to freeze on the menu screen, and when it's loading certain parts of the behind the scenes stuff and trailers. I got the "C 30 00" or whatever error message one time, so I took it back to best buy to exchange it. Unfortunetely, the new disc is having the same problem :-/.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I had the same problem with my Panasonic H1000.
You did better than I did. My H1000 simply wouldn't load it. Switched to my Sony 7000, and it played just fine (though a bit slow loading).

I suspect this is one of those PITA incompatibilities that only affects certain makes and models of player -- and not on every disc. Still happens from time to time.

M.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
Same problem here. After ten attempts or more it finally played on my Harman Kardon dvd-1.

Armand

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks